Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

low coolant light

Everytime I take out the prob in coolant tank and clean it the light stays off for a few trips. Pretty soon it comes on at start up and then goes out in a few min. How can I fix this to stay out. Tired of removing it to clean. Does anyone know of a fix.
1999 Monaco Dynasty 350 Cummins
JHowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2015, 01:16 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't have an answer. I have the same problem. I am so used to it that I have basically forgotten about it. The low coolant light comes on until the engine warms up, then it stays off for the rest of the day. I guess it helps that I check the coolant level before start up so I know the low coolant light is not telling me the truth.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
They work on a resistance basis........I would say time to replace it and your frequent troubles more than likely will be gone. I would hate to read of it just failing and overheating your cooling system and engine, the part is not that expensive.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/low-...rts-86528.html
Old 05-31-2015, 01:27 PM   #4

Thanks Papa Jim, I am doing the same thing now. Cant find a new one or would try that. Anyone know where to get one. To old i think for a new replacement.
JHowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I did all sorts of things on my 99 Windsor. I cleaned the sensor every few months for a while then added a 220K resistor to ground from the sensor to decrease the sensitivity. That worked for awhile. I reversed engineered the Kysor module and changed the value of a resistor to increase the threshold. That worked for one trip with an oxidized sensor. My final fix was to ground the sensor and check the coolant level by actually looking at the reservoir. A design with two terminal probe works good. The problem is finding one that will reach into the Volvo reservoir far enough. I wonder if this would work?? It is a newer design Volvo sensor. Click image for larger version

Name:	volvocoolantsensor.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	95777.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:09 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I understand as everytime I turn on my headlites the low water lite goes on.
Try and figure that one out, I have been told it is a poor ground to replace the switch but no satisfaction.
I want Freightliner to diagnose but have to wait for them to slot me in.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtBt View Post
I did all sorts of things on my 99 Windsor. I cleaned the sensor every few months for a while then added a 220K resistor to ground from the sensor to decrease the sensitivity. That worked for awhile. I reversed engineered the Kysor module and changed the value of a resistor to increase the threshold. That worked for one trip with an oxidized sensor. My final fix was to ground the sensor and check the coolant level by actually looking at the reservoir. A design with two terminal probe works good. The problem is finding one that will reach into the Volvo reservoir far enough. I wonder if this would work?? It is a newer design Volvo sensor. Attachment 95777.
I chased all the engine grounds, too. The chime stops by the time I'm ready to roll.

I think the new design would work, you would connect one side to sensor and one side to ground. Who wants to buy one and test?
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In regards to the 350 Cummins. Does it have a coolant filter? If it does I would change it as it not only cleans but conditions the coolant.
Not sure if they are still popular.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I finally broke down and bought a new one before my extended warranty expired so it would pick up the bill. Had to add a ground at the probe. It works pretty well, just the odd false alarm but I found that tends to happen when the headlights are on. Killing the lights for a bit gives me a reset (good thing I'm not driving at night). I guess if it ever goes off and the lights aren't on I might really have low coolant!

Greg t
2000 Dynasty
Old 06-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121 View Post
I finally broke down and bought a new one before my extended warranty expired so it would pick up the bill. Had to add a ground at the probe. It works pretty well, just the odd false alarm but I found that tends to happen when the headlights are on. Killing the lights for a bit gives me a reset (good thing I'm not driving at night). I guess if it ever goes off and the lights aren't on I might really have low coolant!

Greg t
2000 Dynasty
Are you saying you bought the new style probe as pictured?
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #11

Count me as the third poster that has had the low coolant light come on when headlights are turned on. I wasted a bunch of new coolant (added in a torrential downpour, I might add) to the overflow tube thinking I had a low coolant problem. When I realized the warning light came on only with the headlights on, I knew it wasn't the sensor but the dash warning light itself. I gave it a good whack with my finger, and presto, the light went off, and hasn't come back on since. Just plain wierd. The moral is that a good thwack sometimes works! Kevin, 2004 Dynasty Baroness
KevinM in FL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light