Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Low Coolant Sensor.

We have been having problems with our low coolant sensor in the surge tank. It started last year and the "Warning" light would light up on the dash when the engine was cold but would go out after the engine warmed up. Manually checking the coolant level showed the level between the high and low marks on the tank and the level above the sensor. A check of stored codes revealed a low coolant level condition. Eventually the "Warning" light would come on and stay on. Of course this condition de-rated the engine and with a headwind we could barely maintain 55mph. It's an intermittent problem - some days it stays on all day and some days we drive all day and it doesn't come on. I have removed the connector and it looks fine - nice and clean and wires tight. Called Monaco this morning and they want $172.33 for a new sensor part # S16619709. Wow! On their website (rvparts.argrv.com) it shows VP#700670 also and I am assuming this is an alternate part number? A quick google of this alternate part number shows a Casco 700679 Universal Cummings Fluid Level Sensor for $70. Note the part number is similar but not exactly the same although it has a 3 wire connector, it runs on AC and has the same thread as the original. Is this a safe gamble buying the Casco part and saving $100? Anyone have experience replacing a low coolant level sensor on a 2009 Cayman? Any comments appreciated!
CaymanPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is a common problem on OTR trucks. If it has the same connector it will work.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #3

You can check for the sensor on ebay, usually find them for around $40. Unknown if there is a difference in the quality. They seem to build up a coating. DH has cleaned them off and after several months they start putting out the low coolant signal again. Ours is difficult to reach, requiring the bed removal and draining the top of the radiator.

If someone knows if there is a quality difference in brands, please share.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Try Cleaning it?

I've had a low alarm and simply used a scotch bright to clean the sensor.

or try this:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mona...ix-156028.html
Tomjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomjhall View Post
I've had a low alarm and simply used a scotch bright to clean the sensor.

or try this:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mona...ix-156028.html

Thanks for the link.

We've cleaned it, but it just extends the repair time. Faster to replace it. It is in a difficult to reach spot, requiring removing the bed and platform top. So a while the sensor itself is not difficult, the access and having to lower the level in the radiator (we use the extended life coolant) is time consuming.

I hope this fix will work for us too.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks all for your replies. I have decided to order the less expensive Casco sensor. I will post after I get it installed and let you all know how it goes.

Link to Monaco sensor

Link to Casco sensor
Old 11-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The Casco low coolant sensor finally arrived and I installed it today. Am happy to say that it works great. Just like Stuhly said above. I am glad I ordered the $70 Casco sensor rather than the $280 sensor from Monaco (Allied). Hope this will help someone else save $$$.

Thanks again to all who contributed on this thread and helped me make the decision to go with the Casco sensor.

PS. The old sensor had a crack in it - no doubt this was causing the intermittent problem.