RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2020, 05:13 AM   #1
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Low kitchen faucet pressure

Recently I replaced the bathroom faucet to make the wife happy. She likes shiny things and the original was showing its age. Kind of surprised Iím not in the landfill as well.
The new one has good pressure. The Thetford toilet has plenty of water pressure.The shower has good pressure.
My inlet source is around 48 -50 lbs. I just used a new pressure regulator with a gauge to measure.
All restrictors have been removed long long ago.
Since the kitchen faucet was showing some age we decided to change it. It never had good pressure. Finding the restrictor in the base of the sprayer handle it was removed. The pressure from this new faucet is not at all what I would like. It is about the same as the old faucet but still insufficient for my likes.
Here is what I would like to compare it with. A hand sprayer on the end of a garden hose sprays at least 20 feet. My well pump puts out 55 lbs.
My outside shower (with a garden hand sprayer adapted), sprays nearly the same distance as the garden hose. Not as much volume of course but seemingly much higher pressure than the kitchen faucet.
Using the water pump versus shoreline water the kitchen faucet has almost identical pressure.
What I donít have is a schematic of the path the water takes to the kitchen sink. There was a large filter at one time in a small compartment but that has long past been bypassed.

I know there are check valves and manual valves all over. I have replaced a couple of the ball check valves over the years and perhaps there lies the issue. Do these ball check valves act like pressure reducers? If so, why is my bathroom sink,shower, and toilet seemingly working fine?

The kitchen is not a drizzle but is just adequate. I sure wish I could find where there is any restriction in that path.
A year or two ago I replaced my hose reel hose. It seems to be a bit narrower than the original hose. I would think this would effect flow and not pressure but I am not an expert here.
Give me an electrical schematic and Iím on it but the path this water flows is a bit of a mystery.
If someone has a diagram of the plumbing in a 2008 HR I sure would appreciate seeing it.

Cheers.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2020, 07:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Myron,

Here's something else to think about. Years ago, when California was going through a pretty good drought, the law changed requiring manufactures of plumbing products to limit the water flow through most all devices. About the only device that wasn't regulated were bath tub faucets. To meet those requirements, many manufactures installed those easily removed/by-pass washers you're familiar with.

As time went on, some manufactures designed their devices to restrict their flow. They often designed it so if you did want the "volume", plumbers were actually taking a drill bit to the insides of faucets. When I first saw that happening to some very expensive faucets, it didn't give me a 'warm and fuzzy' feeling, but it did give the client the results they wanted.

Every faucet manufacture approached the restriction differently, and I am sure not an expert on the different ones. Unfortunately, there is not just 1 solution for all the different manufactures.

A easy way to determine if the restriction is your faucet or your plumbing is to disconnect the water supply where it connects to the faucet under the sink. Point the supply line into a bucket and turn the water on. A good stream that is splashing should be providing the necessary pressure/volume.

If it is your faucet, you can you tube your make and model and get ideas how to by-pass.

Good luck.

windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
YC1

Wow, Windsorbill I think you may have nailed it. I looked at the hole in the hose and the diameter is rather meek.

Thanks for the fast feedback. I guess I just need to bring in a cheap old garden hose sprayer. Hmmm,

Any chance a commercial spray head has better flow?? If there is such a thing. I remember in my old dish washing days in a restaurant the spray head would take chrome off a bumper hitch.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Some commercial faucets do get around the flow requirements but those are hard to find and very expensive. I doubt you would like the looks of it and I don't know how they would function with the 50psi or so pressures we're running.

What make and model faucet did you end up getting? I'd do a you tube research first before I made any decisions. Some of those guys can be pretty creative.

As a last resort, take your garden hose, run it through the side window and put a nozzle on the end.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Some commercial faucets do get around the flow requirements but those are hard to find and very expensive. I doubt you would like the looks of it and I don't know how they would function with the 50psi or so pressures we're running.

What make and model faucet did you end up getting? I'd do a you tube research first before I made any decisions. Some of those guys can be pretty creative.

As a last resort, take your garden hose, run it through the side window and put a nozzle on the end.
I bought a cheapie $120 faucet at Lowes. Cheap is relative compared to the coach price new of course. Paid around $1000 for on in the sticks and bricks some time ago. It was a beauty though.

I'm thinking a garden hose through the window would work but the darn mosquitoes here in Florida are as big as bats. Sealing the hole could be an issue.

Someone mentioned they replaced their on board pump and used that versus the shore line water because the pump had a great pressure. Wish I could find my notes on the model he mentioned.

I did another close look at mine and removed the check valve in the handle just as a test but also noticed the pea size hole the hose has. Maybe I can find a better hose that fits.

Oh well, it is a lesson and thanks so much for the advice.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Have you cleaned the defuser screen on the discharge outlet of the faucet?
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Myron,

The one below has worked great for me.

My original, which was the predecessor to this one, lasted 9 years.
This one has been in 4 years. And, I fill the tank and use the water pump exclusively.

MFG P/N: 55AQUAJET-ARV 5.3 GPM 65 PSI

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Aquaj.../aquajetrv.htm

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #8
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
Have you cleaned the defuser screen on the discharge outlet of the faucet?
Certainly. I even removed all the hardware to remove any blockage.

It really appears the inlet hose is just too small for the given water pressure.

Really annoying after replacing a decent faucet.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #9
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Myron,

The one below has worked great for me.

My original, which was the predecessor to this one, lasted 9 years.
This one has been in 4 years. And, I fill the tank and use the water pump exclusively.

MFG P/N: 55AQUAJET-ARV 5.3 GPM 65 PSI

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Aquaj.../aquajetrv.htm
Harry, I believe you just nailed it. I seem to remember this from our seminar in Feb. I remember someone saying it had 65 lbs and was a variable something or other. Not cheap but sure looks good.

New pump is on the way. Another 20-25 lbs of pressure at the sink should help a lot. I will keep you posted on results in a couple of days.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
This probably wont' help but what the heck: In our new-to-us Cayman the filtered water was only a dribble. I thought old filter. Found a Pitson (ball) valve under it's inlet, shut the valve, replace the filter -- no improvement. Then I bent my aged carcass farther down and saw a second Pitson valve at the top of the filter, mostly closed. Opened that -- great flow. Could there be a valve hidden high up in the cabinetry you haven't found?
Urban Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM   #11
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hermit View Post
This probably wont' help but what the heck: In our new-to-us Cayman the filtered water was only a dribble. I thought old filter. Found a Pitson (ball) valve under it's inlet, shut the valve, replace the filter -- no improvement. Then I bent my aged carcass farther down and saw a second Pitson valve at the top of the filter, mostly closed. Opened that -- great flow. Could there be a valve hidden high up in the cabinetry you haven't found?
I sure appreciate your input. We have owned the RV since new and the kitchen water pressure has always been less than the bathroom. My wife wanted a new faucet so I obliged and found the problem now worse. It is not a trickle and does the job. It is ample but I am an inpatient man.

Finally determined to solve this one I bought a gauge to measure actual water pressure. The incoming is from a well and is not high. About 42 lbs when it gets to the rv.

Trying to chase the plumbing in this thing is difficult but this time I was going to chase the path. At one time it had a large whole house filter but that was a pain and I took it out and put a softener in its place. That is NOT in because we have great water here and don't need it.

A few years ago I had to replace a ball check valve in the hot water heater and decided another one needed replacing too. Probably was dripping or overfilling the tank. I do not recall.

I also replaced the hose reel hose a couple of years ago and thought perhaps this smaller hose was contributing to the issue.

I have now gone through the pex piping path and removed many feet and about 20 elbows and tees. The system is far simpler now so I hoped there might be a tiny bit of inprovement.

While doing this I changed out the water pump to one that puts out 65 lbs.

Although there is a slightly noticeable improvement it did not bring me the joy I would have hoped for.

So I must believe the previous suggestions that it is the design of the water faucet itself that limits the flow.

Live and learn. What a hobby.

Thanks all