Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Exclamation Low Voltage

It is summer time again and we have started using our AC's, Can you tell me at what voltage I need to start being concerned about my air conditioners being damaged because of low voltage. I purchased a volt meter that plugs into an electrical outlet, I have my coach plugged into 30amp at my office. It reads between 107-110 most of the time. I am in the process of building a garage with 50 amp service. About a couple of days before we go on a trip O turn on the refrigerator and also let one of the AC's run that it might be cool when we leave but I noticed the voltage and now have concern about my leaving ceremony.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The standard voltage is 120v +/- 10%, which is 108-132v.

Most energy management systems disconnect about 103-104 volts to prevent damage.

107-110 is OK, but it's getting close to the cut off point.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #3

107 to 110 should be good. What does it read in the MH with the AC off? What does it read for voltage at the outlet where the MH is plugged in by your office? Are you running through an extension cord? If so how long is it and what gauge is it. The biggest and best extension cord that I have found it from Lowes and it is orange and made by Rigid.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are running close to the 107 volts, put the frig on propane and the water heater on propane. This can pick you up a couple of critical volts.

The newer A/C units will usually do OK down to 107 volts but not much lower. You need to check your voltage in the RV with the A/C running.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I start to get concerned at 110 volts and start shutting down when it drops below that.. I think 105 is the "official" minimum voltage for most hardware.. Switching power supplies and converters may be able to go lower.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #6

The manual for your air conditioner should give you the voltage operating range. I would be concerned if it fell below 108.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
107 to 110 should be good. What does it read in the MH with the AC off? What does it read for voltage at the outlet where the MH is plugged in by your office? Are you running through an extension cord? If so how long is it and what gauge is it. The biggest and best extension cord that I have found it from Lowes and it is orange and made by Rigid.
It usually goes back up to 116-120 with AC off. When I check the receptacle I usually get 120. It reads about 108-107 with AC and refrigerator running.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I am not running through an extension cord, for now I had a receptacle installed 30A and plug in directly. We are building a garage that I will have 50 A. The recepticle runs 120V
Old 05-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #9

Well then the current wiring in the house/office is nor heavy enough gauge to handle that AC unit. You are getting too much voltage drop through the wiring. No biggy if it stays at 107+ volts for now. I have found the best way to run a AC like that is to turn it to max cool so it doesn't cyle because they draw big time amps when that compressor is kicking on. With low voltage the impedance goes up so the warmer the compressor motor will run. When we lived in southern Japan they were 100 volts and we ran both an US built AC window unit and a refrig with a stepup transformer that took us to 108-110 volts but it was always a little lower. Had no problems. How hot is the outlet where you are plugged in and the circuit breaker for that circuit. Is a 15 amp or a 20 amp breaker? If you frig can run on propane when the AC is on then that would be better. Now my wife will plug in her hair curling iran and blow the breaker at this point.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You do need to be concerned about the voltage drop, but not because of what might happen to the AC or Refrigerator. I would be worried about what might be happening to your house wiring. When there is a voltage drop it is because of the resistance in the wire and that equals heat. I would check on the length and gauge of the wire to see if can support a draw of 20 to 30 amp. Just because there is a 30 amp receptacle doesn't mean the wiring is sufficient. Some older homes used aluminum wire for long runs for things like electric range or clothes dryer. I have found that if you don't have very good mechanical connecting a each junction you will have a high resistance connection.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
You do need to be concerned about the voltage drop, but not because of what might happen to the AC or Refrigerator. I would be worried about what might be happening to your house wiring. When there is a voltage drop it is because of the resistance in the wire and that equals heat. I would check on the length and gauge of the wire to see if can support a draw of 20 to 30 amp. Just because there is a 30 amp receptacle doesn't mean the wiring is sufficient. Some older homes used aluminum wire for long runs for things like electric range or clothes dryer. I have found that if you don't have very good mechanical connecting a each junction you will have a high resistance connection.
Thanks I did not think about that, We are going to fix that problem with a new garage with 50A service
Old 07-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have a surge protector for my 50A service and it trips when the voltage on one of the legs goes below 104. I am having a problem with the shore power at the park we are staying at - one leg runs about 108 at the pole and the other about 113 but I am reading about 3 volts less on my digital readout at the coach. The shore line is only about 50' long. Should I be getting a 3 volt drop in my shore line???

Also, it appears that all the load is on the L2 leg (about 22A) and the other L1 leg shows no amps. Is this normal?? L2 is the one that shows about 105 at the coach. I would think that the amps would be spread out between the two legs.
M&Aeller is offline   Reply With Quote