Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Low Water Pressure on City Water

We have been experiencing a low water pressure issue when connected to RV park water. This has been ongoing for several months, but seems to be getting worse. If the water pump is turned on, water pressure is fine. I believe that would indicate the cause of the low water pressure exists before the water reaches the filter, since the water pump comes immediately before the filter. I took as many things apart in the water bay as I could, and I found a check valve in the city water connection. I jiggled the valve a bit, went in and turned on the kitchen faucet, and the pressure was great. After reading other posts about similar issues, I then ran the pump to make sure that I hadn't damaged the check valve or would get leakage at the fresh water inlet when using the pump. However, the water pressure is low again. Our owner's manual states "Your motorhome comes with a pressure regulator" but I can't find one anywhere (unless it's actually the piece to which you connect the hose). I'm of the opinion that the check valve needs to be replaced, but I would check the pressure regulator if I could find it. Does anyone know where the pressure regulator is located? Has anyone changed the check valve?
NINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you checked the water pressure at the shore tie? It might not be a problem in you RV.

We travel with a pressure gauge to check the bib before connection...and CampGround water pressures can run low for reasons including...
The CG mgmt doesn't upgrade the feed from the utility...too many sites on their feed.
The CG mgmt runs a low pressure on purpose to avoid issues with campers who do not have/use a regulator.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #3

We see this question posted fairly often. In a higher end coach like an 01 Sig I'd expect a regulator somewhere. Monaco liked the Watt H560. On mine it was behind the sliding panel in the rear storage bay, on the wet bay side. Usually near the water tank and water pump.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #4

Check valve problem

On our coach, Monaco built it with a "pressure regulator" (actually, a flow restrictor) in the city water connection. As soon as the coach was out of warranty, I replaced that with a plain vanilla check valve, something like this: Recessed Water Inlet - Valterra A01-0177LF - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World

My water pressure improved.

Of course, I have an real pressure regulator that I use at the hose bib.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had this problem last year, and it got worse over the summer. My tank fill was taking so long to fill I was frustrated.

I ended our summer trip thinking that the entire west coast had terrible water pressure, only to discover that my home water pressure had dropped too.

A few months later it was time to winterize, and the first thing I did was remove my water filter. Looking at the filter, I started questioning why it was so bad looking, and it all started to make sense.

The water filter is inline between the city hookup and the tank. Filling the tank and using city water requires filtration, and when it is used up, water runs slower!

After a new filter was installed this spring, everything works much better!

I would add that to your list of things to check.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The check valve is easy, and inexpensive to replace. It may be sticking and restricting the intake flow. If it is sticking you could spill a lot of water into the basement if your underway. I know that from experience. I have since used a screw in plug on the water intake. If you said you got good pressuire after you jiggled it I would start there. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see Red baron beat me to it.. You have described a clogged whole house filter.. Also the inlet may be getting gunked up (But I doubt it) if your inlet is a pressure regulator it may be dying of old age... I recently bought a new regulator and ran some tests.

I have several regulators here.. I did not test the small cylinder shaped ones (Standard and high flow) since I already know they seriously restrict the flow from back in my trailer days.

The Watts I have is damaged, and I'm unable to test but .. Read on

The Sur-Flo I have is identical to the regulator used on many motor homes as part of the inlet.. This unit, when new was a dang close 2nd to the Watts, when new, but today, No-load 50 PSI, loaded 20.

The Watts was approaching the same thing as it aged

What has happened.. Inside the unit is a spring and a diaphragm and a valve,, The Diaphragm gets old and "Stiff" and thus the valve does not open far enough.

The brand new ZURIN.. Static 50 psi, Loaded (outside shower was the load by the way) 50 psi. Needle did not even wiggle.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OP said: "If the water pump is turned on, water pressure is fine. I believe that would indicate the cause of the low water pressure exists before the water reaches the filter, since the water pump comes immediately before the filter."

Are you all saying the water from the on-board pump is not filtered...I would doubt that.

If not low city water pressure, then the restriction would be between the city water connection and the filter...probably within the first few feet of on-board line(?)
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hi all. Thanks for the replies. My apologies, as I believe it would have been better to state low water "flow", instead of low water pressure. In answer to the questions: The pressure at the RV parks where we've stayed doesn't seem to be the cause of the low water flow in our coach. The pressure at the faucets has been good and neighboring RVers have not experienced the same low water flow in their RVs. We changed both filters last month and the low water flow did not improve. We always use a water pressure regulator at the hose bib, unless it is determined we don't need it. When we turn on the pump in the RV, the water flow/pressure is what we would expect it to be. Yesterday, when I bypassed what I thought was the flow restrictor, the flow was good until I ran the pump, then it returned to its usual low flow. Based on what we're experiencing, I think Denali and Scarab0088's second post might be on the right track.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would call Monaco tech support and find out where the pressure regulator is located on you coach!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not suggesting that this is your problem - just offering additional "food for thought".... If the flow at your galley sink is less than at other faucets, and you have one of those faucets in the galley that has a sprayer and hose incorporated in it, be aware that these faucets have a back-flow arrestor inside of them. The purpose is to prevent syphoning of dirty water back into your fresh water tank, should you drop the sprayer into the sink.

Mine was so stiff that I had difficulty getting enough flow at the galley sink to keep the sprayer on. I simply took the end of the faucet apart and removed the back-flow arrestor. After that, I had much better water flow in the galley.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Well, after studying the responses, I decided I would put everything back together the way it's supposed to be, and on a whim I decided to change the pressure regulator that was on our water hose at the faucet. Lo and behold, when I changed the pressure regulator, the water flow returned to what we think it should be. I then switched back to the pressure regulator that was previously on the hose and the flow decreased. We had checked the screen of the old pressure regulator, but didn't see any sediment that would block the flow. We switched back to the new regulator and the water flow is great. So, for now, I believe the problem is solved. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CONGRATS!! I just knew it wasn't an issue in your RV!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #14

Thanks for posting the resolution.

Tags
water