Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Low water pressure on city water only

I have a problem and it is slowly getting worse. When I hook to city water, I have very little flow out of any sink, toilet, or shower. It works perfect when I turn on the water pump.

I have done the following:

1) Replaced the whole house water filter behind the wet bay wall.
2) Removed the pressure regulator from the city water source.
3) Unrolled all the water hose off the automatic reel.

Looking for suggestions on what else to look for.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I was going to bet on the in line filter until I saw you replaced that... although replacing them with too fine a filter can still restrict flow considerably.

Do you have an anti-siphon valve on the inlet that could be failing? Has this happened on multiple city water connections? Have you measured the PSI at the inlet? You can pick up an inexpensive gauge which can give you a better idea of what you're dealing with.

I'm sure some Monaco experts will be along soon with better ideas.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You may have a defective back-flow valve or what is commonly called a water restrictor located after you 3-way City/Fresh Water Fill Valve.

I would remove the POS permanently. You don't need it.

However, always use a decent household water pressure regulator unless you can verify that the shore water supply is NEVER over 60 lbs at any time during the day or night.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #4

There is usually a screen where you connect your hose to your motor home. Make sure it is clean. It's hard to see as you hook up as it is sometimes coated with white junk and may match the fitting. Check here, it happened to me just filling my fresh.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
When I had this problem I also removed the factory regulator and replace with a Watts adjustable wih gauge. (I was going to do this anyway). After verifying pressure, it was better but still not right. I then took apart all hose connections looking for washer/screens. I found 3 and all were partially blocked with sand/debris. I removed all but one and replaced with just washers. Problem solved. I left one in the hose at the park connection so I could inspect at each hookup.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I have taken the city/fill valve out, all looks good and expells proper amount of water. Removed the water filter and reinstalled, twice. Verified it fills on both the pump and city water. As the pump is not an issue, that rules out the filter.

However, I changed nothing, but now have better pressure inside. Go figure. Sure it is temporary, and will get back on it when it slows down again.

My next idea, since it is a flow problem. Is to make a short hose with the proper fitting to go to the female pex and time filling a container. Keep moving down the line till I see lower flow.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some coaches come with a built in water pressure regulator, usually a Sur-Flow (A Watts company) Built into the city water inlet. I have used one of those for like six years, When new I was happy well, 95% happy with the water flow but alas,,, No more, I took it out of line (Mine was an "In-line" version, same exact regulator but with a garden hose male fitting on the outlet actually it's a 1/2 inch IPT to garden hose adapter on the outlet, same exact regulator right down to the outlet fitting) I now use a 3/4" Watts inline.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
it would help if you provide the year/model of your Monaco, and also if it has an electric hose reel or not.

most often, flow/pressure problems are going to be due to sediment screens, as suggested.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #9

I've notice that the "RV" specific white hoses tend to get an internal obstruction when they get old. Has happened to two or more of mine.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #10

Does theCcamelot have a switch for filling the tank from the city water inlet? If so you will also have an Asco Red Hat solenoid valve. Sometimes there can be sediment inside the valve that blocks the flow.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #11

Isn't the check valve where the water hose attaches "only" a check valve and not a pressure regulator?
Mckeerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckeerw
Isn't the check valve where the water hose attaches "only" a check valve and not a pressure regulator?
If there is a check valve in the initial fresh water inlet, it would be more commonly called a backflow preventer. It really depends on the mfg on what they put where. On my rig, it had a pressure regulator on the "city water" side of the the system. On the fill tank side, there was not.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
it would help if you provide the year/model of your Monaco, and also if it has an electric hose reel or not.

most often, flow/pressure problems are going to be due to sediment screens, as suggested.

It is a 2008 Monaco Camelot and is in my sig line.

I am fixed right now, even thought I don't know what I did.

See post 6.

Thanks all.

Tags
water