RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #1

lower carridge for carefree colorado one touch awning

I have a 2004 HR Neptune and need a lower carridge for the carefree colorado one touch awning on the left (non-motorized) arm. The carefree part number is R00839. It is no longer available from the manufacturer. I have tried different RV wreckers and so far no luck. Any suggestions on how to find this part, any help is appreciated. A picture of the part is shown below.
Thanks,
Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carefree awning lower carridge.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	9922  

the koesters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I used this site: www.toys4rvs.com I ordered an extra bottom roller assembly and a top holder with the "T" plastic piece that connects to the small cylinder strut. Be sure to make extra roller pins and have on hand if one is lost (common problem). You can make these (no longer avail. on-line) by cutting a piece of round stock metal to the same length as the original pin. As you know, the roller assemblies must be tapped in place with a hammer. I suggest removing one leg at a time with some help of a ladder or support to hold up the awning and an assistant with the awning extended. After removing the slide cover, cut it in half for much easier removal next time. Add additional springs to each leg for better strap tention during retraction. This poor design's biggest problem is correct strap tention during retraction. If the straps roll up correctly and the spring tention is OK, then when you extend next time, the strap on either side unwraps correctly and does not wrap around, bind up, etc. This binding causes the roller assemblies/pins, and other parts to eventually break. If you can watch and keep the straps loose while extending, it will last alot longer. Just go slow while extending. Also, do not follow the tentioning alignment in the manual. Adjust for alittle less tentioning on both sides. The awning will still work just fine without the plastic parts being stressed so much. PM me if you have other questions. I have decided to baby the Carefree One Touch 12VDC awning along for awhile. There are replacement arms for it that have the new hydralic strut design. You can keep the original roller and shade. May get those later.

Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radarman View Post
I used this site: www.toys4rvs.com I ordered an extra bottom roller assembly and a top holder with the "T" plastic piece that connects to the small cylinder strut. Be sure to make extra roller pins and have on hand if one is lost (common problem). You can make these (no longer avail. on-line) by cutting a piece of round stock metal to the same length as the original pin. As you know, the roller assemblies must be tapped in place with a hammer. I suggest removing one leg at a time with some help of a ladder or support to hold up the awning and an assistant with the awning extended. After removing the slide cover, cut it in half for much easier removal next time. Add additional springs to each leg for better strap tention during retraction. This poor design's biggest problem is correct strap tention during retraction. If the straps roll up correctly and the spring tention is OK, then when you extend next time, the strap on either side unwraps correctly and does not wrap around, bind up, etc. This binding causes the roller assemblies/pins, and other parts to eventually break. If you can watch and keep the straps loose while extending, it will last alot longer. Just go slow while extending. Also, do not follow the tentioning alignment in the manual. Adjust for alittle less tentioning on both sides. The awning will still work just fine without the plastic parts being stressed so much. PM me if you have other questions. I have decided to baby the Carefree One Touch 12VDC awning along for awhile. There are replacement arms for it that have the new hydralic strut design. You can keep the original roller and shade. May get those later.
Did you locate the Awning Strap Guide for the one-step Carefree of Colorado?
rhjokie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Old Carefree One-Touch Strap Arms

I have replaced the old Carefree Electric One-Touch arms with the Traveller arms upgrade. That worked out great. The old arms are gone. The only parts I have left are 2 sets of wind braces, upper carriage assembly, and lower carriage assembly. Anyone who wants them, let me know.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had to have the lower carriage replaced in one arm several years ago. Then two years ago we got a couple of quick, strong gusts of wind that pretty much gutted both arms of plastic pieces and turned one arm into a pretzel. We got the Eclipse arms kit using our roller and fabric ...love the Eclipse. It works much smoother, and is designed to handle those gusts much better w/o folding an arm in half. Usable pieces of the One-Touch went to a guy up by Ft Worth who found use for most I believe.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #6

I need the upper carraige but if you still have the parts I may take everything--let me know price. Thanks Laura P.S. we also have a chihuahua named Bandit
wheats1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Wheats1040,
Sorry, but all my parts went to another RVer also.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #8

Thanks for the response-I was able to find the parts from a guy Carefree recommended.

wheats1040 is offline   Reply With Quote