Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2021, 05:47 PM   #1

Macerater pump question

New to us 07 Monaco Diplomat has a sewage pump. All my previous coaches just had a sewage tube, open, larger.

When dumping now is takes longer, must turn on the pump. When at a site w/sewage hookup how do you operate? Let the tanks fill and run the pump? I think the only pump switch is in the basement? I’m sure I’m doing something wrong. Thx.

Dwight Gorsuch. 07 Monaco Diplomat 400
GDGorsuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2021, 06:14 PM   #2

Sounds like you are doing it right. You do not want to leave the black drain open at the camp site anyway. You should keep some water in there so the solids don't build up even if you had a gravity setup.
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:46 PM   #3

Grey water valve can be left open and the tank will drain through the sani-con system with the macerator off. As with standard 'big' hose systems, the black tank valve should always be shut until ready to dump. To empty black tank just open the valve and start the pump. Use the black tank flush as normal and/or collect grey water before you plan to dump black tank and use it to flush the discharge lines after black dump.

I personally like the sani-con but many do not because it 'takes more time' to empty the tanks. To me the convenience of not having to disconnect hoses every time - just take off one small cap on the discharge end - made it my preferred method. Expanding / stretch hose is easier to handle in the wet bay and much less mess IMHO.
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
As your unit is a 2007 year model, you may want to see about having the impeller on the pump replaced. I have a 2009 and have replaced the impeller twice already. It is not a difficult job just a little nasty. If the impeller is shot it will take a long time to drain.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #5

We just traded our '06 Dynasty. Downsizing A BUNCH!! But I made sure to purchase a "portable" Sanicon for the new rig. We really do love the Sanicon, if it's possible to love something that deals with that sort of thing!!

I agree with keeping the gray valve open, but we only do that for extended stays. When we do empty the tanks, I try to have at least a half tank of gray water. I always tried to close the gray valve a couple of days before emptying the tanks. I then open the black and let it drain completely. Then, without closing the black valve, I open the gray valve for six or seven seconds, leaving the Sanicon running. I then close the gray, again, and let the black tank empty, again. I like to do this three or four times. I always got a little more "material" by virtue of the back-flushing action from the gray tank. Also, if you go down the road a ways before dumping, you can go a long ways towards reducing lasting deposits on the walls and floor of your black tank.

Then, on the last time, I let the black tank pump empty then open the gray for maybe four or five seconds and close the black valve. I do that so that there is nearly zero chance of capturing un-digested toilet paper in the black valve slot where the valve seats, when closed, as relatively "clean" water is flowing towards the black tank rather than black tank contents flowing outward. That also leaves a wee bit of a cushion in the black tank to start the next "batch".

You're doing it right. Just sharing a couple of thoughts that served us well for over 15 years in our Dynasty. These thoughts have proven to be helpful with our tank maintenance, and with really zero additional effort. Also, if your hose is over six or seven years, you might want to consider purchasing a spare. When they start to leak, you don't want to deal with them, you want to pitch them. Otherwise the "Sani" part goes away! In over 15 years with our coach, the 3" hose that came with it was never used, ever, not once! Cheers for Sanicon!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
"Grey water valve can be left open and the tank will drain through the sani-con system with the macerator off."

Maybe... Some older (and maybe newer too, but I dunno) SaniCon systems do not have the little bypass tube to allow gray water to go around the SaniCon pump, so they won't simply drain that way by themselves.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:43 AM   #7

The older ones have the bypass tube that allows the gray to flow, and researching a new replacement, they say the new one will drain through the pump as long as the tank is above the drain.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I too was new to the Sanicon when I bought my coach 3.5 years ago, but I love it. It’s easy peasy.

As mentioned above, you need to open up the unit and check the blue rubber impeller. It’s designed to wear out over time and will take much longer to dump without the “wings” on the impeller. It’s an easy job. You will find information on how to do it on this forum or YouTube.
https://www.google.com/search?q=SHUR...te=imgv&imgv=0
Old 05-17-2021, 04:01 AM   #9
YC1

Post a picture of the water bay please.

Here are some pictures of modifications that may be useful.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqrv2TUdbV6xjy72...oiC9f?e=a3jwUv

If your macerator is buried in the back corner and covered with a plastic housing, remove all of that and leave the macerator loose.

While it is loose, clean and replace the impeller if needed but it should empty the tank in about ten minutes or so.

It should have a (gray water bypass) as suggested. The owners manual should tell you how to do a proper dump.

Leave the Gray open until the night before leaving to build up some.
Pull the black tank valve (after testing with the gray valve) for leaks.

Close gray valve and turn on black tank and pump. Let it run till the motor revs up. Stop the motor. Open the Gray valve and let the water in that tank level up into the Black tank. Shut gray off, turn pump on again.

This back and forth can be a done a couple of times to rinse the black tank a bit.

Then run the gray dry.

When I can the macerator is actually just stored in the opposite side of my water bay after modifying it to open versus being screwed shut.

I use the large slinky hose 99% of the time for quick dumps. It is indeed far quicker and not as annoying at 7 am when the neighbors least appreciate it.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump