Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #1

Macerator

02 Monaco signature ... No macerator... Can anyone recommend best one out there to use with this coach/ install or portable which would be best
Marc
Usnret05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #2

Hey Marc,

Thanks for your service.

When I bought my Sig, I just knew that one of my first purchases would be a mascerator. I still haven't bought one and here is the reason:

When I started reading up on the subject, I discovered that there is an argument that the old 3" slinky does a better job of evacuating the contents of the black tank due to the much greater volume and speed of draining the tank. That argument made so much sense to me that I bought a cople of Lengths of Rino sewer hose and extended the sewer hose storage located just in front of the driver axle to hold all the hose and forgot about the mascerator. If I were going to buy one I would get the portable unit that Camping World sells.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
I really haven't found a need for a macerator at campgrounds; however I would like to have one so I could dump the tanks from my driveway into a sewer cleanout I have at home, it's just so rare that I need to do this at home it's hard to justify the cost. There's a KOA about 5 miles away that I use when needed for $10.
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
I bought and installed a Sani-Con on my 02 Ambassador. Never had a problem with it. I tied into the power from the bay heater in the untilty bay. Took about an hour to install, and I bought the optional extra hose so I could dump at the house clean out. Comes in handy. My neighbor bought the portable version for his fifth wheel and likes it. My 07 Scepter came with one installed. Never had a problem with it on either coach.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
In my opinion,and only because my coach has one, save your money. Plus they take to long to an unpleasant task.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll let others testify as to success with current kits (Sani Con, for example). I had a Johnson-Pump macerator left over from my days of boat ownership. So I adapted it to my rig. I do, on occasion, use the 3" flex hose, and there is something to be said about fast evacuation of the holding tanks.

That said, I have been in two rather rustic campgrounds where sewer was not provided at the site. To use the dump at these campgrounds, I actually had to pump the waste up hill (the "rise" was about 18"). Boy, the macerator came in REAL handy.

Also, I've dry-camped several times and had to use a blue-boy to tote the waste to the dump area. Using the macerator in this environment makes things REALLY clean at the rig. For example, when the job is completed at my rig, I can wash out the short-length of garden hose easily (rather than wash out a 10-foot long 3" hose). And when dry camping, use of fresh-water is at a premium, so again: washing out the short length of garden hose works out better.

So:
My answer is that if you've got the cash, purchase and use of a macerator makes some conditions better. Use the macerator all the time? Exclusively? No.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timdriver View Post
In my opinion,and only because my coach has one, save your money. Plus they take to long to an unpleasant task.
Totally opposite feeling here. I'll never again be without one.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have the one I bought from Camping World that I clamp on to a short flexible 3" hose connected to the DRAIN. When I want to use the long 3" hose for FAST evacuation I connect it up. The BEST of both sh-t-y worlds. Don't forget to remove the end cap before turning on the pump. I did and I could have make a nice stinky internet video. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'll never be without one. No messing with the 3" hose. I never clean the macerator hose, just screw the cap back on and put it away.

-I don't know if the suction power of a 3" hose is that big of an issue.

-As to speed, I can dump my tanks as fast as our friends because I'm not spending time cleaning hoses or putting them away.

-Hook ups at campgrounds is quick and easy and clean, just one connection.

-Another feature that we use on occasion is the ability to equalize the two tanks when we need a little extra grey water space. Just open both valves and let the grey flow into the black.

-The above is also help for a quick tank dump without wash out water. I just dump the black and let the grey fill/equalize into the black tank. The soapy grey water fills the black tank and then rinses it out.

Mine is 7 years old and I just replaced the rubber impeller and cleaned the grinder as a preventative measure. It has never failed me.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #10

Good morning peeps ... Thanks everyone for their remarks and input... Greatly appreciated
Marc......
Usnret05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If folks DW or whomever have long hair...even being careful it will clog and stop about every two years. Taking it apart and cleaning is no big deal on an end attach unit. The ones I've seen plumbed in would be a BEAR!!!

I concur with Robi on usage...that's about what we do.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have a SaniCon as original equipment, tried it the first time in 2.5 years and I can see where some might like it. However I'll reserve its use in the future to those instances where I need to pump up hill.

In my installation the orientation of the tank outlet is at a 45 degree angle to, and close to the sewer bay pass out port. If the SaniCon inlet hose is connected then there's insufficient access to pass the discharge hose through the pass out. Putting the discharge hose out first then connecting up the inlet means that I can't retrieve the discharge hose without disconnecting the inlet which results in a lot of sewage discharged in the sewer bay, on my shoes, etc.

So the tried and true 3 inch hose works best in most cases for me. YMMV
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
CaptPat, The center section between the tank release valves can rotate to acquire a suitable position. But still step back the first time.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I bought one at Camping World, I think it was Clean Dump? but it works great and when heading home you don't have to worrry about dumping, you get home open up the sewer clean-out on your home sewer and put the hose is and turn it on, good this it it will function at a long distance and uphill slightly. Marcerator is a good investment!
RV_Road_Trip is offline   Reply With Quote