Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
When I rebuilt mine, besides the expected hair in the blades, I had a cloth wipe of some sort also wrapped up in the blades and it actually formed a cone up into the inlet of the pump. When I finally got that removed and down to the impeller, virtually nothing was left of the impeller except the hub, and it was still working! I used it for the first time since the rebuild last week, it's about 3 times faster.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Where is the best place to buy the 70475 Impeller?

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Up N Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
One thing I learned usisng a macerator. Use a WHOLE LOT MORE water when using the toilet then you're accustomed too. That should alleviate any further blockage problems.
Yes, extra water helps.

Last month, we spent a week dry camping. In an effort to save water, and maximize holding tank capacity, we were stingy with the water when flushing. When we finally made it to a campground with hookups, I went to dump. The pump ran for about 30 seconds, and then clogged up. Not relishing the idea of disassembling the pump while it was full of black water chunks, I tried another idea.

I stopped at a home center, and got a garden hose adapter that has two female couplings on it, designed to to connect two male garden hose ends together. I used it to hook my tank flushing hose to the outlet of the SaniCon, and back-flushed the pump. My first attempt didn't work, it pumped for about 10 seconds then clogged again.

On the second attempt, I took off the access panel so I could pinch the grey water bypass hose closed, forcing all of the back-flush through the impeller portion. I let the water run for several minutes until I could see clear water backing up through the clear coupling on the dump valve.

That did it. The clog was cleared, and the tank fully drained. (I should say that before I back-flushed the pump, I did use the tank rinser to put a lot more water in the black tank.

Sometimes you do need to open up the pump to clear out a mess like the one show on the Dane's picture. But this tip might help out those with a less severe clog, and it can definitely help out those who really do need to open up their pump but want to minimize the amount of black stuff in the pump when they do so.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a picture of the "garden hose adapter that has two female couplings on it"? My macerator just clogged up and I'm dreading taking it apart.

Ron
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldNC View Post
Do you have a picture of the "garden hose adapter that has two female couplings on it"?
Here you go:

Here's a product page for it: No. GH2 Zinc Female Hose to Female Hose Swivels, Garden Hose Fittings, Brass & Tubular - Watts

I found it at Home Depot, back in the plumbing section where all of the various brass adapters are hanging in little plastic bags. It wasn't with the garden hose accessories. Just about any home center or hardware store that has a good plumbing fitting section is likely to have it.

You could do the same thing with a 3/4" pipe coupling for quite a bit less. But if you go that route, you have to thread the coupling onto the end of the macerator hose, then keep twisting the whole garden hose onto the fitting. Plus you are relying simply on the threads to make a seal, there isn't a rubber washer inside.

While this fitting costs a bit more, both female thread sections spin around the main body of the fitting. So the macerator and garden hoses can stay steady while you just spin the nut on the fitting. Plus it has hose washers for no drips.

You could also make your own by cutting off the female end of a garden hose, and fitting the cut end with another female repair fitting. You'd end up with a short piece of hose with two female ends.

I think the fitting was more than $5 but less than $10. Kind of expensive for a special purpose fitting, but it sure made easy work out of a potentially unpleasent job.

Good luck with your clog!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Here you go:

Here's a product page for it: No. GH2 Zinc Female Hose to Female Hose Swivels, Garden Hose Fittings, Brass & Tubular - Watts

I found it at Home Depot, back in the plumbing section where all of the various brass adapters are hanging in little plastic bags. It wasn't with the garden hose accessories. Just about any home center or hardware store that has a good plumbing fitting section is likely to have it.

You could do the same thing with a 3/4" pipe coupling for quite a bit less. But if you go that route, you have to thread the coupling onto the end of the macerator hose, then keep twisting the whole garden hose onto the fitting. Plus you are relying simply on the threads to make a seal, there isn't a rubber washer inside.

While this fitting costs a bit more, both female thread sections spin around the main body of the fitting. So the macerator and garden hoses can stay steady while you just spin the nut on the fitting. Plus it has hose washers for no drips.

You could also make your own by cutting off the female end of a garden hose, and fitting the cut end with another female repair fitting. You'd end up with a short piece of hose with two female ends.

I think the fitting was more than $5 but less than $10. Kind of expensive for a special purpose fitting, but it sure made easy work out of a potentially unpleasent job.

Good luck with your clog!
How about an old washing machine cold/hot water hose? Too Long?
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
That is also a good idea Barlow46. Now you can connect it right onto the water faucet. Of course make sure it has the anti siphon adapter on it, and you mark which side you always connect to the macerator drain hose. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
How about an old washing machine cold/hot water hose? Too Long?
If you have one sitting around, that would work well!

One advantage to a small coupling like that, is that I could easily toss it in the corner of the wet bay, and always have it ready at a moment's notice.

A longer hose, like from a washing machine, would take up more room and get tangled with my tank flush hose.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #23

What is this macerator you all are talking about??
Bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
What is this macerator you all are talking about??
Sani-Con System

A sewage pump that attaches to the dump valve, grinds up any solids, and pumps it through a small lightweight discharge hose. It comes with a collapsible hose that extends to about 20 feet, and has garden hose threads on it so you can use a standard hose to extend the distance. It's able to pump a couple hundred feet, and even can pump uphill. Makes it easy to dump tanks under less than ideal conditions. And if it's left in place, it makes dumping a very clean experience where you hands and the surrounding area doesn't even get wet, let alone dirty.

The box mount version is available as a factory option on several models built by Monaco.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #25

Thanks SS, I appreciate it!
Bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On mine the top blade faces up.. I do not think it matters so long as it's not slicing another part of the unit up.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks!

Ron
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote