Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Magnadyne Does Away with M9900DVDS

I was just on the Magnadyne web site and noticed that they no longer make the M9900DVDS head unit that many of us have in our coaches. They have replaced it with the M1-LCD-2 Touch-screen model that can be used as a camera system monitor as well. (Not sure I'd like those two functions in one unit.)

On the upside, it has all of the features of the older unit plus some new very impressive input flexibility - SD Card, USB port (with iPOD controls), and standard stereo Aux input port. And you can add an optional GPS Navigation module, as well as Serius satellite radio.

The BIG question is... Does the DVD player work any better than it did in the old model?

Found only one store on the Net that sells this unit ($549.96). It looks like it would fit the same dash mount that our current units do.

Click on picture for more details.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #2

Robin:

I have never seen a report from anyone ( other than a deaf person) who liked anything about Magnadyne. Why not just go to a different make? Fortunately our Dynasty has a seperate DVD player. However even the radio portion of that unit SUCKS!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #3

Well, I must be that deaf (and probably in your opinion, dumb) person who likes the Magnadyne radio/CD system just fine. I like the larger buttons and relative ease of using while driving. While the tonal qualities may not be Bose they certainly meet my needs and expectations.

Thank you for pointing out my inadequacy.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #4

Richard:

I certainly did not make that comment to hurt anyone's feelings. Sorry if it did. But the fact remains that this and other forums are full of complaints on the Magnadyne products. Monaco chose these units as they were cheap. My hearing is slightly impaired and even I find the sound tinny. I also should have used the term" hearing impaired" More PC.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRohrers View Post
Well, I must be that deaf (and probably in your opinion, dumb) person who likes the Magnadyne radio/CD system just fine. I like the larger buttons and relative ease of using while driving. While the tonal qualities may not be Bose they certainly meet my needs and expectations.
Richard,
You pointed out, perhaps, the nicest feature about the Magnadyne, the large buttons are nice. Another great feature is the weather band. I can't speak to the quality of the DVD since ours does not have the DVD. I was hell bent for leather to tear the thing out because of its tonal quality. I looked at a bunch of "integrated" radios but decided to keep the thing. I really liked the Pioneer AVIC but decided I wanted the GPS screen in-line with driving field of vision. I found out that the weak link in the Magnadyne is crap speakers. They are 5 1/4" and way too small for the volume of the coach, they need to be at least 6 1/2". I replaced the speakers with some higher end 6 1/2 and the result was amazing. All indash systems have a pretty weak amp and I suspect a outboard amp and a little subwoofer would greatly improve the sound. We don't use the radio much since we connected an XM receiver to the aux ports of the Magnadyne.

Is the Magnadyne a great unit? No, but it has a lot of nice features not found without spending gobs of $$. When the thing craps out I will replace it with a better unit. For a few $$ you can greatly improve the sound by replacing the speakers and installing an outboard amp.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #6

Moisheh, Thank you. I would not say my feelings are hurt, just don't agree with all encompassing statements. There is never universal agreement or disagreement on any issue or product. Agreed there are many negative posts about Magnadyne. Negativity tends to generate more buzz. Just for me, it works fine and the company has always returned my calls and email about an issue (operator error) as well as sent a free replacement remote.

Have a good day.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Rob,
Looks like a nice unit with lots of features. If their quality has improved it might be worth a look. I too would be wary of their DVD quality. Ours does not have the DVD and is an ok unit but would be hesitant to take a leap of faith. I'm also not too keen on the GPS located mid-dash. OK in a car but too far away in a MH. I want the GPS to be in my field of vision. For not that much more money the Pioneer AVIC line is absolutely rock solid. I considered it but for the reasons stated I decided against it for the MH.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I did go and look at what this thing does, it does everthing except wipe your behind!

I am actually very computer literate but I have the old VCR phobia syndrome. I just can't get into something that has so many functions that I have to get out the book to remember how to use them. When will someone make something simple again?

I can still remember when my Mom came home crying because they stopped pumping gas, she could not figure out how to do it. Guess I have to admit it, I'm getting old!
Old 04-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
I did go and look at what this thing does, it does everthing except wipe your behind!

I am actually very computer literate but I have the old VCR phobia syndrome. I just can't get into something that has so many functions that I have to get out the book to remember how to use them. When will someone make something simple again?

I can still remember when my Mom came home crying because they stopped pumping gas, she could not figure out how to do it. Guess I have to admit it, I'm getting old!
Move to NJ.
You still cannot pump your own gas it is literally against the law
Old 04-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #10

I would have been happy with the unit if it worked for more then a couple weeks at a time. I had the one in the dash replaced 7 times before I went the Kenwood route. The one for my exterior tv seems to work okay. If you ever take one about you will see why they don't last long. I took some pics of one I tore apart that I will post later.

Carl
Old 04-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #11

Mine is a POS and has been replaced at least 4 times. The latest still stops playing a DVD midstream and skips. I have since installed a secondary DVD player in the cabinet above the windscreen on the passenger side and wired it directly into the LCD, bypassing the magnacrap unit entirely.

Notwithstanding the problems I've had with the current model, the new unit is sweet looking, but like Jessica Simpson, looks aren't everything!
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpack98 View Post
Rob,
Looks like a nice unit with lots of features. If their quality has improved it might be worth a look. I too would be wary of their DVD quality. Ours does not have the DVD and is an ok unit but would be hesitant to take a leap of faith. I'm also not too keen on the GPS located mid-dash. OK in a car but too far away in a MH. I want the GPS to be in my field of vision. For not that much more money the Pioneer AVIC line is absolutely rock solid. I considered it but for the reasons stated I decided against it for the MH.
Mark,

You stated my feelings exactly. I actually like the Magnadyne head unit, but my DVD is starting to skip now, and I expect it'll get worse. If I had any faith that they fixed that problem, I might consider buying the new LCD unit. It does do everything you'd ever need. I wouldn't use it for a GPS, though. I like my Garmin 7200 mounted up in my line of sight.

Problem for me is, I don't trust the DVD drive in it. I'd like to see those pix loranimal took of the inside of the original unit.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote