Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #1

Magnadyne Radio

I'm looking at replacing my Magnadyne radio with a more up to date radio. I've called Crutchfield and to my surprise they were no help at all. The sticking point seems to be the 13 pin connection. According to Ringo at Crutchfield all their radios are 12 pin so they can't help me. No real discussion I was just out of luck.

For those of you that have replaced your radio how did you work out the connection?

I also understand these radios are 1.5 din so for those that did replace did you go with a double din or single?

Thanks
Ken
trabuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
trabuco, I have replaced my old Magnadyne 1.5 din radio with a single din unit - Crutchfield could not help much but I did get my xm compatable Panasonic radio and connectors from them. I also ordered an adapter from Magnadyne. What I did was just cut the 13 pin adapter off as close to connector as possible and did the install using the color codes from both new and old radios the get speakers correct. Surprisingly the wire color codes were still on the old Magnadyne radio. This website has some cool wire connectors I have never user before - they are great!
Posi-Productsô Car Stereo Connectors 16 connectors for installing a new car stereo at Crutchfield.com
Below is the link for the adapter from Magnadyne:
M99XXSDKIT Magnadyne Class A RV Radio Mounting Adapter Kit
All pretty straight forward.

Jim
Old 04-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
or... you could update your original Magnadyne radio With the new large-screen M3-LCD Magnadyne radio. It has a 7" touch-screen, a bluetooth interface for your cell phone, an iPOD interface, and other new and updated options.

This radio is also a 1.5 din size and the connectors are exactly the same. The radio has a "home screen" which is a menu touch screen to get to all the various features and modes. I love this new radio because the controls on all the various screens are large. I never have to hunt for anything while driving, as I would on a smaller automobile radio. It fit right into the hole for the smaller Magnadyne that Monaco installed with a very minor alteration. It is almost a direct plug-in replacement.

More details on my installation here.

I purchased this from Dennis Ambrosino at ABS Security and RV Services. (888) 725-7187
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My Knight came with the Magnadyne M3-LCD and I threw it in the trash after about a month, what a POS.
I decided to that cutting the opening out would give me many more options for a replacement so that is what I did. It was messy but not difficult. I just spliced in the new wiring to the old connector. I got an adapter for the rear camera that allowed me to use it. I didn't use the side cameras so that was no loss.
I replaced it with a 2-din Kenwood DDX-719 unit. I wanted one with a tilt screen, XM radio, and no GPS. Over two years now and no issues, I even got it to work with the steering wheel controls.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
or... you could update your original Magnadyne radio With the new large-screen M3-LCD Magnadyne radio. It has a 7" touch-screen, a bluetooth interface for your cell phone, an iPOD interface, and other new and updated options.

This radio is also a 1.5 din size and the connectors are exactly the same. The radio has a "home screen" which is a menu touch screen to get to all the various features and modes. I love this new radio because the controls on all the various screens are large. I never have to hunt for anything while driving, as I would on a smaller automobile radio. It fit right into the hole for the smaller Magnadyne that Monaco installed with a very minor alteration. It is almost a direct plug-in replacement.

More details on my installation here.

I purchased this from Dennis Ambrosino at ABS Security and RV Services. (888) 725-7187
Looks interesting.

Dennis K what problems did you have with it. Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Looks interesting.

Very few problems. It is almost an exact plug-in replacement for the original Magnadyne M9900DVDS that Monaco installed. Only three minor issues I had to deal with. First, while the 1.5 din M3 did fit nicely into the hole that held the original radio, the 7" LCD screen ended up just about a quarter inch too low on my dash. So I shaved that much off of the top of the opening and built up the same amount at the bottom by gluing in a small strip of wood. Then the larger radio fit perfectly in the dash.

Next issue was that the gain on the new radio was too much to drive the cheap home theater system that Monaco had installed. So I just tore that home theater amp out of the overhead cabinet and wired the speakers straight through. The center speaker was fed from that amp, so I lost that. The new radio does have a center speaker feed, but I was too lazy to extend it behind the garnish panel up beside the windshield into the overhead cabinet where the lead to the center speaker is. So I just did without it. Maybe someday I'll do that.

The only other issue was so minor that it could hardly be classified as a problem. Even though Magnadyne said the harness would be a direct plug-in, I double checked it against the original harness. I did find two leads that were reversed in the new harness. So I simply swapped those two pins around in the harness connector.

While installing the new radio, I also upgraded the tinny little 3" box speakers that Monaco installed in the ceiling with Magnadyne 5 1/4" 3-way speakers. I would have liked to put in some good 8" 3-way speakers but I couldn't find any easy way to mount 8" speakers into the ceiling. Like the radio, these Magnadyne 5 1/4" speakers screwed right into the very same mounting holes. They sound MUCH better. More info on the speakers here.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I see I have several options to think about. I'll have to sit back and consider which one works the best for me.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
My Knight came with the Magnadyne M3-LCD and I threw it in the trash after about a month, what a POS.
Dennis,

I missed your post and thought that Don was asking me about problems. Not so. Sorry for the confusion. However, with respect to the Magnadyne M3, I'm curious to know why you considered it a POS. My 2007 Monaco came with the Magnadyne M9900DVDS, which was indeed a faulty radio, but I love this new Magnadyne.

I see by your post that Monaco also used it to display the cameras in your rig. I did not go that route since I already had an LCD dedicated to that function. I do agree about not liking the side cameras, so I rigged a DPDT toggle switch on the dash to toggle off the trigger signals for those two cameras.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #9

Ok....I think I've decided to go with a new double din radio. I realize I'll have to enlarge the current cutout to roughly 4" X 7".

My next concern as I have an 05' Diplomat is the size of the face of the radio. I have basically the same dash setup as Robin and there is not much space between the two padded areas of the dash.

Do Manufactures keep the face of their radios pretty much the same size? Looking on line I can't find a measurement for the face of the unit.

By the way Robin nice job on your website, I like the mods you have installed.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Ken,

I'm fairly sure that I would have had enough room to widen the cut-out to a double din size, had I wanted to do that, but you are correct in that vertical space is limited there. I would think that most double din head units would have face plates of similar size, but I do not know that for sure. Might be a good question to ask a Crutchfield tech rep.

I'd bet that they are similar enough so that if you got a particular head unit, you could then see which way you need to cut the hole. If your dash is like mine, there is probably just under an inch to go up, but much more space to cut down. On the other hand, if you know what brand you would like to install, you may be able to call the manufacturer and get an engineering drawing that would show the exact overhang of the face plate before you buy. If you have not yet had the old radio out, you may want to do that, as well as the face of the panel below it, to verify how much room you really have. There is a lot of other "stuff" that goes behind those two panels. In any event, you will need to get a sleeve to secure in the hole that the new radio will be able to slide into and lock. Often these come with a new head unit.

Thanks for the complement on the web site. I enjoy keeping it up and hope that other coach owners (especially Diplomat and owners of similar coaches) find it helpful. Good luck with the project. Whatever you install, I guarantee you will like it a lot better than the one that came with the coach.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #11

I have the radio and locking plate out now and I do have room to cut above and below the existing cut out. I'll take a trip over to the local best buy and measure a few faceplates on the radios they have on display and see how it works out.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Looks interesting.

The presets would not stay set. Whenever the radio was off for a few days they would all disappear. The setting for the LCD display has a bright and dim setting, the unit always started up in the dim mode. If it was daytime you couldn't see the display until you switched it to bright mode which wasn't easy because you couldn't see the display. The steering wheel controls and the remote rarely worked. The reverse camera provided audio but you couldn't control the volume when it was on, you had to remember to turn it down before going into reverse.
As we know LCD screens do not have a wide viewing angle and my radio was installed in the dashboard with not enough "up" angle. When driving in the sunlight all I would see is a reflection of my knee, I had to shade the screen to see it.

Opening up the mounting hole to a double din I removed 1/2" above and below and the width was the same. The tilt screen has been very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4835.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	61805  
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Interesting. I haven't had problems with my M3 unit, but then I'm not also trying to use it as a camera display, nor do I have steering wheel controls. Sounds like Monaco took the cheap way out and didn't test those systems enough. I will say that the remote is sometimes spotty, but other than that, I don't seem to have the volume or brightness problems you mention. I'm fairly happy with mine. That said, I have had problems with other Magnadyne radios in the past.

Your new radio looks nice in the dash, Dennis. I see it also nicely resolves the screen tilt issue you had with the Magnadyne.

Tags
radio