Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Magnadyne Radio/CD Player Replacement

Considering replacing my RV Radio. Never has worked well since we owned the coach. I here its a 2 din. Would like a radio with USB input for playing songs as well as blue-tooth capability. Do Not want to spend a lot of money but want a radio that is rated well. Has anyone replaced their radio? Did you have to purchase different connectors for the rear of the radio. Do not need DVD player, just want to use it for music and stations. Thanks for your assistance.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #2

Crutchfield.com this is a great place to search out what you want. Double din makes your choices wide open. Crutchfield is not necessairly the best prices, but with a huge choice to look at ypu can then search for better price online.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's actually a 1.5 DIN.

To replace with a 2 DIN, you would need to a little free space, above, below, or both, and do a little dash carving.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #4

Dave-

Magnadyne makes an adapter kit, to install a 1-DIN radio in the 1.5-DIN opening. Link is here.

As mentioned, a 2-DIN radio may require some trimming on the dash panel.

I replaced my coach's original M9900CDS with one I bought here on the iRV2 classifieds. It was in better shape than the original. The original went on the shelf as a spare, along with another one I bought for parts along the way. Can't have too many unreliable radios, I say. ;-) Actually, I like the M9900CDS, because it has two AUX-in ports, which is difficult to find in a radio that will fit a 1.5-DIN opening.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've got all my music on a micro-SD chip for radios that have a port for them or I put it on tiny USB plugs like this one: SanDisk 32GB Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive - SDCZ33-032G-G35 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MPCJDXS/). I've got about 2000 of my favorite oldies on them. Just love it! The station never fades, there are no commercials and I can listen to the music I love for hours on end.

I replaced my 1,5 DIN Magnadyne with a "Dual Electronics XDVD156BT" using the adapter from Magnadyne. The connector for the Magnadyne had an adapter that allowed me to disconnect from the dash wiring. I cut the wires 1/2 way between adapters and soldered the wires for adapter to the new radio's plug that came with it. Doing that on the counter was a lot easier than trying to do it while still connected inside the dash.

The Dual radio I used has been superseded already - the replacement is about $200. I found a similar BOSS model at $120 on Amazon at this link: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Systems-BV9976B-Player-Built/dp/B00HZA6DPO/

The adapter plate from Magnadyne makes the job a lot easier. The radios I've mentioned have 7 inch display screens that can be used for other purposes like connecting to your rearview camera but I like using it to see the titles and artists of what's being played.

The attachment page 11 shows the wiring colors for the Magnadyne radio so you can connect the new adapter matching up the wires.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MagnadyneM9900InstallationandOperationManual_Manual.pdf (327.2 KB, 28 views)
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dave, a dash radio upgrade is a worthwhile update! We too recently upgraded our dash radio. We had a single DIN radio with a flip up screen, that we wanted to update with a unit that had a fixed touch screen.

Sounds like with your 1.5 DIN setup, that a single DIN radio is your best option. I documented our radio update and in the first post below I summarized some radio options we looked into. Might be of some help to you.

Radio Upgrade Project - Post 1: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/upg...ml#post5409489

If you have any questions, just let me know. All the best!
Josh

PS Don't let the sticker prices shock you, those are in Canadian Dollars. So should be quite a bit less in USD. The Sony XAV-AX8000 could be a great option, if price/value is a priority.
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #7
YC1

If your radio is in a panel with switches etc and is flat. Take it out and lay it on a sheet of aluminum and carve a whole new panel. I you have the fiberglass type insets the holes are likely cracked in several places. You can use many different great looking vinyl things to cover the panel. Carbon fiber looks great.

With a new panel you can move the new radio to perhaps a better location up or down. Your switches can be moved about as well.

Just a thought.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, radio, replace, replacement