Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hi again Guys and Gals,
It appears that our Magnum Energy Inverter Remote has no power. The digital readout screen is blank and there are no LED lights on for anything. It won't wake up when I push a button.

The inverter itself is running just fine according to it's blinking green LED light. It's float charging while we are on 50amp shorepower.

Has anyone had this problem. Where is the fuse (if any) for this located?

This is your new mission for you Monoco Brainiacs. This message will not self distruct in 30 seconds,...tick tick tick....

AKBrick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi again Guys and Gals,
It appears that our Magnum Energy Inverter Remote has no power. The digital readout screen is blank and there are no LED lights on for anything. It won't wake up when I push a button.

The inverter itself is running just fine according to it's blinking green LED light. It's float charging while we are on 50amp shorepower.

Has anyone had this problem. Where is the fuse (if any) for this located?

This is your new mission for you Monoco Brainiacs. This message will not self distruct in 30 seconds,...tick tick tick....

AKBrick
Old 04-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #3

Had a problem like that with my Dip. I just removed the panel and disconnected the wires. Hooked the wires back up and it worked fine and never happened again.

Don't know what caused it.

Carl
Old 04-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by loranimal:
Had a problem like that with my Dip. I just removed the panel and disconnected the wires. Hooked the wires back up and it worked fine and never happened again.

Don't know what caused it.

Carl </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Same here, .... there is a connector on both ends (one at the inverter), both look like a phone plug. Unplug either one, wait a few minutes, and plug it back in. It's essentially nothing more than a re-boot for the display.

Don't forget to re-set the clock for the auto-gen start.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
loranimal and Corkey,
You Guys Rock!!!!! I unplugged the two phone line jack type cords at the inverter and VOILA! Power to the Remote. That was the fastest and cheapest fix....EVER!!!!!

Thank you very much for the quick answer.
Yahoo!! Now I can enjoy the rest of my evening in piece and no worries.

AKBrick
BTW, We made it to St. George, Utah for the night and will continue to Salt Lake City tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #6

I just purchased a 06 Camelot and on the way home this exact same thing happened. I unplugged the connections at the inverter but only for a few seconds each. Based on this thread, is unplugging for a longer time required or do I have possibly another issue?

I will try this when I get back home in a couple days but thought I would get more ideas before hand.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mohansen:
I just purchased a 06 Camelot and on the way home this exact same thing happened. I unplugged the connections at the inverter but only for a few seconds each. Based on this thread, is unplugging for a longer time required or do I have possibly another issue?

I will try this when I get back home in a couple days but thought I would get more ideas before hand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think this "reboot" method is just one of those undocumented remedies. I have learned from experience to allow a few minutes for power to completely purge from electronic boards. There is no reason to take the time to fix the problem only to find yourself rushing the disconnect/connect process. A couple of seconds may work, but why not go ahead and give it a couple of minutes instead while you're there.

I hope the process works for you. I though I was the only one when it happened to me, but have since found quite a few others who have experienced the same thing. A reboot switch would be nice

Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Actually, I didn't wait for any time at all between unplugging and plugging the cords back in. When I got back into the MH the remote was already on and working perfectly. It was just like plugging in a power cord. I think that these cords are loosing contact while driving. I've had phone cords do this very same thing at home while just sitting there. Go figure.

AKBrick
Old 04-24-2008, 07:31 AM   #9

Here is the "Reset Procedure" from the Magnum Energy manual page 37.

2007 Magnum Energy Inc. 37
6.0 Troubleshooting
6.2 Performing an Inverter Reset
If the remote shows an internal' fault or the inverter needs to be reset; press
and hold the Power ON/OFF pushbutton (see fi gure 6-1) for at least fi fteen
(15) seconds until the Charging/Inverting LED comes on and fl ashes rapidly
to indicate the inverter has reset. Once the rapid fl ashing has begun, release
the Power ON/OFF pushbutton. After the inverter reset is completed, check
the remote display to verify that the fault has cleared.
Some older inverter models do not allow an inverter reset, if the inverter reset
fails, you will need to power-down the inverter using the procedure below.
In either case, if an "internal fault" does not clear, the inverter will require
repair at an authorized service facility.
Info: The Power ON/OFF pushbutton is a small momentary type
switch which operates by lightly pressing and releasing.
Info: Resetting the inverter does not change the inverter/charger
settings in the ME-RC (except for the SHORE: Shore Max and SETUP:
08 Scrn Contrast settings - which revert back to default). The settings
are saved in non-volatile memory and are preserved until changed
- even if all power to the inverter is lost.
Perform the following steps to power-down the inverter:
Remove all AC power (utility or generator power) to the inverter.
Disconnect the positive battery cable to the inverter.
Ensure the inverter and remote control are disconnected from all AC
and DC power (the remote display will be blank).
After the inverter has been disconnected from all power for 30 seconds,
reconnect the positive battery cable and resume operation.
Info: There may be a momentary spark when the positive battery
cable is connected to the inverter's terminal; this is normal and indicates
that the inverters internal capacitors are being charged.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #10

I just got back home tonight and tried all the various options:

unplugging remote cable for minutes
resetting inverter
disconnecting power to the inverter
unmounting the panel in the coach and resetting that cable

Nothing seems to make a difference. I also don't think the charging is working at all. I left the coach plugged in for 4 days and the batteries still show fair and only 12.6V. It did show over 13V when shore power was connected.

This all seemed to work when I first looked at the coach. Now nothing seems to work properly.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mohansen:
I just got back home tonight and tried all the various options:

unplugging remote cable for minutes
resetting inverter
disconnecting power to the inverter
unmounting the panel in the coach and resetting that cable

Nothing seems to make a difference. I also don't think the charging is working at all. I left the coach plugged in for 4 days and the batteries still show fair and only 12.6V. It did show over 13V when shore power was connected.

This all seemed to work when I first looked at the coach. Now nothing seems to work properly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Even without the inverter/converter your batteries should be fully charged after driving the coach for any distance, unless you relied heavily on the batteries during your trip. The engine alternator would be doing all of the work, and keep your batteries fully charged while on the road.

Your problem may be limited to a faulty Magnum, but if where me, I would have both charging circuits checked out. A good tech would be able to narrow down your problem in just a few minutes of diagnostics.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
That is so ironic, we just had the same thing happen this past weekend! I called Monaco, they returned my call withing 30 minutes (on Saturday), had me go out and unplug the telephone style connector for the remote from the Magnum for one minute, plug back in, bingo! Remote showing it's readout again.

Mohanson, call Monaco tech support. It sounds like you need something different.

Brenda, of...