RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Magnum Inverter Fault

Got a problem and did not find anything in a search. Here goes...

When hooked to 30 Amp power, The Magnum inverter sporadically goes off line killing all my GFI circuits. This would include the microwave and TV/Satellite power connections.

We just returned from a one week trip. Throughout, I might go days without the red "fault" light and "Internal Fault -1" on the display. Other times it would trip in 5 to 10 minutes. I would go out and hold the Magnum Inverter start button for about 10 seconds until it starts to flicker. One more press of the button and I would get a solid green light. Then it would flash on and then off for 8 seconds as it should.

While operating under the generator, I have not had this "fault" light come on.

I am suspecting the Automatic Transfer Switch.

Question is. How do I properly test it?

Is there something else I should be looking for?

All help appreciated.

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Couple of things to add:

Green LED on the panel shows green flash (1 per second) showing absorption charge, which I understand is when the batteries are almost fully recharged and the inverter is connected to shore power.

When I get the red fault light, I still have the flashing green as above.

The last time it happened, I reset the inverter and went around and gave the Automatic Transfer Switch near the cable reel a whack.

No fault light since, but it is just a matter of time before I get it again.

Like I said, I have not had the fault occur when the generator is running.

The test switch on the GFI works as it should. I can only find one GFI with the test switch and it is near the floor just about across from the information panel.

I have not had any of the pull out breakers on the inverter pop out, nor have any of the circuit breakers tripped.

As such, I am leaning more and more on the possibility of the ATS.

I have no reference for the "Internal Fault - 1" on the display or what it means.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Gordon...There is a 3 year warranty from Magnum and I am pretty sure you bought your rig after us.

Please call Magnum Energy in Everett, Washington tomorrow. The phone number is 425-353-8833. Make sure you have your serial number handy. (See the photo below...You can see the model number at the top and the serial number at the bottom pretty easily) I would suggest maybe being close by the inverter -as they may have you run some tests. They may then have you go to one of the authorized shops -or ship it to them.

Good Luck...I can tell you they were very easy to work with!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InverterTag.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1592  
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Oh yeah...

By the way...I did try calling -but the number I have for you is no longer in service ...are you trying to hide from "Mama"??

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:21 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry Mama!! PM sent!

Old 10-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Update - 1

At Mama's suggestion.

I called Magnum today and talked to a very savvy tech.

He ran me through several tests, including running the microwave on inverter. No trip of the inverter.

Started generator and ran microwave for 5 seconds. Tripped the inverter.

He is sending me a new board to install. He is pretty confident that that is the culprit.

Very pleasant talking with this guy!

Old 10-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
Gordon...There is a 3 year warranty from Magnum and I am pretty sure you bought your rig after us.

Please call Magnum Energy in Everett, Washington tomorrow. The phone number is 425-353-8833. Make sure you have your serial number handy. (See the photo below...You can see the model number at the top and the serial number at the bottom pretty easily) I would suggest maybe being close by the inverter -as they may have you run some tests. They may then have you go to one of the authorized shops -or ship it to them.

Good Luck...I can tell you they were very easy to work with!
Went and looked up the purchase date on mine, Mama! Purchased our coach in Jan 2007, so we are still well within warranty.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Update - 2

What a surprise today!

I had talked with a tech from Magnum Energy yesterday and he told me he would send out a new ME/RD Series Control Board. This was at about 1:00 pm yesterday.

Today at about noon, UPS shows up at my door with the board! Talk about quick!!!

I followed the detailed instructions and installed it in the inverter. Not very difficult, but, I had to be careful not to have any static electricity, or any power to the coach. So, I disconnected the batteries, shore power and shut off the Coach and Chassis switches.

Replacement was very straight forward with the excellent instructions that were send along with them.

Yesterday, this is what the display showed:

This is the ME/RD Series Control Board that I took out:

Looking at the back of the board, notice the discoloration around the capacitor. On the opposite side is the connection for the 16-pin Ribbon Connector

After I buttoned everything back up and hooked up the batteries, I crossed my fingers and "flicked the switch"!

Sorry to disappoint! No smoke or fire!

It started like it was supposed to - no issues.

I will wait until tomorrow to do any microwave and generator testing to make sure that it cured the problem.

Looks very promising at this point.

I gotta give Magnum credit. They have excellent customer service, as others have mentioned.

I will be sending back the old board in the morning and I will give them a call.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Went out today and tested the inverter in the same way that the Magnum tech directed. Everything works as it is supposed to, so I am confident that the new board corrected the problem.

Still have not been able to figure out what the discoloration on the old board was caused by. Any ideas? It's not moisture as everything was dry as a bone and I have never had any leaks.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
What a surprise today!

I had talked with a tech from Magnum Energy yesterday and he told me he would send out a new ME/RD Series Control Board. This was at about 1:00 pm yesterday.

Today at about noon, UPS shows up at my door with the board! Talk about quick!!!

I followed the detailed instructions and installed it in the inverter. Not very difficult, but, I had to be careful not to have any static electricity, or any power to the coach. So, I disconnected the batteries, shore power and shut off the Coach and Chassis switches.

Replacement was very straight forward with the excellent instructions that were send along with them.

Yesterday, this is what the display showed:

This is the ME/RD Series Control Board that I took out:

Looking at the back of the board, notice the discoloration around the capacitor. On the opposite side is the connection for the 16-pin Ribbon Connector

After I buttoned everything back up and hooked up the batteries, I crossed my fingers and "flicked the switch"!

Sorry to disappoint! No smoke or fire!

It started like it was supposed to - no issues.

I will wait until tomorrow to do any microwave and generator testing to make sure that it cured the problem.

Looks very promising at this point.

I gotta give Magnum credit. They have excellent customer service, as others have mentioned.

I will be sending back the old board in the morning and I will give them a call.

Any chance you still have the 'detailed instructions' ?

I would love to see them.

By the way, the photos you included ih your post do not display,
at least on my ipad.

Thanks !