RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #1

Magnum Inverter Problem

Just got the Motorhome back from the shop for transmission fluid/filter change and coolant flush/repair. When I plugged back in to my home electrical motor home outlet (50 amp), I noticed a fault on the Magnum panel. Inverter is a MS 2812. "AC Volts too high". I also have a progressive surge guard on this line and no problems are detected. Reset the system by pressing the button on the inverter, still same problem. Tried disconnecting all power to the coach and turning off circuit breakers to the inverter and still same problem. Waited 20 minutes before turning back on. Last attempt to fix was disconnected the positive cable to the inverter (hard reset) and still having AC too high fault even with no power connected. I called Magnum at their technical service number who stated that the inverter is bad and needs to be repaired or replaced. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas because the technical guy at Magnum was obviously just in a hurry to get off the phone because he never offered any troubleshooting ideas other than to repair/replace. I can't help but wonder if the truck repair shop could have used a jumper box or connected something to the electrical connection causing damage to the inverter because all was working perfectly before it went into the shop? I also tried to energize the inverter by running the generator but same problem. The panel is showing 50 amp service when plugged in and recognizes the generator power but the charger will not work with the fault showing. Shore power settings on the panel are set for 50 amp service. The inverter does come on however but charger does not work with the fault. Should have mentioned but I have checked the fuses and circuit breakers. Battery voltage of house and chassis batteries is above 12.5 volts.
robertj1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Magnum

Same issue last year...longer conversation with them was one or possibly two boards bad. Cost was around 1k...bought a new one.

Some serious googling will save you some big $.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Makes me wonder if the shop did something that caused the fault.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #4

Did shop do any welding on your rv, that could cause problems.
Outbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On most Monaco coaches you can remove the inverter is less than an hour. Make sure you tape up the positive cable.
The nice thing about Magnum is they have repair centers all over the country and getting parts is easy. Most repair centers will turn one around in 1-2 days.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Did shop do any welding on your rv, that could cause problems.
Agreed. Welding will cause problems. The ground lead on a welder has to be very close to the actual weld area and the DC terminals on the batteries need to be removed and some sensitive electronics need to be isolated.
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
If the shop disconnected the batteries without removing positive power cable on the inverter first - it can remove the ground and the inverter will try to send full power ground through the inverter control board which will damage it permanently.

Quote:
CAUTION: To remove battery power from the inverter, disconnect the battery positive connection before the negative connection. This requirement can prevent damage to the inverter and/or an accessory connected to the inverter....
Old 10-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #8

Thanks to all who have replied. No welding was done to my knowledge and not sure why they would have removed battery terminals but it was at their shop for seven days. They replaced a leaking thermostat but should have been no welding involved.

I tried again today to reset the fault and for some reason it worked!
The only difference was turned off the chassis battery switch that removed the power to the inverter (remote screen was blank), completed the "soft reset" using the button on the inverter, turned the chassis batteries back on and completed the soft reset again. It makes no sense but this removed the fault from the display. Hooked up AC power and all seems back to normal again with charger once again working. I unplugged AC power and then ran generator and still working with no fault code. Not sure what is going on but for now, working normally again. Hopefully saved $1650 inverter cost for now.
My batteries(flooded) are about 8 years old but still not showing signs of weakness but will probably replace soon. Hoping that has not contributed to the problem?
I found a repair shop for the inverter about an hour away if needed and they confirmed could turn it around in a couple of days if needed. Hope not to and looks like cost of repair would be about half the price of a new inverter (with warranty) so will be a decision for later if I have other problems. Agree removal looks pretty simple.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1979 View Post
My batteries(flooded) are about 8 years old but still not showing signs of weakness but will probably replace soon.
I'm sure plenty will chime in about their FLA batteries lasting 2 decades, etc. But 8-years out of FLA batteries is mega hard to believe they have no signs of weakness. But OK.

I hope it's not a case that when you check them on Shore power they are showing 13.4v so you know they're great.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah itís likely your old batteries. They can cause all sorts of funny things happening. Time to replace.

Be careful with taking your inverter to a Magnum approved service center. I tried two in AZ and both were essentially guys working out of their garage. They werenít helpful for me.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #11

I have 4 Interstate L-16HCL 6volt batteries rated at 420 amp hrs. We do very little camping using just the generator, and they always stay plugged in and have been good about maintaining water. I will take your advice and go ahead and replace. I have load checked them using a portable device and they still check ok but better to replace I suppose. Good point on checking them when not "plugged in" and will confirm.
Can someone confirm what the total amp hours of this setup should be wired series/parallel? Want to confirm I have that setup correctly in the charger/inverter.
Understood on the service center and had my reservations. I was leaning toward just spending the $1650 for a new one with warranty If I have to go that route...
Old 10-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
In series, amp hours don't add, the voltages do.

In parallel, amp hours add, the voltage stays the same.

So, if you have your bank of 4 Interstate L-16HCL 6volt wired series/parallel, a series pair of 6V will be 12V and 480 AH. (Voltage adds, AH stays same) Parallel the 2 pairs and you get 12V and 960 AH (Voltage stays same, AH adds)

So your series/parallel set of 4- Interstate L-16HCL 6volt batteries gives you 12V and 960 AH.

If you had the 4 batteries wired series for a 24V inverter, you'd have 480 AH.
Bsipe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #13

You need to do a capacity test, not a load test on deep cycle batteries.

Put a 5 amp per 100 AH capacity load on them, 42 amps for a 840 AH capacity bank, and watch them for 20 hours or until they drop to 10.6 volts.

Shore power off, plug in stuff to make a 42 amp DC draw or 4.2 amp AC draw, thru the inverter.

If they make 20 hours, they are fine. If the drop to 10.6 volts in 10 hours, they are at 50% of their original capacity. At that point, its up to you If you want to replace them.

If they last much less time, then go ahead and replace them now.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #14

All great information. Thanks and will try that test tonight while parked at home to see how they do with the residential refrigerator turned on with battery only power. I am thinking the residential refrigerator should be around 6 amps AC and check to see how fast they are loosing power.
Will plan on replacing anyway because I guess I got my money's worth out of them and now not having to buy a new inverter.

Tags
inverter, problem