RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Many thanks for the help. Here are some facts I've learned since picking up a remote temperature monitoring system.

1) The fridge MUST have airflow inside in order to get even cooling. So the circulating fan does NOT seem to be a gimmick. I'm seeing +5.5c on the bottom left door of the fridge and +1.4c on the second rack down on the same side. This means cooling is very uneven and I must have a fan.

2) I can't tap into the light for 12v power. The 12v power feed going up to the ceiling of the fridge is switched so when the doors are closed it's off. It looks to me like it must be switched by the circuit board.

3) I bought groceries last night. A case of pop, a case of bottled water and a lot of frozen food. The fridge, in it's current state, takes a LONG time to bring the temperature back down. My hope is that a fan will aid in this process.

My guess is that I will have to run the wires for the fan down through the drain tube into the bottom outside of the fridge in order to get permanent 12v power to the fan.

BTW, the FDA says that the ideal temperatures are -18c for the freezer and 4c for the fridge with the 4c being adjustable to your liking but 4c being the neighborhood to be in.
If you buy the fans from JC Refrigeration They will have instructions how get power to the light wire all of the time. Their fans shut off when you open the door and the light comes on. Light goes out and the fans come on. I have their 120 volt compressor conversion.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2020, 07:40 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
If you buy the fans from JC Refrigeration They will have instructions how get power to the light wire all of the time. Their fans shut off when you open the door and the light comes on. Light goes out and the fans come on. I have their 120 volt compressor conversion.
I don't think mine will work that way. On mine they switched the 12v side of the light. Had they switched the ground side it would have been much easier. In the end I ran a power feed down the drain tube and tapped into the 12v line on the circuit board.

For the ground I just used an alligator clip on the cooling fins. This makes it very easy to turn off the fan if the unit is not being used.

Right now I have one fan hanging from the ceiling on the right hand side blowing across the fins from right to left. This means it is blowing right on the thermistor, which I felt would be the smart move.

I have been thinking one more fan on the lowest rack on the right side blowing up to the ceiling fan might be advantageous. But for now, I'm monitoring the temps with the digital thermometers. With the power feed already in place it would be very easy to install another fan.
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #17

Just remember the more fans you add, the more heat sources you add inside the refrigerator.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Agreed. I'm finding the fan I installed is very mild. It was a two-speed fan with a switch. Some years back I cut the switch off it. I'm thinking if I join the two wires it will probably go to high speed. That might be better.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:14 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Update, I shifted the fan to high speed and now the temperature is dropping .1c every few minutes. So running the fan at speed is important.

I am going to order up another fan for the bottom of the fridge and aim it up at the fin fan. That should create a circular air flow from the bottom to the top.

BTW, my fridge sensor is in the bottom of the left door (the warmest area).
Old 10-05-2020, 10:39 PM   #20

It is important to understand how that fan speed control switch works, in the simplest form that switch may add a resistor in to slow the fan, in which case that resistor would radiate heat to slow the fan, so that the same total amount of heat was generated on both high and low fan speed settings.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:04 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Makes sense. The air is circulating but not enough for even temperatures. It's very interesting. Normally hot air rises but what I'm finding is that the Norcold is coldest at the top and warmest at the bottom.

The wireless electronic temperature sensor make it really easy to see the effect of moving the fan around. I'm going to mount the second fan on the lower right hand side of the fridge and aim it up directly at the fin fan. This way it should take the warm air from the bottom of the fridge and blow it across the fins.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Well. This is working good

With just one fan, blowing from the right to the left across the fins, the fridge temp at its warmest point (bottom left of door) has dropped to 2.6c and the freezer is at -16.3c

Temperature setting on the fridge has dropped from 9 (max) down to 2 (!!) and may have to go lower. I have one more fan coming to ensure truly even temperature throughout the fridge.

This is unreal. I can now buy frozen food again!

Tags
fan, fridge, norcold