RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 04:49 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Manual leveling??

We got this coach 6 months ago,got everything up graded and we are now on month 2 of full time and loving it.
My question is we have a 2006 diplomat it came with manual leveling.Monaco told me to put slides out first, dump air drop front jack then drop back jack start leveling. We got to a campground and a monaco next to us watch me set up and asked why i did not level then put slides out?
What do the rest of you do that have manual leveling? We are in Bath Maine now leave next week and will work our way down coast a lot of stops and setups on this leg of trip. Will end up in Myrtle Beach at the rally on Sept 14Th. Just want to make sure we are doing the leveling right,want to avoid as many problems as i can.
Thanks

tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #2

You are using the correct Monaco recommended drill. Slides out with coach at ride height and same for slides in. Tell the other owner to call Monaco tech support & verify for his coach.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #3

Putting the slides out before you level.....can't see the logic. I continue to level first before putting out the slides....even now that I own a Monaco.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Steve! Monaco says to extend slides while the air bags are in the "Travel" position, THEN dump air and level or just level without dumping!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
With air in the coach the home is square and should not bind the slides. On levelers you could easily put a twist in the frame a bit. My manual says slides in or out aired up.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCay View Post
Putting the slides out before you level.....can't see the logic. I continue to level first before putting out the slides....even now that I own a Monaco.

We all have to decide what's best for our situation. I level first also and have for as long as I've owned my coach. I have air leveling only however and I believe hydraulic leveling was the driver in Monaco's advise. Monaco insisted in using the 3 jack system which I believe to be inferior. They had trouble with windshield breakage and popping out so revised the slide out procedure.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #7

Actually, if the padsite is reasonably level (side to side) I feel the three point system is the preferable method, it cuts down on possible side to side twist (at least on the front). However, if the padsite is not very level (again, side to side), that's when I wish I had the four point system. If the frame is strong (as in doesn't flex) enough, putting the slides out after leveling should fine....even better?
Old 08-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #8

As someone who had to replace the rubber seals on my front room slide because I did not follow instructions, I can tell you that (at least on my Beaver coach) you only move the slides when you are at ride height. When I had the seals off I leveled the coach with the slides out. I was stunned at the difference in the gaps around the slide out. Nothing is parallel anymore. There is a lot of torque in the house when you level.

I am very careful to always do the slides at ride height. So, from personal experience, I would follow Monaco's advice.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #9

First off most coach manufactures use multiple slide out system in the coaches. SO in a Quad Slide it is possible to have 4 completely different slide out systems the issue is some of the systems want the frame relaxed when moved so they want the coach in it's normal ride position. Some companies want you to level first then put the rooms out so that depends on the system your using. Another issue is cutout clearance for the slides some systems are very tight and if you level first they can cause the room to bind going in or out. So do it the way your coach manufacture says one size does not fit all. As to leveling systems again it is up to the company that makes them several companies give you 4 jacks but still use 3 point leveling. Most of the air ride systems are 3 point you will have one height control in the front and 2 in the rear This cuts down on the chances of binding the frame. Having 4 valves increases the chance of uneven loading. If you take a bar stool with 4 legs and cut one a 1/4in shorter than the rest it will never be stable. If you take a 3 legged stool and cut one leg short it will be crooked but will still be stable.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:10 AM   #10

leveling

I agree with Steve ownby I have a 2006 Monaco Dip and do the same way---So that's 2 Steve's in agreement!!!!!

Steve
SPA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I follow the manual for my 02 Windsor,
The only thing I have found strange is firing up the coach
to bring up the air, then shut the coach down to bring the
slides in, (as the slides will not work with the key on),
then need to fire up the coach again to leave.
Never understood the reason behind having to fire the coach up twice.
At least with the Aquahot I am not starting a cold engine.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #12

So you pull into the padsite, the motorhome is low in the rear and leaning to the left....but you put out the slides anyway....rather than level first? Okay. I suspect that when your motorhome was built and the slides were installed it was level. It seems to me that if by leveling the coach on a real world padsite that puts things in such a bind that the slides can't function properly....perhaps you need to consider a different brand.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
You are using the correct Monaco recommended drill. Slides out with coach at ride height and same for slides in. Tell the other owner to call Monaco tech support & verify for his coach.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

What he said. If the site is WAY off request another site or I carry a few pieces of stall mat to make up a little or I dump just a little air and the coach will kind of seek level. The three point jack system is preferred for a level "plane" and yes a strong frame helps but the tripod actually takes away stress on the coach. Two jacks on the heavy end and one on the light end.

I read it in my owners manual and I STILL called Monaco. I was told because they build the coaches a full ride height and align the slides to that height that the coach should be at full ride air height and then slides in/out then use manual jacks to level.

You should hear the noise that slides make when you forget to air up after the coach is in storage for a bit, not that I would know...ha ha :-)

So far almost 2 years, 30 plus campgrounds and no other slide or leveling issues.

Safe Travels.
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Manual Leveling

Our 2006 Monaco is leveled per our instruction manual booklet.. Gotta remember the coach was originally built at the factory while leveled with it's air bags full.. We upon arrival at a campground try and request a level RV site and once we're in position on the site we simply park at ride height, kill the engine, engage the 4 slide outs, dump some air and utilize the optional manual level jacks... Prior to our campground departure we fire up the coach, air up to ride height, retract the level jacks, shut down the engine and retract the 4 slide outs... Traveling since 2007 with no slide out issues`...

DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, manual