RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2020, 07:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Master Maintenance Check List

As the new owner of a 2007 Monaco, I have been reading many of the posts in this forum and have discovered many items that require periodic maintenance that i have never thought of, besides normal oil and filter changes, I'm seeing the washing of the cooling stack, the lubrication of the exhaust brakes battery maintenance etc.....has anyone developed a master check-off list so preventative maintenance can be performed?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2020, 11:33 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lots of variables

Lets start with

batteries - connections, and electrolyte level
hyd lifts/jacks - siiicon lube for seals
step - lube pivot points
Transfer switch and DC power - check for secure lugs.. (prob once per yr is good).
Tires and shocks - visual mostly - check for bushings that have been displaced.

Is it a DP? well your work is just beginning. Learn to lay below you cummins/cat and aliison and appreciate the engineering .. Or else..

You got air tanks, dryer filters, hoses for airbrakes, and airbags and the associated hardware.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:58 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Somebody posted this on the Newmar forum. I found it useful maybe you will too.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...hmentid=227637
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:04 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
That is a useful chart - although I question some of the tasks/prices. Like "weigh coach and adjust ride height" every 3 months for $321. But for a DIY list it's pretty good.

I would add - get an "oil/fluids analysis" every year. For around $25 its worth it as it may catch the beginning of a problem (and it will tell you if the oil needs to be changed or not).
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:36 AM   #5

Nice list.

IMO a lot of what is on that list depends on the frequency of use and miles accumulated annually doing so and adjust accordingly.

After jumping into the coach world a few years back here is one thing that never seems to get brought up as far as routine maintenance and seems to play into many of the crazy problems reported here at iRV2 and that is to check every ELECTRICAL related: Nut /Bolt / Screw / Wire nut / gang ground / Power distribution Center / Transfer switch / Circuit breaker panel and the likes these coaches and all coaches leave at lot to be desired as far as the lack of engineering put into them and the low quality of parts used in doing so. Ive seen from Prevost on down the use of wires nuts...and beyond belief the amount of them used ( to save money) .

Many of the parts used simply are not made to deal with 10k miles a year of shake rattle and roll of bumpy potholed roads and over time the fasteners start to loosen causing electrical component failures or harder yet to find intermittent failures.

I was doing some maintenance one day on my coach and was working in the Circuit Breaker panels and caught only by chance a wire nut that had loosened in the panel to the point it was charred from the arching and to look further their was more than one loose and charred.

I guess what I just said was dont forget annual maintain your electrical connections.

Happy Trails
Old 09-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
BobRoy both of my rigs below had only a few wire nuts.
The link above to Newmar Factory Service Center Routine Maintenance / Package Discount Pricing is absurd on frequency and cost of almost every item. Like Mike said^^^, spend $25 on a oil sample before changing every year. I could have gone a little longer on the 15K miles oil sample earlier this year, but I was going to put 5K more before it would be easy to change the oil myself.
$65 to check the bird every 6 months... yes I touch the BigBoy relay (to see if it’s hot/working) when I have the cover off the rear run box...takes 30 seconds.
$350 to Replace Transmission Fluid and Filters (Dextron) every year. and Change Lube Oil in Drive Axle and Clean Magnetic Plug for $158...seriously??? Replacing air filter every other year...$500 instead if resetting the filter minder. Looks like you could spend $15,000+ every 3 years but you get 20% off if you spend $2K+...I’d hope so.

I did reweigh this summer at a closed weight station in WY...$0. I did check the ride height at the same time...rig was not leaning and both ends were up the same amount as when I adjusted the ride height last year...saved $322.

Tags
maintenance