Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
MaxForce 10 experience

Anyone have any good/bad tales about them? Stealer has a 2013 Diplomat with this engine. Can't tell from the brochure if it has the true jake brake or the variable tubo brake. Anybody know?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 01:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We were looking at downsizing and checked out a 36 HR with Maxxforce engine. One thing we noticed was the very high noise level. Even walking up to it while idling it was noticeably loud, and inside the coach it was MUCH louder than our current Cummins.

I received enough negative feedback from actual owners that we walked away from that coach pretty quickly.
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Anyone have any good/bad tales about them? Stealer has a 2013 Diplomat with this engine. Can't tell from the brochure if it has the true jake brake or the variable tubo brake. Anybody know?
Actual Owner. They put the Maxxforce 10 in TONS of other things besides RV's.

3 years and 34000 trouble free miles. 9.3L of pure power, torque to spare. GREAT MPG

Noise....it is a diesel...and I do not sleep with the engine running..LOL
I do not find it that much noisier than the other coaches that start up around us and plus it is a BIG motor.

They call the brake an ENGINE brake, my manual says low cuts out 2 cylinders,
medium cuts out 4, High all 6. It works really well. I tow a 4500 LB small 4wd pickup and unless the grade is over 7 percent and 15 miles long it keeps up just fine. Feet on the floor.

Happy hunting....and safe travels !
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:10 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
No problem here. This is my 3rd diesel and this one purrs like a clock. Now have 25k miles with not a burp. Noise is the same as any other I've had. Getting around 8.5 to 9.5 mpg pulling a Jeep. We are now on a 7k mile trip down the Mississippi. Put the key in and it starts up everytime. Maxforce builds allot of engines for every type truck. In fact I understand they build most school busses. Another plus, no DEF.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure where the negative feedback came from for the one responder. I would say other than one nagging issue we had with warn engine lights, that was finally cured with a new engine wiring harness. First one was rubbing on a portion of the engine.
We are really happy with ours. It has always performed as it should and when I drove similar sized coaches almost back to back, I felt that the MF 10 with the 405hp didn't give up anything in performance to the Cummins 8.9 ISL

Seems that most of the folks that have this engine are pretty happy with it.

The engine does come with a Diamond Logic Engine brake, not an exhaust brake. Really like how this engine brake works.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've been really happy with the performance of my MF 10. in 25,000 miles, I've had one issue related to a pinched o-ring on an ICP sensor that was causing slow engine starts. As for noise, I don't see the MF 10 in my coach being any louder than the ISB in my previous coach.

I admit I had some reservations about the engine when I bought the coach, but not now. In my experience, it's been a great engine.
David49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Navistar spent literally MILLIONS on it. Everyone that I know that has a Maxxforce diesel is very happy with it. There was a few bugs that had to be worked out, but with any new technology or product that is to be expected. Those that have one can be glad they got a rare powerful engine without having to put in "cow piss" in the "other" tank. The latest engine brake is a bonus. Bottom line the owners of these coaches have a KEEPER. de Sanford PS I believe these engines have TWO turbos.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:57 AM   #8

We have a 2012 Knight with the MaxxForce 10 diesel engine and It works great We now have almost 29,000 miles on it and it gets better every trip we take. The one downside is that Navistar will only condone the use of 5% blends of Biodiesel and Biomass diesel . Now for my part I would not use either one but it is becoming increasingly more difficult to find truck stops that carry the regular #2 diesel and the blends they do carry have up to 20 percent of the bio mixes.Hopefully Navistar will readjust their thinking. Now on the upside International diesels have been around for a long time in trucks and they are a very dependable engine,one that you DO Not have to add DEF to as you have to in all or most of the rest of the newer diesel engines. Do I like Cummins ? of course I like Cummins they are a great engine and I suspect the quietest of the diesel engines today. Our Navistar Is a bit noiseier while ideling but when it is revved up I doubt there is much difference.Do not let people scare you with them not being dependable ,those think that haven't done their homework or have a one track mind.As far as the engine brake I'm not sure what type it is but I do know it works great. If you are in the market for an Rv let other things such as floor plans , length and options alter your plans but if the coach is right for you, you won't go wrong if it has a Navistar engine.....Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Like others above, very happy with our MH with the MaxxForce. International Harvester (not Navistar) has made this engine a long time and it is a very reliable, long haul engine. I did a lot of research before the major decision of buying a new MH. One was no DEF. Noise??, really quiet when going down the road. Have not met any other MaxxForce owner's who were unhappy.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote for the MaxxForce 10. About 22,000 miles with no engine issues. I have run 20% bio diesel with no adverse effects. Outside noise seems louder than my old Cummins but can't hear it inside.
The negative comments always seem to come from a non-owner relaying that they were told by a someone at a campground or the bar who was another non-owner.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:27 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
Another vote for the MaxxForce 10. About 22,000 miles with no engine issues. I have run 20% bio diesel with no adverse effects. Outside noise seems louder than my old Cummins but can't hear it inside.
The negative comments always seem to come from a non-owner relaying that they were told by a someone at a campground or the bar who was another non-owner.
Since this was probably in response to my response, let me say again that from personal direct experience in one instance the Maxxforce engine was loud. Very loud. And yes, the owner experience reported was indeed anecdotal, but since I heard it at a service center where people were waiting on having their coach fixed it may have been biased.

I have nothing against Maxxforce and if you are happy with I am happy for you. I was just trying to respond to the OP what I experienced.

John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #12

I have zero knowledge of the reliability of the Max 10 but one poster talks about the reliability of ALL Maxforce engines. The rest of the Maxforce line is junk on wheels. The non DEF pollution system does not work. Dozens of trucking companies have trucks sitting in the yard that do not work! Multiple law suits. The Maxforce line almost bankrupted Navistar. They corrected the problem by offering Cummins power. Apparently the Max10 is working well.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote