Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2022, 04:01 PM   #1

MaxForce 10 failure

I own a 2013 Holiday Rambler Endeavor that was purchased used about 3 years ago with 40K miles. It went well till about a year ago when it developed engine problems. Long story short after being told that a new engine would have 2 year warranty I decided to replace with similar MaxForce engine at major major expense to me. Since replacement things went well till this past week when in Dallas 1200 miles from home it developed a loud noise coming from the engine. After speaking with IH repair shop in Phoenix we had it towed to IH shop in Dallas. Their preliminary diagnosis was it might need another engine replacement, I’ll add that replacement engine only had 2000 miles on it at this time. I traveled home leaving coach there, still waiting on further word. Has anyone ran into such bad luck as this and how can I trust another engine replacement after all I’ve gone through.
Bussytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2022, 04:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Is this current engine still under warranty?
What failed on the original engine?
What failed on this current engine?
I hope it all works out for you.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:17 PM   #3

I have a maxforce epa tier 7. It’s a pretty simple engine. Mine only has the dpf filter which I think yours would have as well, no Def!

What is the problem with the current engine? What happened to the prior engine? Where are you located?
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 08:18 PM   #4

MaxForce 10 failure

A little more info, the original engine developed a problem with the EGR unit. I didn’t recognize this until the engine lost all its coolant and the engine seized up before I could get it to a safe area. When they tore down the engine it was a decision of do we want to try and fix it or go with a new rebuilt engine. I was swayed by the 2 year warranty on the new one so went that route, at a major cost to myself. I’ve been driving large tour buses for 40 years so am quite familiar with maintaining and driving large Diesel powered vehicles. Once I started driving with the new engine I was very careful to monitor the water temp, oil level and any other thing that might warn of a problem. Drove it for nearly 2000 miles no problem till I started hearing strange noise coming from engine compartment, sounded like metal on metal. Had it towed to IH service. They listened to it, checked oil level and said it could be possible fuel in with the oil. They had to get ok from Warranty people on the engine before they would go any further. That’s where we stand right now. I drove the 1200 miles back to Phoenix and am waiting their call.
Bussytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
I have a maxforce epa tier 7. It’s a pretty simple engine. Mine only has the dpf filter which I think yours would have as well, no Def!
?

Good luck with that. Actually the newer IH engines that use DEF are more reliable.

On our fleet trucks we had issues keeping the DPF clear, and EGR / CAC issues also. There are class action lawsuits against Navistar because of their un-reliability.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bussytom View Post
A little more info, the original engine developed a problem with the EGR unit. I didn’t recognize this until the engine lost all its coolant and the engine seized up before I could get it to a safe area. When they tore down the engine it was a decision of do we want to try and fix it or go with a new rebuilt engine. I was swayed by the 2 year warranty on the new one so went that route, at a major cost to myself. I’ve been driving large tour buses for 40 years so am quite familiar with maintaining and driving large Diesel powered vehicles. Once I started driving with the new engine I was very careful to monitor the water temp, oil level and any other thing that might warn of a problem. Drove it for nearly 2000 miles no problem till I started hearing strange noise coming from engine compartment, sounded like metal on metal. Had it towed to IH service. They listened to it, checked oil level and said it could be possible fuel in with the oil. They had to get ok from Warranty people on the engine before they would go any further. That’s where we stand right now. I drove the 1200 miles back to Phoenix and am waiting their call.

Good luck to you. I know this will be hard to hear, but once you get it going again I recommend selling.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:16 AM   #7

Is that the RV that is parked at Southwest International waiting for an engine?
Jerryjoe66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:17 AM   #8

Oops in Mckinney Texas?
Jerryjoe66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:09 AM   #9

I feel for you. Will the engine be replaced under warranty ? I am not a big supporter of lawsuits but this might be the brst choice. If your unit was built by Navistar lemon laws might apply. Even if they give you a new engine the value of your unit has deteriorated.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:56 AM   #10

I assume you've searched google for Maxforce engine problems ? Just from my limited knowledge on them, I'd never own one. Hopefully you get this warrantied. Too bad the general public continually pays for failed R&D.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:57 PM   #11

Smile

Why are you Americans are so naive ???
You genuinely believe that if it cost waaay too much then it's Good investment.

"You get what you pay for" saying lost it's power looong time ago.
"World leaders" fleecing americans at astonishing rate , but you guys still don't want to realize it.

Look at gas prices and real estate prices and every other necessities prices === you are the one's who is paying for current war in Ukraine , and those Florida hurricane's make it even worse.

Why did you install same junk engine in your coach when you had choice to opt out for good used cummins ???
Now ::: STAY AWAY from navistar egr+dpf combo.
Get older ISL or ISM ( ISC seems too small for you) and be happy camper again.
Happy i mean HAPPY
Old 10-05-2022, 10:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatyanka View Post
Why are you Americans are so naive ???

You genuinely believe that if it cost waaay too much then it's Good investment.

"You get what you pay for" saying lost it's power looong time ago.

"World leaders" fleecing americans at astonishing rate , but you guys still don't want to realize it.

Look at gas prices and real estate prices and every other necessities prices === you are the one's who is paying for current war in Ukraine , and those Florida hurricane's make it even worse.

Why did you install same junk engine in your coach when you had choice to opt out for good used cummins ???

Now ::: STAY AWAY from navistar egr+dpf combo.

Get older ISL or ISM ( ISC seems too small for you) and be happy camper again.

Happy i mean HAPPY

Please don’t put us all in one pile.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I feel for you. Will the engine be replaced under warranty ? I am not a big supporter of lawsuits but this might be the brst choice. If your unit was built by Navistar lemon laws might apply. Even if they give you a new engine the value of your unit has deteriorated.
LOL ! ..Why would the "value of your unit has deteriorated" That makes No sense . If anyone is looking for a certain model and it has a New Motor its worth Substantially more ..
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:22 PM   #14

It will lose it's value as a prospective buyer will wonder why a low mileage has killed 2 motors. Today's buyers are not fools. They read forums. Chit chat in cg's.Maybe have heard about all the maxforce problems. Would you buy anything with that motor? A wise buyer will ask for service records. Did you know that with the owners permission a Navistar ( or FL. etc.) will release those service records. Makes good sense.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote