Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #1

MCD window shades

2007 Camalot, we are debating changing the 2 front power shades, the side shades, and the curtain, to a MCD power shade set up. The front will be the black see-through, and the solid for nighttime. The side shades will be only the nighttime shade, and we will keep the pulldown see through black mesh on the sides. Do away with the wrap around curtain.
Has anyone done this, and were you happy with the results???
The wole job, installed, will be around $1800-2100. Pricey but may be worth it.
Any comments will be helpful, I hope. The Muffin Man.
studmuffin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
2007 Camalot, we are debating changing the 2 front power shades, the side shades, and the curtain, to a MCD power shade set up. The front will be the black see-through, and the solid for nighttime. The side shades will be only the nighttime shade, and we will keep the pulldown see through black mesh on the sides. Do away with the wrap around curtain.
I have an 08 Camelot. We are having the MCD Shades installed May 12 & 13. There is also some custom valance work needed to make sure you cannot see around them and to hide the tubes. I am going all electric day and night in the cockpit. All electric night in the living room. Manual day and night over the balance of the coach. We are having it done by Custom RV in Red Bay, Alabama. He is the number 4 MCD dealer in the country.

The MCD rep came by and looked at my coach and can do a single shade in the front. I did not like the idea to two overlapping shades.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I don't own a Monaco coach, but last summer, we had the wrap around drapes replaced with a motorized MCD duo-shade (1pc) for the windshield area & the pilot/co-pilot side windows with manual MCD duo-shades. We love, Love, LOVE 'em. The day shades do a huge job of keeping out the sun/heat (& keeping the heat in when it's cold out), have the privacy of the screening & we can still see out. You won't regret getting them, even for the $$$.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We're stopping at the MCD factory in Texas later this year and having the front two shades replaced with the power day/nite. Will make a set of finished wood guides (matched to the existing wood in the moho) attached to the side panels. Spoke with them and they said the use the existing power shades switch/s to power the new one.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
We had this very thing done two years ago in Yuma, Az. At the same time we had the cabinets re-done and a new 32" TV installed. We love the shades, but the only thing we don't like is all of the banging of the shades on the MH wall when the coach goes back and forth when going down the road. Also on driver shades seem to bounce and make a noise when the road is just slightly rough. You will have to put something on the shades to keep the noise down and keep them from banging against the window frames. When sitting still they are great.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Bill, my shades also banged against the window frames. I was able to cut some felt pads (like the kind you use on the bottom of chair legs to protect the floor) into small strips, then peeled off the backing & stuck them to the oval'd edge of the bottom pull bars. They still hit the window frame as the coach rolls side-to-side, but it's not the loud whack of plastic to metal frame, now more of a soft thud.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #7

Did not know the MCD would install at the factry. Where in Texas is it and do you have a contact number and name?? I think the factory would be a better install than some of the vendors I have talked at.

Thanks, the shaddy Muffin Man.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
They are in McKinney, Texas, just north of Dallas. 972-548-1850
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #9

This may work out for us. We will be in Texas, at the Thousand Trails,on the Texas/Ok border, for Memorial Day. I will call them next week, and see if we can line up an install, at the factory. I was going to go to Alliance Coach, but the factory seems like a better idea. Thanks, one and all.
The shady Muffin Man.
The tempurature drop will help in Fla, thats for sure!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
rex

Monaco Owners Club
They also have power hookup at their plant.

MCD RV Innovations
3303 N. McDonald St.
McKinney, TX 75071
800-804-1757
http://www.mcdinnovations.com/

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
We replaced our front wrap-arouind curtain with powered MCD duo's a couple of years ago. MCD did the measurements at the July Winnebago GNR in Iowa and we had the shades shipped to meet us at Davis Cabinets in Oregon a month later. They installed the duo shades, and then I connected them into the original power sunshade wiring/switches. Our very tall windshield and overhead cabinet arrangement required three pieces/shades for the windshield. We also installed a manual duo on the driver side window where we had a similar day black-mesh type shade. Guess we could have done only the solid/night shade on that window, but we often use both the original and the MCD mesh together w/o pulling the solid one at all on that window. The MCD mesh definitely is better quality than our original. The cost for the front was right at $1k. It is FAR better than the original curtain. I cut the curtain railing down and kept the curtain that pulls across the entry door and side window as a pull-handle there made using of an MCD duo there a problem. I had already installed a pull-down solid shade on the door. We only use that curtain when someone is spending the night with us, g-kids, etc, mostly just to block out the side small window beside the door. I can use the night/solid shades across the windshield for sun visors while driving, or raise/lower them for day/night use. We absolutely love them.

We also replaced all the day/night shades with manual duo's. I did all that installation myself, which required removing the lambriquins/window treatments. There were five windows involved, which came close to another $1k.

The MCD shades are pricey to begin with, but we are very happy with them.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote