Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

Meat / Veggies

Hi
Planning our trip south next month and would like to know if anyone has recently crossed into the USA. If so, what in the way of veggies and meat did you take across or better still what did they allow you to keep. I know that every crossing may be slightly different depending on the crops grown in their immediate area, i.e. Washington State where they are always tough on fruit from BC.
I look on the web every year for updated info on what is acceptable but still feel that recent experiences are always best to find out what is allowed, at least for now.
Thanks
Don B
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I am sure there are rules about foreign products, but haven't had the need to research, so have no idea :(

But understand you may want your 'own' stuff rather than the stuff here...
however, there is a grocery store in every town

We opt to not haul anything but the essentials and shop when we get there - whereever THERE is good luck and hope your trip is memorable !
Old 09-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here's a reference that I hope helps...

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

There's lots of information, and some of it is a little "indeterminate". This section of the reference link applies to Candian "imports":

Fruits and vegetables grown in Canada are generally admissible, if they have labels identifying them as products of Canada. Fruits and vegetables merely purchased in Canada are not necessarily admissible, i.e. citrus or tropical fruits such as mangos, which clearly were not grown in Canada because it does not have a climate that supports those crops. (Potatoes from western regions of Canada are currently restricted because of a disease outbreak.

While commercial imports are permitted under stringent guidelines, travelers from Canada should avoid bringing raw potatoes with them into the U.S.).
Food products from Canada, including pet food and fresh (frozen or chilled), cooked, canned or otherwise processed products containing beef, veal, bison, and cervid (e.g. deer, elk, moose, caribou etc.) are now permitted from Canada in passenger baggage. Products containing sheep, lamb, or goat will not be allowed entry. Food products should be commercially packaged and sealed with ingredients listed in English.

The passenger must provide proof of the origin of beef, pork, poultry, cervid meat, and pet food in order to bring them into the United States. Examples of proof of origin include the grocery store receipt where the product was purchased or the label on the product indicating the province in which it was packaged.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #4

Crossed back into the US at Abbotsford on August 10th while returning from Alaska.

Basically got a wave thru with no questions about fruits, veggies, eggs or meats. Only question was related to 22 ammo. Same results when going thru US customs entering Alaska.

Only delay at customs was going into Canada at Portal ND. Got pulled out for an "immigration interview". Still can't understand that one since I have crossed the border 10 times in the last 8 years.

My advise is to take it along and give it up if you are challenged. Easy to replace if it is confiscated.

Good Luck.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

D. Barber,

I cross several times a year and this is the most recent list of food stuffs that I avoid bringing across.

All raw meat products (beef, chicken, pork, etc...)

All fresh citrus fruits (in fact, I bring no raw fruit at all, including apples, bananas, etc..)

All fresh egg products. This used to be okay.

All unpackaged pet food products. If you travel with a pet, make sure you bring the original package. It may still be confiscated.

I usually just bring cooked yams, some parsley, celery and carrots for our delicate pooch. As soon as I hit the states, I stop in at Costco and load up with boneless leg of lamb (again for the pooch). Then it's off to Haggens for all of the other food stuff for the DW and myself.

If unsure, call the local border crossing as the website is not as updated as the local crossing.

Never had a problem with the MH. They always stopped me pulling a trailer....just for practise, I suppose?
Chef Guy is offline   Reply With Quote