Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2021, 07:12 AM   #1

Mice

We have a 40 ft 2005 Safari Gazelle. We are having a continuing problem with field mice moving in. We have blocked the obvious holes but they are still getting in. We think it may be from under the dash up front. Anyone have a solution?
alanjdevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2021, 07:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If your chassis is a raised rail type there should be heavy rubber covering both ends. Check to see if there are any openings there. I used cans of foam to fill voids.

Also check above the fuel tank, there will be supply and return lines going up into the frame, you may have to remove the ceiling in the adjacent compartment to get at any holes.

I've had trouble with mice off an on while my motorhome was parked on our property while building a house. Ultimately I found that it is almost impossible to keep mouse out. I did try the mouse deterrent, the peppermint type, didn't seem to help. Tried moth balls, maybe helped a little.

Even had a snake get in somehow, found a ~3' skin under the dash, this helped as the mice went away but not sure this is viable.

Finally I just keep mouse traps set and check them regularly, this seems to work the best but you have to check, nothing worse then finding a decomposing dead mouse.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
If your chassis is a raised rail type there should be heavy rubber covering both ends. Check to see if there are any openings there. I used cans of foam to fill voids.

Also check above the fuel tank, there will be supply and return lines going up into the frame, you may have to remove the ceiling in the adjacent compartment to get at any holes.

I've had trouble with mice off an on while my motorhome was parked on our property while building a house. Ultimately I found that it is almost impossible to keep mouse out. I did try the mouse deterrent, the peppermint type, didn't seem to help. Tried moth balls, maybe helped a little.

Even had a snake get in somehow, found a ~3' skin under the dash, this helped as the mice went away but not sure this is viable.

Finally I just keep mouse traps set and check them regularly, this seems to work the best but you have to check, nothing worse then finding a decomposing dead mouse.
Agreed....have tried everything and it just ends up being traps checked regularly and look for their food droppings to identify their locations.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:06 AM   #4

Peppermint oil has worked ok as a deterrent only for me.
Once they are in it doesnt chase them away.
Its traps or poison once they get in.
Pure essential oil only, I tried diluting it and it didnt work, a mouse made a home.
Trap got that one and a few days later I actually saw one. Haven't seen it since because I squirt straight oil into that area.
The trap would have probably snagged that one too if it stuck around.
The smell is very strong, I can smell it when I walk pass the trailer.
Not something you really want to live/sleep in when you treat it.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #5

Rather than retyping a long reply, here are some links to my previous posts on mice. Wish I had an easy answer. If I had one it would have made my job doing institutional pest control a whole lot easier. 90% of my calls were for Mice/Rats, ants, and wasps/hornets/yellowjackets.

You'll see a common theme in the posts, and the first part ain't fun - finding and plugging all the entry points. That's THE most important step, bar none.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/mic...er-552181.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/how-...-526523-3.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/any-...ay-368250.html

And here's a link to one of my posts that links more of my posts. Hope you like to read.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/pes...-440575-2.html
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:42 AM   #6

Sadly, I just recently lost my father. His car was covered and stored in the barn and I was tasked with selling it. We had to jump it off but it started right up. However, nearly every warning light on the dash was on. Turns out that mice had chewed on the wiring, completely into in two places. I don't know what the attraction is to wiring but do whatever you can to keep them out of your RV.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMyers17 View Post
Sadly, I just recently lost my father. His car was covered and stored in the barn and I was tasked with selling it. We had to jump it off but it started right up. However, nearly every warning light on the dash was on. Turns out that mice had chewed on the wiring, completely into in two places. I don't know what the attraction is to wiring but do whatever you can to keep them out of your RV.
Depends on age of vehicle.
They eat it because since the 90's manufacturer's are using a soybean based wiring insulation.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
Depends on age of vehicle.
They eat it because since the 90's manufacturer's are using a soybean based wiring insulation.
Soybean wire insulation is a modern problem (like 2021 current). There's a lawsuit/complaint against Tesla on this too.
And it's not just the wiring! https://www.thedrive.com/news/20878/...ing-insulation

Honda sells a "Rodent Tape" for wrapping around electrical wires to keep the pests away. https://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-...4019-2317.aspx
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #9

Thanks to all responders!
alanjdevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:24 AM   #10

Last trip we had a squirrel got in, I thought he got in through battery bay I left open, then wife saw him come down off passenger wheel. I have a starting point, and the wire mesh and foam are ready. Wire mesh keeps little buggers out, foam seals air leaks and insulates, 2 birds 1 hammer. Best time is a really dark night to find the holes, use a really bright bright light inside, find light leaks from outside and underneath. You can use bamboo barbecue skewers to mark holes to seal in daylight hours.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
Last trip we had a squirrel got in, I thought he got in through battery bay I left open, then wife saw him come down off passenger wheel. I have a starting point, and the wire mesh and foam are ready. Wire mesh keeps little buggers out, foam seals air leaks and insulates, 2 birds 1 hammer. Best time is a really dark night to find the holes, use a really bright bright light inside, find light leaks from outside and underneath. You can use bamboo barbecue skewers to mark holes to seal in daylight hours.
Two thumbs up for your determination on finding entry points. Really like the bamboo skewer idea. It's the hardest part of "mouse proofing" your RV, and is the most important step.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:07 PM   #12

I'll add a couple things since you are seeing evidence in the dash area. Check bundles of wires or hoses that may come through the floor or wall. Feel in the center of the bundle with a finger. I was fooled for a while when doing a visual inspection of my rig because I saw the wire bundles had been foamed by the factory. What I discovered was they foamed AROUND the bundle which ended up leaving a perfect mouse sized gap in the center of the bundle. Also look and see if you can tell where your outside air comes in for your dash air. If you find an opening that can fit a mouse head, pinky finger sized, get some 1/4" x 1/4" hardware cloth to cover the opening. If you even wonder if a mouse could get through, look close with a flashlight or probe with a finger. Check around the pedal boots too. You aren't looking for large holes. Mice can get their bodies through any hole that will pass their skulls. They can dislocate their shoulders and hips to wriggle through. In one of our classes they showed a video done with x-rays of a mouse doing just that. It was pretty amazing.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:23 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Two thumbs up for your determination on finding entry points. Really like the bamboo skewer idea. It's the hardest part of "mouse proofing" your RV, and is the most important step.

We keep commercial type rat poison boxes under the coach - usually 3 or 4. Since we started doing so our rodent problem has gone away.
Vulture47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:34 AM   #14

Good examples of factory work. This was my first class A. Thor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F11A9AD3-9B32-42AA-8D42-8CEA51332A48.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	344241   Click image for larger version

Name:	D428181C-5110-438E-B472-1A821293CBAE.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	223.2 KB