Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #1

Michelin-X XZA tires

I returned from the Florida RV Supershow in Tampa a couple of days ago. One of the things that I was looking at there was what tires are the new high end DP coaches being supplied with by the manufacturers. Interstingly, virtually all the high end coach manufacturer DP coaches were running the same tires: Michelin-X XZA tires. Virtually every coach I looked at was running Michelins. I did not take the time to look for anything other than the general model or series of tires. When I got home and had time to look up Michelin's web page, I discovered that there actually 4 or 5 different series of this same tire (an issue I ignored when looking at them), and they do not come in the 295 size that I currently run (305 is the closest). There is a "regional" version, an "energy" version, a "long haul" version, and one optimized for the steer axle.

I am assuming some of you are more expert with tires than I am, and some of you are currently running these tires, and I wonder what your opinions and experience has been with these tires. My current tires are aging out and I am going to be thinking of replacing all of them within the next year, and I am wondering what your opinions and experience are, plus or minus before I make this sizeable purchase.

Thanks in advance

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #2

I am now in Yuma and local tire dealers are getting XZA-2 Energy in 295/80R22.5

Wondering if this is common.

Wondering how this tire performs for folks.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I think both the XZA-2 and XZE are a good choice. The XZA's are their "highway" tire and do well for high mileage folks, the XZE's are their "regional" tires and made more for the wear & tear of street driving ( I think they have tougher sidewalls and corners). Most people seem to go for the XZA's. Back when we researched tires we ended up with XZE's primarily because we do a lot of boondocking (riding over more rough terrain) and do relatively low yearly miles (we average 3,000 per year as fulltimers...way less than most folks).....so our driving is a bit different than most other RVers. We've been very happy with them so far.

Another bonus with both XZE and XZA is that they're popular tires (lots of turnover) so when you buy stock you'll get a very recent date code. The date code of our tires was only around 6 weeks old when we installed them. Pretty much right off the factory line!

Our tires are 275/80 size.

Nina
Old 01-20-2014, 03:46 PM   #4

I think you will find more opinions on tires than most other subjects on this forum. I will give you mine....and our experience.

Have always been a fan of Michelin tires. In 2010, I replaced aging Michelin XRV tires with new Michelin XZA-3 tires. Had the work done at a "big tire" store that does primarily trucks, over-the-road semis, RV's, etc. They do very little business on the usual car/light truck vehicle. These guys know big trucks and big tires. They also know that underneath our fancy RV bodywork is, usually, a heavy duty truck chassis.

I could not be happier with these tires. They are extremely quiet, are wearing like steel....and the coach rides like a magic carpet. Much better than the XRV's, although they were, admitedly, getting long in the tooth for sure.

One thing about the XZA tire that, IMO, you should consider. They come with an amazing 7 year/700,000 mile/ 3-retread warranty on the tire casing. To me, these are serious tires spinning underneath the near 30,000 lb. coach we ride in. And that is rather important to me. I truly hope I never have to fall back on the warranty, of course, to prove the wisdom of my purchase. But I think the warranty should tell you about the quality of the tire you are purchasing. By the way, the price was excellent and right there with the XRV....which does not have a warranty comparable to the XZA. And I am also a strong believer that one should consider doing business with folks that know "big" tires. There is much more to consider than just price, IMHO.

BTW, our tires are 275/80R22.5; XZA-3/16's on the front, 14's on the rear.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeapBigEngin View Post
BTW, our tires are 275/80R22.5; XZA-3/16's on the front, 14's on the rear.

FWIW. Oops. I gave the spec sheet page numbers 16 & 14 in error per my repair order. I meant to give you the load range, per Michelin. The fronts are load range H, the rears are load range G.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I returned from the Florida RV Supershow in Tampa a couple of days ago. One of the things that I was looking at there was what tires are the new high end DP coaches being supplied with by the manufacturers. Interstingly, virtually all the high end coach manufacturer DP coaches were running the same tires: Michelin-X XZA tires. Virtually every coach I looked at was running Michelins. I did not take the time to look for anything other than the general model or series of tires. When I got home and had time to look up Michelin's web page, I discovered that there actually 4 or 5 different series of this same tire (an issue I ignored when looking at them), and they do not come in the 295 size that I currently run (305 is the closest). There is a "regional" version, an "energy" version, a "long haul" version, and one optimized for the steer axle.

I am assuming some of you are more expert with tires than I am, and some of you are currently running these tires, and I wonder what your opinions and experience has been with these tires. My current tires are aging out and I am going to be thinking of replacing all of them within the next year, and I am wondering what your opinions and experience are, plus or minus before I make this sizeable purchase.

Thanks in advance

Gary
We replaced all of our Goodyears with the XZA-3's and have been very pleased with these tires. The XZA-3's are designed to rotate in only one direction but that is not a problem for us becasue we learned on the dually trucks we have owned not to rotate tires from one side to the other.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:42 AM   #7

I've had excellent service with Michelins, for the steer axel the Coach X.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
We replaced all of our Goodyears with the XZA-3's and have been very pleased with these tires. The XZA-3's are designed to rotate in only one direction but that is not a problem for us becasue we learned on the dually trucks we have owned not to rotate tires from one side to the other. Bob
We did the same thing in 2012. Dumped low mileage Goodyears for the XZA-3's. The Michelins have performed great and as others have said, are quiet and good riding. We were in the trucking business for 43 years and for us it was between Michelin and Bridgestone based on experience. We don't regret our decision to go with Michelin.

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #9

Thanks for you help

I want to thank everyone who took the time to reply to this thread and my question. I think that I am going to go with the XZA-3 version. My thinking, not always correct, is that I generally want what the manufacturers are putting on their comparable products. Hearing personal experience to back up that assumption is really helpful. I will be pricing them out in the next year. If the differences are not too drastic (compared to everything else), that is the way I am going to go.

I also learned a couple of very important facts: 1.) the tires are desiged to rotate in only one direction, and 2.) even though I never anticipate retreading them, a 700,000 mile casing warranty means a lot to me.

Thanks again.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #10

If you are a member of Monaco International you can get the best price for Michelins, next best price is through FMCA they both have a group pricing plan. You still go though your dealer only you pay for the tires at FMCA. I bought my tires for less than what my dealer payes, the tires were sent to my dealer and I payed him to mount and balance. It was really easy and I saved plenty.
99Monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #11

Costco has consistently had the lowest price for Michelin's, much lower than FMCA. The only hitch is you have to pick the tires up at the warehouse and take them to installer. However this allows you to bargain with the installers, some of them will install you tires for free is they get to keep your good condition old tires.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Costco has consistently had the lowest price for Michelin's, much lower than FMCA. The only hitch is you have to pick the tires up at the warehouse and take them to installer. However this allows you to bargain with the installers, some of them will install you tires for free is they get to keep your good condition old tires.
Costco is a very good deal, but they don't carry the larger 275 or 295 sizes, at least not last time I checked. For the bigger sizes the FMCA Michelin program has the best prices.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Costco is a very good deal, but they don't carry the larger 275 or 295 sizes, at least not last time I checked. For the bigger sizes the FMCA Michelin program has the best prices.
Yes they do, they are special order, take between 3-6 days to arrive. You need to call them or go in person and the will give you the price and approx delivery date.

Date codes on the last set of 275's I got were some of the newest tires I have ever had.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Yes they do, they are special order, take between 3-6 days to arrive. You need to call them or go in person and the will give you the price and approx delivery date. Date codes on the last set of 275's I got were some of the newest tires I have ever had.
Very good to know! Cheers for that piece of info!

Tags
tires