Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Michelins 275/70/22.5

Need tires for my 2001 Diplomat, it has the Goodyear 255/70/22.5 (H) that are pushing 10yrs old. Before I drop the big $$$$$ wanted to check with the members, I'm thinking of going with the Michelins 275/70/22.5 XZE2 (J) I am a FMCA member, Thanks Denny
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What does the truck tire store say about going to "275s"? deSanford What is the effect of going from 275-80-22.5 to 295-80-22.5?
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi Denny

I just went through this process and bought 6 new tires for my unit. I stayed with the 255 / 70 /22.5 size in the Michelins XZE's . I am very happy with my purchase. They ride very nicely. I would not know what the implications or complications might be in moving up to the 275's size.

As for the FMCA program, I would recommend it. It saved me nearly $60.00 per tire and was very simple to get it done. Some other members of IRV2 may have different opinions but in my area of CA there were not many options or places to get a better deal. I only had one National Michelin dealer that would work with the FMCA program. Even then that dealer was 70 miles round trip away from my home. Others dealers closer to me could not give me a better price and could not handle the FMCA program.

Good luck
Bill
bkphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure as I haven't asked at Costco about ordering MH tires, but maybe they could and you would take them to your favorite tire place for mounting. Today at Costco they are offering $70.00 off a set of four (car tires?). deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Lued......I just replaced my 275/70-22.5 GoodYears on the front of my coach two weeks ago with the Hankook AH-12's in the same size. Obviously, only time will tell, but they ride and handle the same as when the GoodYears were new.

This is the third set of new front tires in 50k miles for my coach. The first two sets of GoodYears both developed tread separations in one tire, forcing me to replace both. I WON'T buy another set of GoodYear tires for any vehicle. Some have great luck, but mine have been crap both on my cars and RV. There prices have also become rediculous. I bought both Hankooks for $940.00 OTD.

The Hankooks are a good looking tire, rode really well over 400 miles yesterday and handle the same through turns.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Lued......I just replaced my 275/70-22.5 GoodYears on the front of my coach two weeks ago with the Hankook AH-12's in the same size. Obviously, only time will tell, but they ride and handle the same as when the GoodYears were new.

This is the third set of new front tires in 50k miles for my coach. The first two sets of GoodYears both developed tread separations in one tire, forcing me to replace both. I WON'T buy another set of GoodYear tires for any vehicle. Some have great luck, but mine have been crap both on my cars and RV. There prices have also become rediculous. I bought both Hankooks for $940.00 OTD.

The Hankooks are a good looking tire, rode really well over 400 miles yesterday and handle the same through turns.
I did as you only I replaced all 6 on my Ambassador. Saved a bunch of Money and am very happy.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #7

I have a friend with a 2006 Dip and he step up to 275/80/22.5. No issues at all size wise. I have an 07 Endouver that came with the 80 series tires. They increase the size in 07 on both coaches from 70 series to 80. I would go with 80's. Very little extra money for alot more tire.

I just replace my 6 year old GY's that had rivering (of course) and went with Michiline's XZA3+ in the 275 80 22.5. Got the best deal at a Love's Truck center here in Texas. They have tire shops at most of there truck stops. They also buy back your old tires for $60 ea. They beat FMCA deal by $300. Paid $3450 mounted and spin bal included. I would encourge all to check their prices if you have a Love's in your area.
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback, DeSanford and gregk, I think that the 2001 Diplomats have a clearance problem .? Would like to go to the 80s, I'm going to do some measuring and see what I come up with , Does anyone have a 2001 with that size.?? Thanks Denny
Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lued View Post
Thanks for the feedback, DeSanford and gregk, I think that the 2001 Diplomats have a clearance problem .? Would like to go to the 80s, I'm going to do some measuring and see what I come up with , Does anyone have a 2001 with that size.?? Thanks Denny
I put 275X70RX22.5 Load Range J XZA2 Energy Michelin's on my 2001 Diplomat front axle with no clearance problems at all. Though I stayed with the 255's on the rear axle, there is even more clearance space there. No, the ride height does not need to be re-set and the speedometer does not change. Jim Wall at Source Engineering said there's nothing wrong with 275's on the front and 255's on the back. It's a lower cost way to improve ride and increase front axle weight bearing capacity which is marginal with 255's. Monaco went to 275's on Diplomats in 2002.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote