Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #1

Angry Micro/Convection Oven replacement

Greetings! Need to replace our Convection/microwave as ours is need of
repair. To repair is out of the questions. Our question(s) are: The source to replace either on line or in store. Self installation or have it done? If we diy, is there steps or tricks to install. We have a Sharp carousel Sensor mircowave/convection oven. Currently in Jacksonville, Fl...Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thks

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What is it doing? Does it work at all or just some features. There is a appliance fuse behind the the push buttons in the wiring.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I found the same model Sharp microwave/convection new on the internet and had it shipped to me. It cost $159.00 with freight. I had it installed at an RV Dealer. They charged me $100.00. They used the existing mount as it was specially drilled in the top to mount on my 2005 Safari MH. My guess is that Monaco used the same mounting method on all of their models for the Sharp.

The Sharps of that era had a defect that caused them to shut off after 1 minute in all modes. It was more expensive to have it fixed than replaced (Sharp had a recall for this defect about 5 years ago). Search the internet for the model and you should be able to find the same one, they still make the same model (now without the defect). It is far easier to use the exact same model for fit and finish than a different one.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #4

Sharp Microwave

Jim,
Do you remember the Web site that you found the replacement on. We
have seached the net w/o any results other then thru Sharp themselves.
What you describe is exactly the answer to our problem. Hope you
remember where you found it. Many thanks for your response.
Jack & Mary

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Old 02-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I got it from Overstock.com, they do not currently show any listings, I think I lucked out. I found the link below $540.00 but then you get a 10% discount and free freight. That makes it $486.00 and no sale tax. Hope this helps. It is a Model R1870 the last digit represents the color, 1871, 1872,1873, white, bisque, stainless etc. 1870 is the black.

Sharp 1.1 CF 850W Convection Sensor Over The Range Microwave Oven - R1870 Microwaves : Homeclick.com

Jim
Old 02-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Gypsies2....Just out of curiosity....Is it running for 59 seconds and shutting down? That's a common problem that's repairable.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #7

Most wall mount microwaves hang on a standard sheet metal mounting plate that screws to the wall behind the unit. Look under yours at the back and you will most likely see the sheet metal, and its coupla "hooks" that bend up to hole the bottom rear edge.
I replaced a friend's with a different brand. It was easier to clean the old plate and reuse it without even taking it off the wall than to install the new plate that came w/the new unit. IIRC it hooked on at the lower back edge near each corner, then bolted at the top w/a coupla short bolts. So when you release the bolts at top, make sure you have something (or someone) under the old unit to catch it. Then buy a new unit that suits your fancy and pop it in.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #8

We replaced our Sharp with an Advantium (required a different back plate) and I would not recommend this to anyone. The Sharp cooks much more evenly and we are just waiting for this to fail so we can go back to a Sharp.
The Sharp USA site lists Lowes as a retailer. You can look here for the zip code search for other retailers as well. (I picked the stainless steel model)
Product Location Finder | Dealers | Where to Buy SHARP Electronics
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
Retired Senior Member

Lowes couldn't find a replacement for the Sharp. I too chose the GE and immediately notice it is not nearly as quick to boil a cup of water. However, the oven is a 1.7 cu-ft where the Sharp was 1.1. Different backing plate and top support holes and power cable hole as well. I did it myself with some grunting and swearing.

The GE was non-functional right out of the box! GE sent a repairman immediately and he adjusted the door latch switches. Didn't give me a warm-fuzzy at all. :-(
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #10

OK, if Lowe's can't do it, check out Pacific Sales. They are only on the West Coast, but maybe they ship. We were just in one of there showrooms and it was in stock. It was so hard not to buy one so I could get rid of our @#(UTWER) Advantium.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #11

Yes, it does shut off after 59 seconds, plus the turn table has stopped working. What is your suggestion?

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Old 02-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsies2 View Post
Yes, it does shut off after 59 seconds, plus the turn table has stopped working. What is your suggestion?

If it is an 1874, it's a good bet the dampner switch is(59 " problem). If your are electrically inclined, it's an easy fix.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
See if these links might be of help.
all Microwave Display Repair Sharp Dacor GE General Electric

http://www.fixya.com/support/t127466...n_after_59_sec

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/shar...tml#post602671
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Gypsies2....I see "adj" and "JC2" already posted the answer above. Easyfix if you want to save some money.

Side Note: I found a paddle switch at Walmart that plugs into the microwave outlet and then the plug is plugged into the switch. I can reach into the cabinet and flip the microwave off when we're not hooked up to shore power for awhile. Personally, I believe that allowing the microwave to run on inverter power or leaving it on all the time when plugged in at home causes them to die early.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote