Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Microwave Vent to The Outside of Coach

After almost 14 years since the coach was newly delivered to the original owners and after owning the coach since 2003 I finally decided to vent the microwave to the outside where it SHOULD have been done from the beginning by Monaco (cheap ba$tard$).

While at Elite R&R in Harrisburg Oregon having some work done I had them install an outside vent that I had purchased from the Internet.

It was well worth the 3 hours of labor to remove the microwave, measure and cut the opening in the wall through 1.5 inches of plywood and fiberglass and then re-install the microwave.

Photo attached.

If you haven't done this already I highly recommend putting the project on your list.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Microwave Vent.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	93792  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've done it on two of our prior Sticks/Bricks homes but have been hesitant to do it on the MH with a fantastic fan nearby.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Awesome! I've been wanting to do this to our Endeavor ever since we had to sacrifice the center vent-fan by putting in the center AC instead. Do you remember what brand/model vent you used (or where you got it)?

Does it have some type of locking- closure method? Had a wall-vent on another rv, and it didn't latch closed, just flip-flopped whenever the wind blew or going down the road... finally duct-taped it shut.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had ordered it from HERE. I chose the black so I didn't have to paint it to match my coach which is an added expense that I did not want to take on. There is enough black in the coach that it blends in.

I have also added another photo below which gives you a better perspective of the vent and where it is located. That slide you see is my entire kitchen except for the residential fridge located across and to the rear of my large salon slide.

There is no locking method for the flapper but truthfully it really doesn't need one as the flapper is way at the top and is well protected by the snap on cover.

It is a two piece device where you attach the main part of the vent with the flapper and the hood/cover snaps on over it which covers up all of the mounting screws.

It is one of the best that I could find on the Internet other than having a custom one made up which would be even MORE money.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Microwave Vent-02.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	93826  
Old 05-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
very nice thanks for the part link
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Good job...
On our current (soon to be previous) 'upscale' 5er with the convection mw,
they installed an exhaust for you ! BUT, it was tabbed closed and no one ever told you about that little nugget...

Probably didn't matter in that on most of them the outlet did not line UP with the vent anyway

some owners reported near fires because of it when the mw would come on on it's own and warm up more than just the food !!!

We never had that issue because, as my wife likes to say, that kitchen 'stuff' like ovens, etc are just "decorative" !
Old 05-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info, Dr4Film.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
That looks very nice indeed.
I do have to ask about the concern for venting a microwave?
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It's the Dr's thread, but imho...
If it's just a mw, no problem, if it's a convection mw - then it's a problem to not be vented
Old 05-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
It's the Dr's thread, but imho...
If it's just a mw, no problem, if it's a convection mw - then it's a problem to not be vented
Well, often the microwave is also the vent-a-hood for the stove and if not vented it typically blows back into your face and into the rig. In that case I think outside venting would be nice. It also might be a bit quieter.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post

That looks very nice indeed.
I do have to ask about the concern for venting a microwave?
The microwave itself does not need to be vented however the very bottom part is a range hood which will vent any cooking done on the cook-top.

In the past everything was sucked up through two grease catchers and vented out the front. Depending on what my wife was cooking it may set off the smoke alarm even though you couldn't see anything.

Now everything is vented from the cook-top out through the rear and kitchen sidewall to the outside.

The only problem now is that every time she cooks Thai food which is almost ALL the time people come knocking at the door to see if they can have lunch or dinner with us.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
That makes a lot of sense.
And it looks great.
Thanks
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:31 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Richard
Is there a connection between the microwave and your new vent? Do you block off the front vent that vents inside the coach? Looks like a great idea.
Thanks
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Hi Richard
Is there a connection between the microwave and your new vent? Do you block off the front vent that vents inside the coach? Looks like a great idea.
Thanks
Rick
I was curious as well if there is a connection or other type of seal between the oven and the vent.

To get the oven to vent outside rather than inside, before you install it you typically have to reposition the squirrel cage blower for rear venting. So its not so much sealing the front vent but redirecting which way the fan blows.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent