Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Things are quiet so I thought I would post some driving results. We just completed a 2500 mile trip from California to Seattle and back. It included a visit with MonacoMama and SacsTc. We made the trip with my sister and brother-in-law (Itasca Meridian). We decided to experiment by reducing our normal driving speed from 63 mph to 57 mph.

Last year we made a 3000 mile trip through Arizona, Colorado, Utah and back to California. We regularly drove 63 mph and I fueled the motorhome at the same station and same pump that we started from. I divided the total mileage by total fuel consumned and averaged 8.3 mpg (not towing).

I did the same thing on this trip, but was towing a 4500 pound Dodge Dakota. We were very religious at maintaining the 57 mph. We averaged 8.8 mpg. I'm guessing that if I wasn't towing I would have hit 9.0 mpg.

I accelerated more slowly when I could and backed off the throttle a little sooner. I also resisted racing up every grade (that was tough). The drive turned out to be a little more relaxing and it cost us about 30 miles less traveled on a long driving day. The increase wasn't dramatic, but was a pretty decent improvement for changing a few driving habits.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Things are quiet so I thought I would post some driving results. We just completed a 2500 mile trip from California to Seattle and back. It included a visit with MonacoMama and SacsTc. We made the trip with my sister and brother-in-law (Itasca Meridian). We decided to experiment by reducing our normal driving speed from 63 mph to 57 mph.

Last year we made a 3000 mile trip through Arizona, Colorado, Utah and back to California. We regularly drove 63 mph and I fueled the motorhome at the same station and same pump that we started from. I divided the total mileage by total fuel consumned and averaged 8.3 mpg (not towing).

I did the same thing on this trip, but was towing a 4500 pound Dodge Dakota. We were very religious at maintaining the 57 mph. We averaged 8.8 mpg. I'm guessing that if I wasn't towing I would have hit 9.0 mpg.

I accelerated more slowly when I could and backed off the throttle a little sooner. I also resisted racing up every grade (that was tough). The drive turned out to be a little more relaxing and it cost us about 30 miles less traveled on a long driving day. The increase wasn't dramatic, but was a pretty decent improvement for changing a few driving habits.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The drive turned out to be a little more relaxing and it cost us about 30 miles less traveled on a long driving day. The increase wasn't dramatic, but was a pretty decent improvement for changing a few driving habits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don,
Yep, that's the key. You saved about 28 gallons of fuel on your 3000 mile trip. So at $4.50/gal you saved about $126.00. Not dramatic, as you say, but it bought you a few free nights in a camp ground and you had a more relaxing trip. Makes sense to me.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
$126 saved. That's $126 closer to the next widget you want to buy Don!! Good write up and really shows how much a lead foot costs.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Don,
Will your trans stay in 6th gear at that speed? On mine, the 5/6 shift takes place at 60 mph, and the I can back down to 58 and maintain 6th gear, with mode light on. Much lower than 58, it will go back to 5th.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:06 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Harry,
Ours is the same as yours. Up to 60 to achieve 6th gear and then back it down to achieve lower speed in 6th. At 57 it goes into 5th no matter what I try.
Don,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We averaged 8.8 mpg. I'm guessing that if I wasn't towing I would have hit 9.0 mpg.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You have more miles on yours, but we have averaged 8.4 since day one. No difference whether or not we have toad behind us.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Now my experence is different. I tryed to back down to 55 and my mileage dropped to 4.0 mpg, I went back up to 71 and my mileage went up to 5.8 mpg. The only thing I can figure is the gearing, I have 4.33 and at 55 mph it seems to labor along(1200 rpm), at 1500 rpm (71 mph) the coach just purrs along. This is with towing my toad (2007 Ford Explorer). Now, I only have 9200 miles on my Sig, and I can only guess what kind of mileage I'll get once the motor gets broken in.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Happycarz, it stayed in 6th without an issue. Maybe a gearing thing. I also have the shorter tires on mine. It wasn't until 06 when they went to the larger size.

I think one of the biggest things that helped out was not racing onto on ramps and letting off the throttle sooner when coming to stops. I also read a post recently that discussed everything from aerodynamics to tires for improving your mileage. I think it was printed by either Cummins or Cat. I went looking, but can't find it now. It was really helpful and had a lot of little tips on improving mileage.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">cb5300
Now my experence is different. I tryed to back down to 55 and my mileage dropped to 4.0 mpg, I went back up to 71 and my mileage went up to 5.8 mpg. The only thing I can figure is the gearing, I have 4.33 and at 55 mph it seems to labor along(1200 rpm), at 1500 rpm (71 mph) the coach just purrs along. This is with towing my toad (2007 Ford Explorer). Now, I only have 9200 miles on my Sig, and I can only guess what kind of mileage I'll get once the motor gets broken in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> ...the miles per gallon at a high speed versus mpg at slow speed break the laws of earth physics... was your coach made on another planet? try your study one more time because it's not possible... perhaps a math error, gen hours run, or a faulty on board fuel usage computer.... maybe your engine's fuel computer is faulty...http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...1/ai_n27549750

In motion Satelite receiver, Equal Tire Balancer
Majeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Diplomat Don:
I also read a post recently that discussed everything from aerodynamics to tires for improving your mileage. I think it was printed by either Cummins or Cat. I went looking, but can't find it now. It was really helpful and had a lot of little tips on improving mileage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know about the specific information you read, but here are links to documents for Cummins, CAT and Kenworth that discuss reasons for lower MPG and how to improve fuel efficiency.

Cummins

Caterpillar

Kenworth

Bill
Old 08-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks CoolJourney.....It was the Cummins discussion that I read. I looked today and for the life of me I couldn't find it. A lot of it pertained ot OTR truckers, but it was good info.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:54 AM   #12

I look at it a little different.

Assuming (dangerous) I drive a 3,000 mile trip and slow down to save $130 then what is MY down side?? Well, I like to travel about 300 miles a day so that results in 10 days to cover 3,000 miles. If I loose 30 miles a day, as Don did, then I add another full day on the road and one more campground fee. If I stay somewhere convenient, the extra night is another $30, reducing my saving to $100.

Usually, if someone would ask me if I was willing to save one day on the road but cost me $100, I would jump on it. I also would rather have one more day at a beautiful destination that on the road 6 hours and staying at a convenient campground, not one that is in an area that I'm interested in exploring the sights.

I guess it goes back to a time that I was making trips back and forth across country, pulling a 15,000 pound gooseneck trailer. I would dive three days, at 10 hours a day. If I could travel just 3 MPH faster for the entire day, I would arrive 30 minutes earlier.

The last 30 minutes of a 10 hour day on the road was the worst 30 minutes. This may not be a good comparison to travel in our motor coaches.

Life is too short, my Dynasty travels comfortably at 68-70 mph, and the extra $100 over a 3,000 mile trip is not even a blip on the radar screen.

I tow a really small Saturn and once I arrive I will usually save a bunch more in gas mileage sight seeing in the Saturn that others towing and sight seeing in larger, heavier, and less fuel efficient vehicles.

Having another day off the road and checking out the scenery is a better choice FOR ME.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:40 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I think more than anything else, trying to get better mileage on a motorhome or other RV is just a fun thing for guys to do. I have gotten over the MPG thing and just focus on all the other fun these days. I figure the motorhome is going to get what it gets. I use to record every drop of fuel I put in every vehicle I owned to the point of obsession. One day I forgot to record the miles and it drove me up the wall. I decided that since my record was now spoiled I would just throw all the journals away and give up the habit. It was like a giant weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

If it will make any of you feel better, I have a new obsession. I have purchased just about all the map software and gps software you can buy for the laptop. I also have more GSP devices than I need.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Since we were not in a hurry on this trip we decided to experiment with driving slower. Will I always do that, probably not. I can afford the fuel, but I wanted to see if I could implement some changes that would have an effect on the mileage. My coach is relatively small, but has the ISL in it. It's a rocket and often I drive it like that. Rarely will I let another MH pass me on a grade , but I'm trying to be more mature with my driving habits. The board was slow and I thought it might be something of interest to read.

I think you can do a combination of things to help without really going out of your way. I'm more choosy where I fuel (price) and try not to hot rod as much. BUT....If I'm in a hurry with only a couple of days off....GET OUT OF MY WAY!