Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
That is correct Van. Old technology.

Mike.
In the case of diesel generator sets, I'm impressed by the way the inverter-based Onan I have operates so quietly, but I've also been holding my breath for two years wondering when some electronics are going to crap out. I was surprised to hear you say your "conventional" gen-set STILL had an electronic board.

I have "fixed" a considerable number of circuit boards in my CNC machines by simply looking carefully at them. It has always surprised me how many times I can spot a failed board-level component or a bad connection just by looking closely. I think Myron previously mentioned this. But the honest truth is that if a visual inspection cannot reveal a problem with a circuit board, I'm clueless. So, I LIKE it lots of times when stuff is not electronic! LOL
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #128

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
In the case of diesel generator sets, I'm impressed by the way the inverter-based Onan I have operates so quietly, but I've also been holding my breath for two years wondering when some electronics are going to crap out. I was surprised to hear you say your "conventional" gen-set STILL had an electronic board.

I have "fixed" a considerable number of circuit boards in my CNC machines by simply looking carefully at them. It has always surprised me how many times I can spot a failed board-level component or a bad connection just by looking closely. I think Myron previously mentioned this. But the honest truth is that if a visual inspection cannot reveal a problem with a circuit board, I'm clueless. So, I LIKE it lots of times when stuff is not electronic! LOL
Van, I am surprised your 2000 has an inverter genset in it. My understanding is the inverter gensets are the variable RPM style being used in more mid-late 2000's coaches and up. These are more of a hybrid, designed to work with the onboard EMS and many times tie in directly with the onboard inverter as well or have an inverter as part of the power generation package. On the inverter based genset the engine RPM is varied to control the voltage and frequency based on load.

This is not the style our coach has. Ours is just the standard Onan Quiet Diesel that uses an AC source generated from the quadrature windings. This AC voltage goes to the control board where it is rectified, then sent to the exciter circuit in a PWM fashion. The control board monitors the voltage and frequency and adjusts the output to the exciter circuit to the neighborhood of around 28-32 VDC.

It is basically just one step above the older technology of the separate voltage regulator and engine control modules that were more of a solid state design. Our old 1991 Beaver had a 7.5kW Onan that was this style and never gave us a seconds problem in the 7 years we owned that coach.

I can't be too awfully upset about this genset though. It has just under 3k hours on it and there were weekends when we were racing that I would fire it up Friday afternoon when we arrived at the track and didn't shut it down until Sunday evening pulling into the driveway. We don't use it any where near that amount nowadays but it still sucks to have it crap out on us.

Oh well, the new control board should be here today and I can get it back up and running for next months trip.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #129

Quote:
Van, I am surprised your 2000 has an inverter genset in it. My understanding is the inverter gensets are the variable RPM style being used in more mid-late 2000's coaches and up. These are more of a hybrid, designed to work with the onboard EMS and many times tie in directly with the onboard inverter as well or have an inverter as part of the power generation package. On the inverter based genset the engine RPM is varied to control the voltage and frequency based on load.

Mike.
Yes, mine is variable speed, inverter type. But it is not tied in to anything I'm aware of. I replaced my older 2KW MSW with a 3K PSW inverter, and did not buy the AGS option.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:36 AM   #130

Monaco Owners Club
I finally had some time last night to get my Onan 10kW genset up and running again. The new control module showed up last week but it has been a busy past week or so and haven't had time to get to it.

Here is the new Onan control module with the part number for the 10HDCAA Quiet Diesel generator.

In all honesty it is a pretty clever way of keeping the control module cooled. The module is placed inside the air intake resonator. Cool, fresh air comes into the bottom of the resonator, where the control module is housed, exits the top of the resonator and into the air cleaner then the engine.

In this picture I show the air intake resonator and the outlet on the top is where I had just removed the duct from the resonator to the air filter housing.

Resonator removed and on the toolcart.

Resonator turned over and there is the control module located inside.

Control module replaced, resonator re-installed back into position, wires zip-tied up and out the way, duct work all reconnected and ready for the housing to be reinstalled. I also fired it up at this point to confirm a successful repair prior to installing all of the covers and fasteners.

All covers reinstalled and bolted in place. Coolant reservoir reinstalled into position and ready for service.

Hopefully it will provide many, many more hours of reliable service in our coach.

Mike.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #131

Good job Mike.

If you don't care to share, did you get the board directly from Cummins/Onan or another source and what was the $$$.

Thanks for the detailed write up with pics. Mine is the 12.5KW but I'm sure it's a near twin.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #132

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Good job Mike.

If you don't care to share, did you get the board directly from Cummins/Onan or another source and what was the $$$.

Thanks for the detailed write up with pics. Mine is the 12.5KW but I'm sure it's a near twin.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Thanks Steve for the compliment and stopping by my thread. I purchased the new control module through my local Cummins/Onan dealer. The price was #744.00. I had called Flight Systems to see if they had one of their remanned control boards but it is not one that they work with. I didn't see it on their website but I thought maybe I would get lucky and it was one that they supported but maybe hadn't made it to their website yet, no such luck.

Oh well, the price of RV ownership, right?

Mike.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #133

Quote:
Thanks Steve for the compliment and stopping by my thread. I purchased the new control module through my local Cummins/Onan dealer. The price was #744.00. I had called Flight Systems to see if they had one of their remanned control boards but it is not one that they work with. I didn't see it on their website but I thought maybe I would get lucky and it was one that they supported but maybe hadn't made it to their website yet, no such luck.

Oh well, the price of RV ownership, right?

Mike.

I'm going to follow your lead on replacing the brushes this winter. I think you were wise to replace the assembly so I will go that route also. I'll be in Melbourne Beach, FL so the weather will be great for it. I replaced the belt and hoses back in the spring. My Onan has just over 2000 hours so I'm trying to catch up on those bigger chores deep in the case. It was no picnic getting to that belt.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #134

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I'm going to follow your lead on replacing the brushes this winter. I think you were wise to replace the assembly so I will go that route also. I'll be in Melbourne Beach, FL so the weather will be great for it. I replaced the belt and hoses back in the spring. My Onan has just over 2000 hours so I'm trying to catch up on those bigger chores deep in the case. It was no picnic getting to that belt.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
No it isn't. Although not a difficult task, it is definetely time consuming getting to it.

Mike.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #135

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,

Thanks for the pictures and write up. Interesting.

Come on down to Q this Jan!!

Roy
Old 10-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #136

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcb View Post
Mike,

Thanks for the pictures and write up. Interesting.

Come on down to Q this Jan!!

Roy
Thanks Roy. I really want to come and meet everyone in QZ this next January. I am just trying how to fit it into my work schedule so it doesn't short me on vacation the rest of the summer. If I can make that happen I will be there.

Mike.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #137

Monaco Owners Club
Okay last night I was able to clean up the shop and take the coach on a long test drive up and over an 8% mountain pass. I put about 65-miles on her and had the genset with all three roof A/C units running. This put a load/stress on both powerplants and confirmed my last two repairs.

I had been having a slight miss at high RPM on the last two trips. In August pulling the grade just before Ridgeway State Park in Colorado it missed a couple of times when I downshifted. Then when pulling into the campground it had an extended cranking time before firing which was something new.

Next trip to West Yellowstone it seemed fine until the wife and I pulled into a wide pullout for lunch and it took a few more revolutions to fire than normal again. Upon continuing onward up over the mountains from Ashton, ID it started missing fairly consistantly on the grades at high RPM (1900-2000 RPM). My first thought was fuel filters so I actually replaced both the primary and secondary fuel filters in the campground while we were camped in West Yellowstone. Coach fired up and ran find upon changing the filters.

When leaving West Yellowstone the first grade we hit it acted up again. I was able to back off of the throttle and the symptom would reside. I nursed it home with the goal of not working it so hard on the grades as I didn't want to starve the injection pump and damage it. Every once in a while I would get the RPM up and under a load and the sympton was still there.

Upon arriving home I decided to pull a couple of fuel lines to test for a blockage or restriction. Nothing was noted. I know the lift pump does not feed the engine after it is running like on the "B" motors but I still did not think it was the injection pump. I put the scanner on the coach and found no stored codes. I took a chance and opted to replace the lift pump seeing as how it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the injection pump and was the only item other than the filters (which were already replaced) that was between the tank and the injection pump.

I am not going to lie, changing the lift pump is not an easy task. If I was a bit "thinner" it would have been a bit easier but the lift pump is located on the side of the block and the frame rail runs right alongside with only about 8 inches or so between. On a class 8 truck this would be probably a 45-minute job to replace as it is right there in the open with the hood opened up. Stuck in the rear of a DP these things are down right a PITA to change. I had to remove it and install the new one pretty much with one hand as my right hand/arm was almost useless getting both up in there at the same time.

Total job took just over 3 hours but what a dirty, greasy 3-hour job it was.

Cummins lift pump.

Old lift pump removed and on the bench to switch over all of the fittings.

It felt like I had half my toolbox under the coach with me. What a greasy, grimy job that was. I also think I cleaned off the entire underside of my coach with my shirt on this job. The underside has never been so clean.

The tools alone took me the better part of one night to clean before putting them away.

Last night I was able to push the coach on the mountain pass and she is running great again. Problem fixed and the generator powered our A/C loads perfectly again as well.

She is ready to hit the road again.
Also upon cleaning the shop last night after the road test, I decided to dig a little deeper into the old lift pump. There is a small pressed in check valve in the lift pump housing that when air pressure was applied seemed to be a restriction. I didn't feel as though I was getting as much air out the other side as I should have when testing. The component is pressed into the housing bore and I could not remove it without damaging it. I was curious as to whether this could be enough of a restriction and be the possible cause of my high RPM miss and my two possible extended cranking issues.

Either way I think I found the problematic component and have now replaced it and ready to move on.

Mike.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:13 AM   #138

Monaco Owners Club
That is awesome Mike! Great write up!
"If I was a bit thinner"...boy can I relate. ..if my left hand still had feeling.. LOL
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #139

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
That is awesome Mike! Great write up!
"If I was a bit thinner"...boy can I relate. ..if my left hand still had feeling.. LOL
What can I say, I like to eat and my wife is an amazing cook.

Thanks for the compliment and visiting my thread.

Mike.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #140

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
What can I say, I like to eat and my wife is an amazing cook.

Thanks for the compliment and visiting my thread.

Mike.
I hate it when I get into a spot and say, "I know I used to be able to fit here. Now how do I get back out?"
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade