Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #1387
src

Hi Mike, what kind of prep did you have to do to do the welding just disconnect the battery cables and all of the ECM. would you put the ground of the welder right at the place of weld
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2021, 07:25 AM   #1388

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbluesky View Post
Nice work, it always feels good to get one more thing fixed.
Thank you and yes it does. Glad I addressed it as soon as I noticed it. Made for a relatively easy repair. I can't seem to relax leaving home knowing something isn't right and I noticed halfway through our last trip that the step was having issues. Made it hard to relax and enjoy the last part of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Mike, did you MIG that?
Yes Van, that was MIG welded. I used my smaller Miller MM211 with .023" wire rather than my larger welder with .030" wire as the square tubing is only about 14-gage steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
Hi Mike, what kind of prep did you have to do to do the welding just disconnect the battery cables and all of the ECM. would you put the ground of the welder right at the place of weld
No, I did not disconnect my ECM or my TCM. I merely turned my chassis and house power disconnects off. The key is to make absolutely certain that the welder ground clamp is placed directly next to and on the component to clean bare metal. You don't want the amperage to have to "seek" out a ground.

I appreciate all of the comments guys. Thank you.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:28 AM   #1389

Monaco Owners Club
Finished up the step on the coach Friday evening after returning home from work.

Reinstalled the powered step to the framework. Used new bolts with some anti-seize as the original 5/16" bolts were quite corroded. Then installed all four layers of plywood and then glued the rubber mat back into place and put some heavy steel blocks on it over night. Turned out great and the step is rock solid again.

Hopefully I can get another 20 years out of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	338917   Click image for larger version

Name:	step2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	338918  

Old 08-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #1390
src

thank you and thank for helping us with our old coaches
Old 08-09-2021, 03:40 PM   #1391

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
thank you and thank for helping us with our old coaches
You're welcome.

I still love seeing these older Monaco's on the road, especially when in pristine condition. Owner pride is alive and well with these coaches.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:34 PM   #1392

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Finished up the step on the coach Friday evening after returning home from work.

Reinstalled the powered step to the framework. Used new bolts with some anti-seize as the original 5/16" bolts were quite corroded. Then installed all four layers of plywood and then glued the rubber mat back into place and put some heavy steel blocks on it over night. Turned out great and the step is rock solid again.

Hopefully I can get another 20 years out of it.
Looks great, Mike! Funny enough, we just refinished our step last weekend as well. Although, minus the bit about having to reweld the mounting points .

These little fixes/projects go a long way to keeping the coaches in great shape.

Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:36 PM   #1393
src

mike one more question ready to change my coolant surge tank wondering if I should go with a steel or aluminum. the one in they is plastic leaning more towards the aluminum
Old 08-10-2021, 07:03 AM   #1394

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTL View Post
Looks great, Mike! Funny enough, we just refinished our step last weekend as well. Although, minus the bit about having to reweld the mounting points .

These little fixes/projects go a long way to keeping the coaches in great shape.

Josh
I completely agree Josh. I'm surprised when I see so many people buying used coaches from the early to mid-2000 range lately and just how much stuff either doesn't work or is missing. I can't believe as an owner that is allowed to happen with such a big outlay of money to let something go like that.

Our 2003 Dynasty has 130k miles on the clock and is 20 years old in February, everything works and the coach is turn key ready to drive cross country and back again at moments notice. I'm just surprised how many I have seen lately that people have purchased with so many issues.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:04 AM   #1395

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
mike one more question ready to change my coolant surge tank wondering if I should go with a steel or aluminum. the one in they is plastic leaning more towards the aluminum
I don' think you can go wrong with either. Actually even our plastic OEM surge tank held up for over 100k miles before I built a new one out of aluminum.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #1396
src

thank you
Old 08-10-2021, 10:53 AM   #1397

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
thank you
You're welcome.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:22 AM   #1398

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
I completely agree Josh. I'm surprised when I see so many people buying used coaches from the early to mid-2000 range lately and just how much stuff either doesn't work or is missing. I can't believe as an owner that is allowed to happen with such a big outlay of money to let something go like that.

Our 2003 Dynasty has 130k miles on the clock and is 20 years old in February, everything works and the coach is turn key ready to drive cross country and back again at moments notice. I'm just surprised how many I have seen lately that people have purchased with so many issues.
100%, Mike. Well said!

Throw some clothes and food in, and the coach is ready to roll at a moments notice.
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #1399

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTL View Post
100%, Mike. Well said!

Throw some clothes and food in, and the coach is ready to roll at a moments notice.
It's a good feeling isn't it Josh? Granted there always seems to be some little thing that needs attention, whether it be a drawer catch or visor tightened but when those little things are let go they either turn into a bigger deal when something really breaks OR the list of small items grows to the point of becoming overwhelming. That's when I've seen owners throw up their hands and sell them or just let things go and live with things being broken in their coaches.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:29 PM   #1400

Monaco Owners Club
I spent 7+ months on the road in my coach last year and I'm in the process of doing the same this year again. (Mesa, AZ is not the place for me in the summer) As most have seen on here I have had issues to fix, so you just have to stay after them and all is good. I wouldn't trade it for another because I know what I have and what it can do. As someone on here stated, "coaches are like paint shakers going down the road" So I keep an eye out for loose screws, bolts, nuts...what ever all of the time.

Tim

Tags
upgrade