Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomckeon View Post
Wonderful stuff, following thread for future additions!
Thank you. I appreciate that.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #44

Location: Where ever we park but currently in Nine Mile Falls, WA
I can't say anything but WOW as well. Great job especially on the paint!
trabuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:55 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trabuco View Post
I can't say anything but WOW as well. Great job especially on the paint!
Thank you. I appreciate that. That should at least hold me until I can afford to get the whole thing painted. I have a few more very small areas that the clear is starting to peel but hopefully I will be able to get the whole thing painted within the next year or maybe two at the most.

Mike.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:23 PM   #46

Mike,
Wow just wow!
I'm worn out following all you have done so incredibly. Great job. Safe and happy trails!
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:52 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdinatl View Post
Mike,
Wow just wow!
I'm worn out following all you have done so incredibly. Great job. Safe and happy trails!
Thank you. I appreciate that.

Mike.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:57 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
A couple of weeks ago I noticed a slight smoking of my Aqua-Hot on initial startup after it had been sitting for a while, week plus. It would clear up immediately but it bugged the hell out of me. We were just starting a week long trip and that didn't get it off on the right foot. The next morning when the burner kicked on it was perfectly clean again. I thought that was odd so I figured I would perform a service on it when I returned home. The remainder of the week long trip in Grand Teton NP was perfect.

Upon arriving home I performed the maintenance and when I removed the nozzle from the blower assembly I found it odd that I had fuel that had puddled in the area under the nozzle. I replaced the nozzle, fuel filter and cleaned the combustion chamber which actually was still very clean from the last service, barely discolored actually.

I fired the unit up and it smoked a bit upon startup which I could see due to the puddled fuel under the nozzle. It cleaned up rather quickly, within about a minute or so, and then burned perfectly clean for the remainder of the cycle.

I shut the system down and didn't run it again until our trip to Glacier NP last week. Again, first day out after it had been sitting for several weeks it smoked upon initial startup and cleaned up within a minute or so. I felt like there was an issue with fuel not being shut off completely so I ordered a fuel solenoid rebuild kit. When we arrived home the rebuild kit was awaiting us.

I replaced the components and upon removing the plunger from the solenoid valve I think I discovered the issue. At the very end of the plunger where it contacts the pintle it was indented slightly. There is not a lot of spring pressure holding this valve closed so any slight variation in the seat/pintle could potentially allow fuel to seep past.

Upon completion it fired right up and was clean upon startup. I let is sit for several days and fired it up to find it was perfectly clean upon startup, problem solved.

I should have taken pictures of the process but I am putting together a youtube video of the procedure/process.

Here are the parts in the fuel solenoid rebuild kit.

Indent at the end of the plunger. This was the cause of the leak after many years of use.

All in all a pretty easy and straight forward repair. I will post a link to the video when my son completed the editing of it.

Mike.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
I'm so doing that door piston mod. Very cool.
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrol View Post
I'm so doing that door piston mod. Very cool.
You will love this modification. My wife didn't think it was that big of a deal when I performed the mod earlier this spring but now after a summer of use she loves it.

For some reason I have a few people that when opening my coach door felt like they had to swing it open abruptly and it needed to go further than 90-degrees. It would slam against the arm and create slop as well as piss me off when the door slammed open. Now it is simply a matter of opening the latch and a slight tug and the door opens on its own.

Mike.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
The cable that runs inside the door that is supposed to "catch" the door in an open position failed so I removed it from the equation. This is a GREAT alternative to that system. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrol View Post
The cable that runs inside the door that is supposed to "catch" the door in an open position failed so I removed it from the equation. This is a GREAT alternative to that system. Thanks!
Glad to help. Post up a thread on it when you get it completed. I would love to see some pics of it and your thoughts after the fact.

Mike.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Glad to help. Post up a thread on it when you get it completed. I would love to see some pics of it and your thoughts after the fact.

Mike.
I will but my work will be no where NEAR the quality you continually produce haha. I was so very proud of myself for manufacturing my own fan shroud to replace the one that had rotted away. This was the level of fabrication I did and I was happy about it!

Old 07-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
That is nothing to be ashamed of. Having the feeling of doing something yourself is priceless and why we all try to help each other on the forum.

Mike.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
That is nothing to be ashamed of. Having the feeling of doing something yourself is priceless and why we all try to help each other on the forum.

Mike.
Amen, Mike! There have surely been posts recently advising folks not to tackle even the simplest procedures themselves...that they should consult "experts". When one realizes his own limitations, there is nothing wrong with that. But to discourage others? Some of these "I didn't know I shouldn't do it" folks have come up with some pretty clever solutions.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Amen, Mike! There have surely been posts recently advising folks not to tackle even the simplest procedures themselves...that they should consult "experts". When one realizes his own limitations, there is nothing wrong with that. But to discourage others? Some of these "I didn't know I shouldn't do it" folks have come up with some pretty clever solutions.
You nailed it Van. Believe me I have caught a lot of heat over the trailing arm modifications that I did on other sites and my youtube channel through emails. People going off because of how critical those components are and I am not certified to be making those changes. That kills me, what the hell certifications are there for this type of stuff. I guarantee my welding is at least as good if not better than the original welds on the suspension and it has been welded during manufacturing/assembly so don't tell me it can't be welded. I completely understand the importance from a safety standpoint but I have been doing this for nearly three decades.

Mike.

Tags
upgrade