Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #99

Monaco Owners Club
Amazing! You are one busy guy!
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #100

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Amazing! You are one busy guy!
Thanks. I don't always have this many items to complete after a trip but after this last trip I had to major items. I am just looking forward to completing the generator repairs now so I can go and relax next week and enjoy it.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #101

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike,

Interesting about the generator brushes. How many hours do you have on the generator? I was looking at mine (with 1800+ hours) and wonder if I'm approaching your problem.

And have you every cleaned the dust out of the generator's radiator? I'm definitely going to clean mine when we get back to AZ next month.

Chet
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
Hi Mike,

Interesting about the generator brushes. How many hours do you have on the generator? I was looking at mine (with 1800+ hours) and wonder if I'm approaching your problem.

And have you every cleaned the dust out of the generator's radiator? I'm definitely going to clean mine when we get back to AZ next month.

Chet
Chet, our genset has 2943 hours on it. I generally pull the side cover and flood water through the radiator at least once a season. I did a major cleaning on the radiator and genset when we first purchased the coach back in 2007 and then again in 2013 when I also flushed and replaced all of the coolant as well as belts, filters, T-stat and adjusted the valves. The one thing I didn't check in 2013 was the brushes so here I am. I probably should have checked them then and I wouldn't be here replacing them due to a breakdown. I HATE breakdowns. I would much rather catch things and replace/repair them prior to having issues.

Mike.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #103

Monaco Owners Club
Last night I installed my brushes in the Onan 10kW genset.

After removing the covers, you need to access the end of the generator and remove the air duct housing. This has a duct that connects to the bottom corner that blows air across the generator portion of the genset.

Remove the three screws and then the hose clamp from the duct hose.

Once the plastic end cover is out of the way you will see the duct and be looking at the bearing and brush end of the rotor and stator.

Here is the brush block or brush assembly that you will be looking at. The outermost brush is the positive and the inner one is the negative.

While you are in there take a look at the slip rings on the rotor. They should be a nice copper color but can over time develop a black "patina" look to them. These are what get corroded over time and can cause high resistance in the brush circuit. This is one of the main reasons to perform monthly or at least every other month running of the genset to keep these in proper condition. The other reason for excercising the genset it to keep moisture from building up in the windings of the stator and rotor.

New brush assembly along with the part number for a 10 HDCAA genset. You can replace the brushes only, however, over time along with heat the ceramic brush holder can become brittle as well as the springs can lose tension resulting in a degradation of spring pressure on the brushes keeping them in firm contact with the slip rings. It was about $65.00 more for the complete assembly vs. just the brushes. The new spring tension does appear to be a little greater.

When installing the new brush assembly, or the old one after replacing the brushes, install a short piece of wire through the holes of the brush block and under the brushes keeping them retained in the brush holder/assembly. By keeping the wire sticking out only about an inch on the outside, you can position the brush holder into the mounting location and the wire retaining the brushes will slightly protrude through the small hole near the rear rotor bearing housing.

Now once you have the block fastened into place using the two 6mm bolts (8MM socket) you simply remove the piece of wire and the brushes will snap against the slip rings and your are ready to reassemble the unit. Do NOT forget to remove the wire or you will be disassembling the whole thing again.

And that is all there is to replacing Onan brushes on a 10kW genset. Some of the 7.5kW Quiet Diesels are very similar but have a different end housing and actually have a small access port on the side that gains you access to the brush holder and brushes.

Mike.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #104

Mike, your talent in machining / welding is just plain awesome ! I take my hat off to you for your hard work applying your skills............looked like alot of hours at the old grindstone. I also noticed all your comments on fluid changes. Have you had your cooling system flushed ? I had mine done at 50k and it is about a 2.5 Hr process with draining rad , adding 'Restore" cleaner, which cleans entire system including heater cores , running for another hour, draining again , and then topping up with new antifreeze and additive to eliminate cylinder pitting. Its evident your a perfectionist......you probably have done this. Cheers your coach looks awesome [ the rims blow me away ]
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
Mike, your talent in machining / welding is just plain awesome ! I take my hat off to you for your hard work applying your skills............looked like alot of hours at the old grindstone. I also noticed all your comments on fluid changes. Have you had your cooling system flushed ? I had mine done at 50k and it is about a 2.5 Hr process with draining rad , adding 'Restore" cleaner, which cleans entire system including heater cores , running for another hour, draining again , and then topping up with new antifreeze and additive to eliminate cylinder pitting. Its evident your a perfectionist......you probably have done this. Cheers your coach looks awesome [ the rims blow me away ]
Yes, I have switched over to the Fleetguard's ELC several years ago.

Thank you for the compliments, especially on the welding and machining. Those are actually seconday to my main profession of being a mechanic. I am not really a weldor or machinest, I am a mechanic by trade, who taught himself to weld and machine because I didn't want to take my stuff to others for those tasks.

Mike.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #106

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Last night I installed my brushes in the Onan 10kW genset....
Mike.
Mike--How often do you replace the brushes on your Onan??

(Awesome tutorial, by the way!)
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #107

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Mike--How often do you replace the brushes on your Onan??

(Awesome tutorial, by the way!)
Thank you. This was the first time I have replaced my brushes, generator has 2943 hours on it. It was shutting down on "low output" code. I went through and tested the stator and when I messed with the brush leads it started putting out 120 VAC. I replaced the brushes and it seems fine now.

Mike.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #108

Monaco Owners Club
My order from McMaster Carr showed up last night so I hurried and machined the content restraints for my new residential refrigerator in the coach. I started with some .5" 6061 aluminum rods and machined the ends down to .350" at 1.250" in length for the small spring to slip over. I also drilled and tapped a 10-32 thread in the end .400" deep so the screw would bottom out before locking down on the Delrin, which will allow it so slide about .375".

Next up it to chuck up a piece of .750" Delrin and machine a .5" opening to slip over the aluminum rod and then machine a recess for the 10-32 stainless steel socket head capscrews.

This completed end is actually the stationary end, it measures 1.125" OAL. The countersunk hole is for the head of the stainless steel socket head capsrew.

This end will slip over the .5" rod.

Here I am machining the spring loaded end. This will also be a little longer, 2.25" OAL. I am just using a .250" two-fluted end mill in the tailstock to countersink for the bolt head to float in.

Here are the components that make up the spring loaded end.

Five of each end completed and awaiting the rods.

Machining the spring area of the other rods and drilling/tapping the screw thread in each end.

Three of them completed.

One of them completed and installed.

It was late last night but I completed three of them. I have enough for two more but I will complete them after we return from our test trip, just in case I need to make any "adjustments". Thanks again Van for the idea.

Mike.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #109

Monaco Owners Club
Nice work! I love seeing that lathe spinning.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:28 PM   #110

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcb View Post
Nice work! I love seeing that lathe spinning.
Thanks, me too. I stood at it for a few hours last night watching it spin.

Mike.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #111

Monaco Owners Club
WOW - Industrial quality !

and all I got was three little plastic pieces from amazon
Old 09-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #112

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
WOW - Industrial quality !

and all I got was three little plastic pieces from amazon
Thanks. I just had to make something that had that KOOL factor.

I hope the wife likes it, she hasn't seen what I was out in the shop working on so late on last night.

Mike.

Tags
upgrade