Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2022, 06:39 AM   #1527

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
I agree Mike. When we first got our coach I thought we’d do a lot of boondocking, as we did back in the 80s with our TT. I considered buying better batteries, but glad I didn’t. I found out the DW has changed. She likes her full hookups.

The LA batts are cheap and function well. I add water a couple times a year and keep the terminals clean. I’ve yet to have any problems with acid build up or bulging. If they go bad, they’re cheap to replace.

Sorry Paul. Just saw your post. Sounds like we have had similar experiences.

Thanks for stopping by.
zmotorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2022, 06:44 AM   #1528

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH299 View Post
Sorry Mike.... this thread is one of my favorites. I have been inactive, but when I see your thread at the top of the page I always click on it. Did not mean to hijack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
X2, I always look for zmotorsports, and so do many others.
A few posts back when it sort of went off the rails I noticed
down the page that 21 people were on this thread at that time.
That's a lot of people on at one time or so it seems to me.

Sometimes these threads take on a life of their own, and that's not always a good thing, but it is interesting at times.

Keep it coming Mike we enjoy it.
Tim, I really enjoyed your great project too.

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
My apologies Mike. Never meant to offend anyone. I won't ever mention batteries again... Lol. Love the thread... Even the smallest things you post are interesting.
No worries guys. It's not a big deal and not hijacking.

Larry, no need to apologize, you just asked a question and that is how we all learn, myself included. I don't know everything and surely don't have all the answers, I just know what works for me but I'm just as interested in why others make the choices they do. That's how we all learn.

I appreciate you guys keeping my thread alive actually because I don't do mods or repairs that frequently so by asking questions it keeps this thread relevant and with as many people that appear to be purchasing early to mid-2000's Monaco's lately it may help others to keep these great coaches on the road for many years to come.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:56 AM   #1529

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
LOL!

Mike, I'll bet you never pictured your Mod / Upgrade thread turning into a massive AGM battery debate !
Thank goodness he didn't mention Lithium! There's no coming back from that...
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:19 AM   #1530

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip2084 View Post
I have long thought of going lithium in my drag car but after reading a few stories of spontaneous fires caused by them I decided against them. I'm pretty sure that's the batteries of the future but the technology is just not that safe yet. My opinion only from what I have read.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:09 AM   #1531

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yeah, I hear ya!

Recently watched a youtube video where a young couple installed 3 large lithium batteries inside their bedbox of their TT.

Don't know how well I'd sleep with them right under my butt!
Old 03-24-2022, 11:35 AM   #1532
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've been following this thread for a long time. Great info!

Please excuse my interruption. (I will explain why at the bottom.)

Regarding "lithium" batteries, I would like to add some comments. Disclaimer: I am not a battery expert.

There are different types of lithium battery chemistries. According to Batteryuniversity.com, there are 6 lithium batteries that are the most common. I've taken some excerpts from their article to highlight one of the characteristics of each type that is of great importance/concern to me when using these in an RV. That is, "thermal runaway" or the propensity to catch fire. None of these batteries are expected to "spontaneously combust" in normal conditions. However, if they are overcharged, some of them can have some serious issues.

For more info, feel free to follow the link to their article: https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...of-lithium-ion

Quote:
Lithium Cobalt Oxide(LiCoO2) — LCO
Thermal runaway 150°C (302°F). Full charge promotes thermal runaway

Lithium Manganese Oxide (LiMn2O4) — LMO
Thermal runaway 250°C (482°F) typical. High charge promotes thermal runaway

Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide (LiNiMnCoO2) — NMC
Thermal runaway 210°C (410°F) typical. High charge promotes thermal runaway

Lithium Iron Phosphate(LiFePO4) — LFP
Thermal runaway 270°C (518°F) Very safe battery even if fully charged

Lithium Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide (LiNiCoAlO2) — NCA
Thermal runaway 150°C (302°F) typical, High charge promotes thermal runaway

Lithium Titanate (Li2TiO3) — LTO
Thermal runaway One of safest Li-ion batteries
Personally, I am adding LiFePO4 batteries to my motorhome as part of an electrical storage and solar upgrade. I am constructing my own 48V battery bank from 3.V 280AH LiFePO4 cells. Each battery will have its own BMS (Battery Management System), fuses, etc.

Commercially available LiFePO4 batteries, such as those offered by Battleborn, include their own BMS, etc.

Several points I am trying to make:

1) Please do not dismiss ALL types of lithium batteries because of the shortcomings of some.

2) Lithium batteries may or may not be practical for your particular application. There are a number of factors to be considered when contemplating a change from Lead Acid (Wet, Sealed, or AGM). They are not really a "drop-in replacement" battery for Lead Acid. They have different charging requirements. They are typically more expensive. They are lighter weight per a given amount of power storage. They can be deep discharged (up to almost 100%) without damage as opposed to Lead Acid (they prefer only 50% discharge). They do not need to be recharged up to 100% every time. They can be recharged much faster than Lead Acid. I am sure there are more factors. I am not attempting to be completely thorough. I am not a battery expert.

3) If your RV usage typically means being connected to shore power at a campground, then the added costs associated with a more expensive battery may not be worthwhile.

4) Would I want to sleep over ANY BATTERY? No. However, in my coach the bed is over the main diesel engine, so that is not an issue. There is not enough room for a nice set of batteries. I will note that Fleetwood put the electrical distribution panels (both AC and DC load centers) under the bed. During our current remodel, I will be replacing the load centers with up-to-date equipment and relocating them away from the bedroom. My LiFePO4 batteries will be going in the enclosed basement. This location will protect them from extreme temperatures and outside weather elements.

OK, Mike. Thanks in advance for my interruption. Why did I want to add this post?

A few years ago I thought that all lithium batteries were the same: dangerous.

I have learned much since. I just wanted to share.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:13 AM   #1533

I’ve had the same set of 4 75AH LiFePO4’s for six years on my 2003 Dynasty and my current 2007. Also had one on my 2003 Yamaha FJR1300. Haven’t had any catch fire yet.
Grace & Carl. Full time 5/31/16. Past-1980-ish 24 ft class A. 2003 Monaco Dynasty 40 Chancellor, 2010 Mini Cooper S, both CRASHED on 11/19 Now - 2006 Monaco Dynasty Platinum IV, 2011 Mini Cooper S CRASHED November 11/21 deer strike. 2016 GMC Acadia.
Pepperell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:12 AM   #1534

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip2084 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
I have long thought of going lithium in my drag car but after reading a few stories of spontaneous fires caused by them I decided against them. I'm pretty sure that's the batteries of the future but the technology is just not that safe yet. My opinion only from what I have read.
Well that is a pretty specialized use-case. You pretty much expect the car to burst into flames at some point. lol.

I have to confess that today I am installing my self-assembled Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery into my rig. Just starting out with 280Ah, going to install it right next to the inverter/converter in the utility bay. Need to rewire a bunch of stuff in the rear electrical panel to remove the old battery isolator, add a new DC-DC converter, and account for the House battery move.

As stated by the previous poster, LiFeP04 batteries are very safe and ideal for RV applications since they allow 100% use of capacity without negative deterioration and thousands of cycles of use (aka should last forever) without maintenance (no water to monitor) and can be installed anywhere since they don't leak or off-gas.
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:39 PM   #1535

Mike , I like the video you did on your fass system. I what to install the system on a 07 Monaco with the 8.9 400hp Cummins, where would you install the feed line and do you need remove lift pump behind cooling plate
DBWELLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:18 AM   #1536

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBWELLS View Post
Mike , I like the video you did on your fass system. I what to install the system on a 07 Monaco with the 8.9 400hp Cummins, where would you install the feed line and do you need remove lift pump behind cooling plate
Thanks for watching the video.

Your 2006/2007 model year Cummins ISL will actually have a HPCR (High Pressure Common Rail) fuel system which is different than my CAPS system so you will have to follow the lines to see where your lift pump connections are. I know on the ISL of your vintage the ECM also attached to the cooling plate so you will want to continue the flow of fuel through that to cool the ECM.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:57 PM   #1537

Monaco Owners Club
Here are a few pictures of last week's trip to Wyoming.

Parked in Worland RV Park for 5 days exploring the Absoroka and Big Horn Mountains in the area. Went to Kirwin and Gebo ghost towns and then over Togwotee Pass (9500'+) and dropped into Moran Junction in Teton NP.

Then gave the ole' girl a wash job yesterday to get the bugs off as well as some dirt from a couple of thunderstorms. I should sent Wyoming a bill for bug abatement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wy34.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	371362   Click image for larger version

Name:	wy35.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	371363  

Click image for larger version

Name:	wy36.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	371364   Click image for larger version

Name:	wash2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	371365  

Old 07-18-2022, 07:20 PM   #1538

My daughter is down in Bozeman. Some high mountains Southeast of there. Majestic country isn't it.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 07:01 AM   #1539

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
My daughter is down in Bozeman. Some high mountains Southeast of there. Majestic country isn't it.
It sure is. We've been through the Teton's many, many times over the years including snowmobiling years ago but this is the first time we came in from the east side and through Dubois. I REALLY liked this route and see us doing it again in the future as the wife is already wanting to return to the Worland area for more exploring.

One of my favorite drives is between Bozeman and West Yellowstone along the Gallatin river. That is a very scenic drive.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:15 PM   #1540

I usually take that rd on the way north if I'm stopping to see my kid. Amazing how flat the drive is all the way from the 15 in Idaho. Still leaves me homestake pass to get over on the way home.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade