Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2020, 08:22 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Moisture under mattress.....

I did my sheets the other day and noticed something odd.....moisture under my mattress!

I had replaced the mattress with a nice foam one just a couple of months ago. The bottom of the mattress has plastic on it.

Under the wood is the access point for the engine. Could this be some kind of condensation from body heat?

...and no....I'm not a candidate for the rubber sheet brigade. At least, not yet

I did have a thought earlier that it might be an idea to put some round vents in the sides of the engine compartment box for ventilation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201206_191606.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	310520  
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
It's probably condensation from the temperature difference from engine compartment to inside. The plastic will draw moisture too. Check that all insulation is in place in the engine compartment.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
That's what I was guessing. So, in theory, if I put vents in the side of the box it should bring the temperature of the engine compartment to the same as the interior.

I will try it - thanks for the thoughts
Old 12-06-2020, 11:32 PM   #4

On our earlier rigs, we found moisture under the mattress several times.
Leaving for the day, we opened all the windows, propped the mattress up, and set the mobile fan to blow at the underside of the mattress.

With that amount of standing water soaking out from the mattress, we were concerned about mold.

2003, we converted a 1997 Ford CF8000 commercial truck into our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
I built the bed-frame with 'expanded' aluminum as the support for the mattress.
This stuff looks like a heavy window-screen, and is designed for steps and over-head walk-ways.
With a couple-three cross-members, our mattress has plenty of support... and plenty of ventilation.

To increase your under-mattress ventilation without re-engineering the whole shootin' match, could you set it on several sections of scrubber pads used by janitors on their floor-polishing machines?
The open weave is uncrushable; I see these at Cash-n-Carry commercial grocery.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:06 AM   #5

It's just condensation, they make these rubber slated pads that you can put under the mattress to fix it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHJRDDG...ogi&th=1&psc=1

Totally easy fix just make sure to dry the area well before putting the mattress back.
coteyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:55 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You guys are awesome!

I was a bit concerned because I had never seen that before. To make it more interesting, my mom had bought me a new down comforter. It's really warm and many times I woke up sweating. So when I saw the moisture under the mattress I was like, you've got to be kidding me?

I drilled (9) 1" holes into the lower housing of the bed. So those holes lead directly into the engine lid compartment. I wanted airflow through their anyway because I had a blanket in their that started to smell pretty stale and a little moldy.

I don't know if that will be sufficient but it should get the temperature even. If not, then I will put something under the mattress as you both suggested. I'm thinking ventilating that box is something that should have been done from the factory.

These are the stainless vent covers that will go over the holes when they arrive.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:43 PM   #7

Running your a/c with mattress propped up will also dry it out.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #8

We swapped the OEM mattress for a Tempur-Pedic Mattress
Notice condensation underneath one day when I was looking in the bed storage compartment

Bought an Egg Crate Pad...put it under the mattress.
No more condensation issues

$16/17 for Queen Size
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:09 PM   #9

Very common on boats.
I would not ventbto outside or eng compartment. Answer is spacers under mattress that let it breath with inside air.
There are spacers meant for this or look at dri-deck plastic " tiles" that connect yogether and provide sir space to breathe
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I would not ventbto outside or eng compartment.
+1

Are you talking about venting between the engine compartment and the living area? You might find that, if you open a window while driving, you're drawing noise and smell and carbon monoxide into the living area. Plus, you'd be weakening the already-weak plywood firewall protection.

(Reading everything again, you may be speaking only of making openings between the living space and the compartment on top of the engine access cover, in which case, sorry, ignore me.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:11 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
+1

Are you talking about venting between the engine compartment and the living area? You might find that, if you open a window while driving, you're drawing noise and smell and carbon monoxide into the living area. Plus, you'd be weakening the already-weak plywood firewall protection.

(Reading everything again, you may be speaking only of making openings between the living space and the compartment on top of the engine access cover, in which case, sorry, ignore me.)
Yeah, I wasn't clear on that. I'm talking about venting the box under the bed. Not the actual engine compartment. I found that the air under there was getting stale and anything under there would tend to mold. So, for that reason only, I knew a while back I should vent it so that it got airflow.

I will have to make sure the rest of the compartment is sealed though.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:32 AM   #12

Might check out the 'Froli Mattress System'. They're a little pricey, but are used extensively on motor yachts and sailboats.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:52 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
We swapped the OEM mattress for a Tempur-Pedic Mattress
Notice condensation underneath one day when I was looking in the bed storage compartment

Bought an Egg Crate Pad...put it under the mattress.
No more condensation issues

$16/17 for Queen Size
Do you know where you got that or what it's actually called?

I can't seem to find anything reasonable for under the foam mattress. It seems most people are addressing it by putting Hypervent under it. Up here it looks like it's the same price as the mattress - $300

If the issue is actually caused by a temperature differential between the cold air of the engine compartment and the warmer bottom of the foam mattress I'm thinking that perhaps I should be focusing on bringing the engine compartment up to the same temperature of the room by means of vents.

I had drilled (9) 1" holes around the compartment but am now wondering if that it enough. Perhaps what it needs is 3 floor registers put in it.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #14

Wonder if Dyna-Mat insulation would work better under bed area, would also be a great sound deadener.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress, moisture