Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2014, 07:11 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco 2002 Signature 43 ft. driver slide issues

Good morning. We have a 2002 Monaco Signature Supreme 43 ft with 2 slides. The large drivers side slide always gives me concern. It will start to open and then stop. I will have to wait a few seconds and than try it again. Then it will start again. It does the same thing on the retraction. It always bothers me as to will it open and or close. I have changed the wall switch and this helped for a long time. I am now wondering if I have a motor going out. Any advise please. Anyone experiencing this problem? Where is that motor located if someone could advise.
Texstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you know the manufacturer of the slide system. Sounds like you may have a loose connection.

On my 2002 Windsor the two slides are RVA systems. On my front slide the electric motor is located under the slide in the basement compartment, about in the middle of the slide. There is a guide rail there that has gear teeth on top that the motor mates to. You almost have to lay on the ground to see.

The motor has a 12 volt circuit and uses a quick connect connector. You may pull this apart and reconnect to see if it clears up your problem.

Each basement door also has a plunger type switch insures it is closed, you try to unplug and replug the connector together.

The control circuit for both slides on my Windsor is in the rear run electrical bay, it is a small circuit board that has some relays on it. Unplug and replug each relay. There are also a couple wiring harnesses to unplug and replug.

Good luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #3

It is a HWH Slide System. The question is if any of the other slides have the same problem and when that happens and you have your finger pushing the switch do you still hear the pump running under the front step?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texstr View Post
Good morning. We have a 2002 Monaco Signature Supreme 43 ft with 2 slides. The large drivers side slide always gives me concern. It will start to open and then stop. I will have to wait a few seconds and than try it again. Then it will start again. It does the same thing on the retraction. It always bothers me as to will it open and or close. I have changed the wall switch and this helped for a long time. I am now wondering if I have a motor going out. Any advise please. Anyone experiencing this problem? Where is that motor located if someone could advise.

Is this an HWH system? I'm guessing the bed slide is electric. How about the generator slide. It's on the same system if HWH.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
It is a HWH Slide System. The question is if any of the other slides have the same problem and when that happens and you have your finger pushing the switch do you still hear the pump running under the front step?
Thank you everyone. It is a HWH slide on the front. The back one I believe to be all electric and works fine. Everyone of your suggestions from the responses are great and truly appreciated. No, when it stops and I push the switch. I do not hear anything. A couple of minutes later I can push the button and it will continue coming in or going out. It does have a new switch installed about a year ago. I will begin to start checking all connections. Sometimes it works perfect, than the next time you never know. Scares me everytime.
Texstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Thank you everyone. It is a HWH slide on the front. The back one I believe to be all electric and works fine. Everyone of your suggestions from the responses are great and truly appreciated. No, when it stops and I push the switch. I do not hear anything. A couple of minutes later I can push the button and it will continue coming in or going out. It does have a new switch installed about a year ago. I will begin to start checking all connections. Sometimes it works perfect, than the next time you never know. Scares me everytime.

The HWH system also operates the generator slide. If it always operates properly then the problem most likely resides with the switch or the wiring harness between the switch and the solenoid that sits on top of the electric motor that drives the pump.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Do you know if is hyd or gear driven. My 03 dynasty has hyd I will be on your end of the valley next week if you need someone to look. I have to go up to ware road north of nolana. Don 612 327 4675
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Monaco 2002 Signature 43 ft. driver slide issues

If your cargo door under the slide opens upwards adjust the lock nut on the hinge so it opens only to 90 degrees (so if it's open the slide can't catch it. Then Jumper the cargo door switch with a short wire with 1/4" male spade connectors on each end. Sounds like you may have a bad plunger on the cargo door safety switch. If the 12v positive cannot get through the door plunger safety switch there will be no power at the slide switch.
They like to be intermittent.

Maybe take the switch off and check it for continuity. Careful taking it off and tape or make a jumper for the ends. They have 12v positive running through them and will spark if contacted with the metal bracket.
Next time it stops try to run the genny out. That will rule out the pump/pump relay since the genny hydraulic slide uses the same motor as the living room hydraulic slide.

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Have you checked the level in the hydraulic fluid reservoir? My front slide started to hesitate and it turned out that the reservoir was very low. I filled it per the HWH instructions and no more hesitation, and it is much quieter in operation than it has been. The reservoir in my coach is located behind the right front wheel, but ours is a mid-entry coach so yours may be in a different location.

Cheers,
Old 12-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Texstr....your switch hesitation sounds like a spade connector on a relay or motor may be loose and barely touching and jumping spark across the connection. That was what happened to me shortly after buying our Dynasty. Slide worked and then it didn't. Checked everything in the loop and all was good until I pulled the slide lock out relay on the rear elect bay (pass side) yours is different due to tag axle. (engine bay I think) The relay appeared all hooked up on the board until I unscrewed it from the board. The rear connection was barely touching the spade...hooked it up and all was well. I'm not positive the slide lock out relay also affects the HWH slide or just the bedroom elect slide.....Just a thought...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, monaco, slide