Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #1

Monaco, Beaver, HR any major difference

We are planning on upgrading from our '04 37' Coachmen DP. But, only for the right MH. I have had the Coachmen for 9 yrs and it has been almost trouble free. I posted questions about the 40PAQ floor plan, which we really like and is what we'll look for. I

I have learned that Monaco, Beaver and Holiday Rambler have all featured that floor plan. That said, is there any reason to choose one of the brands over the other? I know they are all nice MHs but I would like some input from the people who own them, have owned them or didn't buy one for whatever reason.

Another thing is the model pecking order for HR and Beaver. I think I have a handle on the Monaco trim levels.

I also am considering an Alpine Coach if I found the right one, any thoughts?

Thanks, Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #2

I'm sure it depend on the period of manufacture. When our '06 Dynasty was in production, we toured the factory in Coburg. It was an impressive line, and we were surprised to see Monaco, Beaver and Holiday coaches randomly mixed in the line, as well as the levels of coaches in each series. At a given stop, the same guys were using the same tools to perform the same tasks, regardless of the make or model of the coach. There were pretty major differences in the materials used in terms of walls, cabinetry, flooring, hardware, fasteners, technology, options, systems, chassis, engines, and so on, but the talent doing the work was the same across the board. I don't remember seeing Safari on the line at that time, but they may well have been there. That was in August of 2005. So by far the biggest differences will be primarily related to where a particular coach lived in the lineup at that time, and what options were chosen our purchased, more than the "make" of the coach. "Model" is where the huge differences will be. (By model, I mean Signature vs Knight, for example.)

Good luck in your searchings.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You don't say what year coach you're looking for. The earlier Beaver coaches were better built quality wise just after Monaco took over and provided the roadmaster chassis, replacing freightliner. Better details and woodwork. You would have to keep the early years' 99-02.
woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
For the most part there are equal models across brand lines. For instance the Monaco Executive, Holiday Rambler Navigator and Beaver Patriot Thunder are basically equivalent models.

For each model there are small distinguishing features that are available on one model and not the other, such as the fancier woodwork of the beaver is not available on the Monaco or HR. Also, each model, within each brand may have different options that may not be available across brands. For instance I have the cummins 600 ISX on my Navigator but this was not an available option in 2008 for the Monaco Executive, standard was the 525.

Another item to consider is each model has had a variety of different engine brands. So if you are a fan of Cummins you need to consider this, or whatever brand engine you prefer. There are years and different models that had Cummins, Detroit D or CAT. For instance some years the HR Navigator had DD, other years CAT and others Cummins.

Floor plans do vary across brand a bit but most seem to offer lots of similar choices across brands with each model line.

All in all each brand, within a model line, are fairly similar in quality, amenities and price. Each brand within a model line will have the same chassis, sans the engine.

Stuart
Old 01-11-2015, 06:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco Knight

We have been living full time for the last year in 06 Monaco Knight - No problems with the quality of the drive train or the interior. everything is good to go.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:16 AM   #6

Once Monaco bought HR, Safari and Beaver, they are all pretty close with differences in trim mostly. I think they struggled a bit to try a present different products to their customers. And oh by the way, Safari and Beaver had a Magnum chassis.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #7

I neglected to mention that I'll be looking in the 04-08 range. I believe this is the time frame the PAQ was made. Monaco, Beaver and HR all had this plan so I'll be looking at all three. Sounds like I can pick the one with the one we like the best and be happy with it.

I currently have a Cummins and I'm happy with it. Am I correct in assuming that Cat and DD are as reliable and trouble free?

Any advantage to Roadmaster or Magnum chassis.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill767 View Post
Once Monaco bought HR, Safari and Beaver, they are all pretty close with differences in trim mostly. I think they struggled a bit to try a present different products to their customers. And oh by the way, Safari and Beaver had a Magnum chassis.
Not so. Mine is on a Roadmaster RR8R.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #9

It was mentioned in another post that Beaver and Safari switched from Freightliner to Roadmaster, not so they switched from Magnum. After Monaco took the reins they were all Roadmaster.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:51 PM   #10

I am just stunned about the misinformation on Beaver chassis construction. When we took a factory tour of Beaver Motorhomes in Bend, OR in the spring of 2005 all Beaver models were manufactured at that plant on the Magnum chassis. As long as construction continued at Bend they were all constructed on the Magnum chassis. Yes, this chassis was rebranded to Monaco "M" chassis, but it was still the Magnum chassis.

When Monaco finally closed the Beaver plant and moved assembly locations, the Santiam assembly was moved to Indiana (where they used the equivalent Monaco chassis) and the Patriot/Marquis production moved to Colburg where they used the appropriate Monaco "S" chassis.

The Magnum chassis was actually built in Harrisburg and transported to Bend for assembly. You never got to see any chassis assembly when you toured the Beaver assembly plant.

And yes, I found a VIN decode site that lists my 1RF.. VIN as a Roadmaster Rail Magnum B chassis. But, to call this chassis a Roadmaster when you have seen the real Roadmaster chassis is a stretch.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
You don't say what year coach you're looking for. The earlier Beaver coaches were better built quality wise just after Monaco took over and provided the roadmaster chassis, replacing freightliner. Better details and woodwork. You would have to keep the early years' 99-02.
I don't think Beaver was ever on a Freightliner chassis. They had their own proprietary Magnum chassis, later changed to Roadmaster after Monaco moved production from Bend to Coburg.

The differences between the models you are considering are not major. Condition and price will be much more important than whether Beaver, HR or Monaco.

There were some problems with the Cat engines and I personally would not buy one with Cat power.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I don't think Beaver was ever on a Freightliner chassis. They had their own proprietary Magnum chassis, later changed to Roadmaster after Monaco moved production from Bend to Coburg.

The differences between the models you are considering are not major. Condition and price will be much more important than whether Beaver, HR or Monaco.

There were some problems with the Cat engines and I personally would not buy one with Cat power.
I used to say the same thing because I only had Cummins and listened to what all the Cummins owners said about CAT. That is......until I bought a coach with a CAT engine and started reading all the problems Cummins owners have had. I have heard about the CAT C7 having issues, but that's pretty much the only one I've heard much about. My CAT 3126B runs flawless and strong.

I think you can generalize about almost anything having a problem, Including Cummins.

As to fit and finish...Beavers have always been known to be built as an upper end coach. Monaco acquired Beaver to have access to their superior cabinetry division. Some of the other noted things about Beavers are that they have fully upholstered interiors. No paneling or wallpaper. They also came with Girrard power awnings. These are only a few of the things I know set Beavers above others.

Just my opinion.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Let me see if I can outline the Holiday Rambler and Beaver models...I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

If you are looking at a 40PAQ, this could be either a Diplomat or Endeavor in the lower level then the next level up would be the Camelot and Scepter. I'm not sure where the Beaver Santiam would fall (somewhere in between I think). In 2007 and up the Beaver Contessa, Camelot and Scepter are the same coach (for the most part but the Beaver had the Cat engine) but I don't believe the Contessa had anything like the 40PAQ in 2007 and up.

The next level might be the Imperial and Windsor but nothing like the PAQ in that level for Beaver that I'm aware of.

I think the Alpine Coach is a great coach too. I know they have a very large curbside window in one of the floor plans that makes it feel very roomy. The Limited models even have power slide out storage bays called Smartbeds. I think the Alpines would compare to the Camelot, Scepter, and Contessa.

Terry, as you can see there can be a strong prejudice toward mfrs, engines, side radiator vs rear, and chassis but at this level, I don't think you are going to find one that is waaaaay better than the other. All but the Diplomat and Endeavor will most likely have air leveling (in place of or including hydraulic) Aqua Hot, and side radiator. I would be more concerned with finding the coach that gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling and then make sure it has been well cared for.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #14

Thanks to all of you for the input. I guess the search will begin. I am fortunate that the MH I have suits our needs, we still like, not love, it and it is trouble free. I have no reason to rush into anything and I will opt for the coach that looks to be the best cared for in our price range.

FWIW, the MH I have at the moment is an '04 Coachmen. It's an entry level DP, Freightliner chassis and 300 Cummins. It has been basically trouble free for nine yrs. There are a lot of differing opinions out there about Coachmen and I have read some disparaging remarks. It's not fancy, but it very serviceable and comfortable and I would buy Coachmen again if they had the floor plan we're looking for. That said, the only problems I've had were Freightliner problems and were all fixed under warranty. But, I am getting older and the higher end fit, finish and comfort are very appealing features.

Thanks again, Terry

Tags
beaver, monaco