Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #1

Monaco Camelot ?

Would you buy a Monaco Camelot with the Cummins 400 and the history of Monaco windshield issues?
Mustanghoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 07, 42' Camelot with 70,000 miles & have no windshield issues --I have air leveling,but some with hydraulic jacks have had some problems with the 3 point system twisting the front & poping the windshield -- I`m also carefull about going over curbs & such that may twist the coach -- William Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2008 36 PDQ and LOVE IT!
400 Cummins is a great power plant.
Yes, I do have a crack in the upper drivers side window, but that was my fault. I crossed a speed bump at an angle and it twisted the frame. My bad.
We have hydraulic jacks, but I do not use the automatic level. I always level manually. Back first, then side to side with the back jacks, then I drop the front jack and level front to back. Works for me.
No problems.
Good luck,
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a 2007 Camelot 42PDQ and love it, no windshield issues. We also have air leveling.
bgbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
Yes, I do have a crack in the upper drivers side window, but that was my fault. I crossed a speed bump at an angle and it twisted the frame. My bad.
We have hydraulic jacks, but I do not use the automatic level. I always level manually. Back first, then side to side with the back jacks, then I drop the front jack and level front to back. Works for me.
No problems.
Good luck,
Mike
My user manual says to lower the front (center) jack first. This creates a pivot point to eliminate the chassis twisting. Then drop the rear jacks and level side-to-side and finally adjust the front for front-rear level.
I can see where raising the rear end and levelling side-to-side could cause twisting particularly as I have already dumped the airbags by then.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
You're right Chris.
I had posted it backwards.
Front down to touch the ground, then a little more for a pivot, then back and side to side.
CRS kicking.
Mike
Old 04-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
No problems.
Good luck,
Mike
Wait?...what?..you cracked your windshield going over a speed bump?..I'm guessing that my coach and yours are pretty much the same. Do you have the rubber gasket/seal around your windshield also? If so, should I be worried about this?...I have air leveling so the 3 point jacks isn't an issue for me but I do go over speed bumps and up and down driveways at an angle quite a bit so as not to drag the front or rear.....
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #8

Is the windshield cracking issue only known to happen with one piece windshields?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We full time in a 2009 Camelot with the 425 Cummins. Both have worked well for us. The Cummins is so quiet back there it almost feels like an electric RV!

Never had any windshield problems (air leveling) and have been on some crazy angles. I try to avoid them, but sometime (like where I am now: a huge speed bump in the middle of a curve!) you can't avoid irregularities.
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I've got an 2006 38PDQ with 3 point hydraulic leveling. I just drain the air bags and auto level it. The front single comes down first then the rears. Generally, I've noticed that it gets it fore/aft level first then the rears move to solve left/right to do the final level. It doesn’t seem to put a lot of stress on the frame. I hear more creaking when I am draining the airbags as it settles off of them.
Love the motor. It does a great job with my size coach towing our Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
Don_SueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tankcj:
Yes, going over a speed bump at an angle. I wasn't paying attention and when the rears crossed the bump at slightly different times, it twisted the frame, cracked the upper left corner on the inboard lite of the laminated windshield. Yes, it is set in the rubber gasket.
It also threw all the clothes on hangers in the rear closet on the floor.
I knew better, but was not paying attention at that exact moment.
Always, always, always cross speed bumps at an exact perpendicular to the bump.
And cross VERY slowly.
Mike
Old 04-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #12

I don't know where the OP got his information re a windshield issue. There is no issue! We have an 08 Dynasty and the windshield is still original. All class A's are subject to windshield damage if the driver throws caution to the wind. We cross some crazy speed bumps in Mexico and have zero problems.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I didn't know that Monaco had windshield issues.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #14

Monaco Camelot ?

I back our 2008 Camelot into the driveway all the time with an angle at least as bad as speed bumps. I do have to manually air up the chassis bags to max so the receiver hitch does not drag. Not sure if it is related but we also have a bad wind noise any time there is a cross wind. It seems to come from upper corners of windshield but only in cross wind.
StuckySB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco