Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2008, 03:33 AM   #1

When reading any brand specific RV forum you have to be careful that just because you see a few posts where a ceratin model has a problem this is not indicative of a problem with all the units. However I see many posts where the same problem occurs repeatedly in similar units. These are not isolated incidents but an indication that Monaco does not appear to ever change a poorly designed part or a badly executed installation. Just a few examples are: the ridiculous dash stereo, fuel senders that dont work, door retainers that do not retain, roof seams that deteriorate in less than one year and rough riding models. One would think that after Monaco pays out warranty on some of these items continuously that a bell would ring!! " Maybe we have a problem". I can understand a few units having these problems when the models were newly introduced but to keep making the same mistakes does not make sense. This is not only an economic mistake it does nothing for customer loyalty. Are they so arrogant that no one cares? We have been fortunate that most of these problems have not affected our unit other than the bad radio, the door retainer and possibly the fuel guage. We love our unit and overall the quality appears to be better than most. However potential buyers read these forums and cross Monaco off their list. I have even noticed a lot of negative posts on RV.Net concerning Monaco products. Lots of complainers on the Yahoo forums as well. The internet is a powerful force and Monaco's refusal to act could end up being their downfall. With MH sales being so low this is the time to try and steal customers from other brands not scare them away. Is Monaco becoming Alfa ( G-d forbid!) Comments anyone??
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2008, 03:33 AM   #2

When reading any brand specific RV forum you have to be careful that just because you see a few posts where a ceratin model has a problem this is not indicative of a problem with all the units. However I see many posts where the same problem occurs repeatedly in similar units. These are not isolated incidents but an indication that Monaco does not appear to ever change a poorly designed part or a badly executed installation. Just a few examples are: the ridiculous dash stereo, fuel senders that dont work, door retainers that do not retain, roof seams that deteriorate in less than one year and rough riding models. One would think that after Monaco pays out warranty on some of these items continuously that a bell would ring!! " Maybe we have a problem". I can understand a few units having these problems when the models were newly introduced but to keep making the same mistakes does not make sense. This is not only an economic mistake it does nothing for customer loyalty. Are they so arrogant that no one cares? We have been fortunate that most of these problems have not affected our unit other than the bad radio, the door retainer and possibly the fuel guage. We love our unit and overall the quality appears to be better than most. However potential buyers read these forums and cross Monaco off their list. I have even noticed a lot of negative posts on RV.Net concerning Monaco products. Lots of complainers on the Yahoo forums as well. The internet is a powerful force and Monaco's refusal to act could end up being their downfall. With MH sales being so low this is the time to try and steal customers from other brands not scare them away. Is Monaco becoming Alfa ( G-d forbid!) Comments anyone??
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 12-19-2008, 04:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Moisheh,

Monaco does have its share of problems, but your statement that they don't do anything about changing a design etc. has not been my experience/observation. A couple of cases in point:[LIST] <LI> I have a 2009 Camelot and based on my reading of the forum noted problems Monaco changed the front window from a wrap around pana-view to a less exaggerated wrap around (same as the Signature). This was to correct the cracked windows that were showing up on the 2006-2008 models. <LI>They changed the dash radio so it is not the DVD player as well as the CD player. I have a entertainment center receiver, amp and DVD/CD player in the curbside upper cabinet( new for the 2009 Camelot). I am very pleased with the dash radio. <LI> The engine compartment door now has louver vents to help dissipate the heat buildup that many have complained about. <LI>I have not experienced the ride problem that some have had, but I was coming out of a 1999 Pace Arrow on a Ford F53 chassis and the ride was very, very rough. So the ride on my Camelot seems heavenly and I am probably not a good person to make an evaluation. However, I do know that the highways in this country have gone to hell in a hand basket.

So I have seen changes made to address some of the problems. Could they be better--absolutely, but they seem to be trying.

2009 Camelot QDP 40ft.
Duffy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I have experienced some of the problems with my coach that you have outlined in your post. The door retainer was a joke and was replaced by Monaco. The tech told me Monaco had recognized the defect and had gone to a different model. My fuel gauge was off by more than a third of a tank but was adjusted by a Monaco tech at the Diamond Hill facility and is now working perfectly. So my guess is the sender was not adjusted when installed. I had a crack in the front cap which was repaired at Diamond Hill and has held well. My windshield cracked which is indicative of my model coach but Monaco designed a "halo kit" which was installed at Diamond Hill also along with a new windshield. The 2009 model windshields have less of a wrap around and have additional structural supports above and below the windshield so, in my view, Monaco has implemented design changes where required and has gone the extra mile to reinforce customer confidence through extended warranty work. I might add my coach rides like a dream and handles exceptionally well under all conditions.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #5

Duffy's dad: Thanks for that information. If your dash radio is the same Magnadyne as my Dynasty it is a cheap POS. Lots of negative posts on those units. Both with and without the DVD. Big Sky Bob: The dooor retainer is the same. Has not changed. I was gald to read that you are both happy with your units and that other things have improved. We are very happy with our Dynasty.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 12-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I've had a love/hate relationship with Monaco. The thing that frustrates me the most is not being able to get any reliable information out of them. We need to be informed about the problems others are encountering on a timely and reliable basis, not word of mouth with a string of "surprises". The most recent issue to me is the radiator failures due to aluminum construction. Now I'm trying to make a contingency to replace it, if it fails, without being taken to the cleaners by Monaco or a vendor. Since recalls only seem to apply to the RV industry if it is a safety issue Monaco isn't going to tell us about it. Very frustrating!!
Ron
Old 12-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It is a Magnadyne, but I have to admit it has served me well. It was a different unit for the 2009 Camelots and based on my experience it must be a big improvement. Mama has seen it and was equally impressed. I am not saying that it is equal to a Pioneer or other name brand, but so far it is performing well.

2009 Camelot QDP 40ft.
Duffy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #8

I'll let you know come our big trip in March about the quality overall....Jury is still out...but the radio FM reception stinks but now that I have it hooked to satellite...that's all I listen to anyway.....

Initially good, but room for improvement...that's how I mark it for now
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:29 AM   #9

What scares me is if my windshield cracks because of design defect the standard will apply, "sorry you are out of warranty".
Old 12-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
In addidion to the "fixes" others have mentioned, there is the windshield wiper fix/recall on the Dips and Endeavors, and since 2007 model years, the cruise control works with the engine brake engaged, which was a big complaint on earler models. The biggest windshield problem seemed to be whith the Camelot, and they redesigned the front cap to fix that. I think they did that with some lower models as well.

I've read isolated reports about roof seals, fuel senders, but not really that many. Not familiar with door retainer problem - I think the double latch system Monaco has works fairly well.

As for the Magnadyne radio/DVD. I very much like the design of the unit for a motorhome application. But they DO seem to fail a lot. Don't know what's up with that.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #11

RobinM :

The door retainer is that narrow flat metal piece on top of the door that holds it open. They are VERY problematic. Again glad to hear that those other things have been corrected.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 12-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moisheh:
The door retainer is that narrow flat metal piece on top of the door that holds it open. They are VERY problematic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh yes, now I know what you mean. Mine turns "inside out" sometimes. I just reach up and pull it back. It is a pain, though.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
My door retainer had this problem, but I looked at it and it has a small raised metal notch that stops it from going past straight. The arm had bent slightly, so that the notch was not hitting the opposite arm. I bent the arm so the raised notch hits the other arm. It has been working perfectly for the last six months.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Luke,

Thanks. I'll have to take a closer look at mine. It hasn't happened often enough for me to get real upset about it yet.