Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2018, 04:05 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Some of the good stuff started in Beavers as of 2006
Fuel fill down low direct into tank, you can use the truck pumps.
MUX electrical
Twin electric entrance steps
Valance above awning, valance mounted awnings (The rail or trim on sides of coach, I don't know what to call it!)
Side windows in bedroom slideout by head of bed
Pantry access via double doors (in addition to narrow slide out door)

Maybe someone else can complete the list.
Interesting.

Those twin/double entrance steps would be nice (I wonder if they would fit in place of the single step on the '05).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2018, 02:16 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 2004 45' Monaco SIG with a Detroit and 124,000 miles on the clock and plan to keep it until we quit RVing. Absolutely love the coach.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:23 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
DPF started with the 2007 model year with Cummins, however some chassis makers bought engines before the cut off date. Unfortunately my ISX wasn't one of them so I did the ugly fix to it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:00 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRver View Post
We love our 03. We have had it for almost a year. It had 40,000 miles on it when we got it and now itís at 48,000. The 2005-2006 isl 400 with the newer high pressure common rail fuel system would have been nice but Iím not complaining about the one I have. We regularly tow about 9000 pounds of Ram 2500 megacab 4x4 behind it and it does fine. If I had a choice when we bought I would have rather had the 10kw generator and 3 roof acs. Two were not cutting it last summer in 118 degree heat. In 2005 they came out with multiplex whole coach wiring too. Itís a nice feature but not necessary. I was happy to find a rig that had great service history and low mileage. I have some of the fiberglass crazing zmotorsports talked about but itís part of those coaches from the era in the dark colors. Good luck!
Funny you mention the Onan 10kW genset and triple roof air's. That was on our "must have" list when we were looking, as well as many other things, but was the absolute hardest thing to find in a 40' package, but not in a 40 footer. I'm always looking at various coaches and I think I've only seen two others besides ours. Jump to a 42 foot plus coach and triple roof units and Onan 10kW are pretty much standard equipment. The wife couldn't figure out why I was so adamant about it but she now understands when we have to pull all of that heat out of the coach on a hot day and in a short time she's chilled.

Mike
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:08 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
We've been mainly discussing powerplants/drivetrains but the house part also requires some serious attention during inspecting as they can get just as costly as a drivetrain component failure.

One other thing worth mentioning that seems to be a bit more common on the Monaco/HR line of coaches due to the way they build their slides and don't wrap the bottom corners, that is slide out floor rot. I looked long and hard at Monaco coaches back in 2006/2007 when we were looking for our current coach and several that I ran across had either floor rot that the owner did not know was there, OR floor rot that I feel the owner knew about and was trying to sell.

I have babied ours and redone the caulking on the bottom edges at least every other year in fear of this issue and trying to ward it off but I am assuming not a lot of people are aware until it is too late. There is a product to remedy mildly deteriorated slide floor or best case scenario, to prevent it from happening but thought it worth mentioning to keep your eye out for it as you are looking at various coaches. Easy tell tale sign is going to be the plywood/plastic laminate under the slide becoming disbonded from the corner joint and exposing the wet plywood. Just be on the lookout for it.

Mike
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, depends on how many engines that the coach builder had bought in advance. Anything after 2007 it's possible to have tier4 controls. Especially on the higher outputs.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:57 PM   #35

Our 2007 Knight 40 PDQ has a 2006 ISC 300 HP engine in it, no DEF and runs well. Two issues: it is a bit under powered going up steeper hills but it gets there and it will overheat on hills if you keep it at full throttle. I've learned to keep the engine above 1800 RPM for best cooling and then watch the gauge and back off if it gets too hot.

It's reasonably well built and we bought it almost 3 years ago with 38,000 miles, no over 54,000. Took it to Alaska last summer and no issues on the 10,000 miles round trip. We upgraded to a Samsung residential refrigerator and added 960 watts of solar.

Other than the inadequate cooling system, my biggest gripe is that the propane gauge is on the wrong end of the tank! You can't see it and I had to swap the gauge as the sensing element went out. Took me forever to find it and it a PITA to swap the gauge.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
AND...someone has a beautiful 2003? Sig with a side entry. We looked it in Knoxville about 05 but still had few miles on our Safari Continental and couldn't convince the wife to change at that point.

We don't call them snowflakes for nothing. My kids have the same year Dynasty as ours and there are numerous differences. A lot of these coaches were special ordered like ours that has a Sig paint scheme/colors so you really have to eyeball each coach you want to check out.

Comes to mins there is a Dynasty out there with a Detroit too...probably one of the last down the line trying to use everything.

Enjoy the hunt there is a "perfect" one out there for you too!
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipower120r View Post
I am thinking about switching from my toy hauler fifth wheel to a diesel pusher and have been told pre 2008 Monaco is the only way to go looking for some input on the Monaco line up and also any problems. Or other makes and models that might compare or perhaps better and why?

Thanks, Don

I understand that 2008 may be among the worst years for a Monaco. They were going under and building as fast and cheap as possible. Pre-2007 is said to be better, or after 2009 when they were bought by Navistar.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #38

As far as Monaco slide floor failures, Talin RV Talin Manufacturing HOme of the Guardian Plates

and their Guardian Plates are the fix.

The double entry step on the 2006 and up Beavers cuts into the entry well area, I suppose with a beer or two and a sawzall we could 'get 'er in...........
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #39

And Monaco knew they had a problem with the slide floors; Our Beaver has a black 'drip rail' about 8" above the side/floor seam, the only purpose of this trim has to be to deflect water down the trim and away from the seam.....Now if they would have just wrapped the wall around the corner......
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:17 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
As far as Monaco slide floor failures, Talin RV Talin Manufacturing HOme of the Guardian Plates

and their Guardian Plates are the fix.

The double entry step on the 2006 and up Beavers cuts into the entry well area, I suppose with a beer or two and a sawzall we could 'get 'er in...........
We have a single entry step, assuming we are taking the ones on the outside.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:57 PM   #41

Just bought a 2004 Monaco Camelot. 38PST with 400ISL and 33k miles. New tires, new bats and garage kept by original owner. Thrilled. Picking it up Tuesday and heading to Half-moon Bay for a few days on the first voyage. Never driven one this big before after selling my Fleetwood Storm 32 foot. I'll let you know how big my smile is on return home.
Dave
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:42 AM   #42

We picked up a 07 Monaco Diplomat PDQ 400ISL in October and are real happy with it. Research guided us to pre DEF and DPF builds. No visible slide floor rot, but we are showing roller wear on the road side bedroom slide.
Gregs2007Dip is offline   Reply With Quote