Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

Monaco Diplomat dash fans

I have a 2000 Monaco Diplomat and the in dash fans and fans on top of dash along with the radio, all stopped working.
I presume it is fuses, but all the fuses, in the side compartment under driver, and all fuses above bed, show to be good.
Can anyone give me an ideal to where to look next?
Thanks
Kenney
kenney58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Kenny! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Exactly how did you check the fuses? Don't mean to question your competence but some folks are really good with a VOM and others maybe not so much.

I'll tell you the way I would do it. Set the meter to read DC volts, next scale above 12VDC. Put the negative (black) lead on a common ground. Touch the positive (red) lead to EACH end of every fuse. You should read 12VDC on both ends. If you read it on one end only, that fuse is blown or the connection is bad. Hope this helps!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi Kenny! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Exactly how did you check the fuses? Don't mean to question your competence but some folks are really good with a VOM and others maybe not so much.

I'll tell you the way I would do it. Set the meter to read DC volts, next scale above 12VDC. Put the negative (black) lead on a common ground. Touch the positive (red) lead to EACH end of every fuse. You should read 12VDC on both ends. If you read it on one end only, that fuse is blown or the connection is bad. Hope this helps!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
I will check it that way, as I was pulling the fuse and checking with ohms. Have also noticed that my dash lights do not work also..... it is as everything on dash dont work, but tach, speedometer, back up.camera and turn signals all work
kenney58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Monaco had a bad habit of labeling a fuse one thing and then have two things on the same fuse.

It would sometimes take a while to check all those fuses in the run bay (under the driver's window) when you had an unusual problem.

I found this tool, available on Amazon, Walmart, or any auto parts store, works great. It's adjustable for different size fuses and tells you instantly if a fuse is good. They're about $15.00.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BSS-DIA1_ml.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	239216
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:17 AM   #5
YC1

Dutch Star and Joe are spot on. However those little plastic tester don't do enough for me and are often impossible to get into places.

The cheap test light shown is easy to use and will get into the tops of the fuses easily as well as any other 12 volt locations you need.

Post back after re-checking and if needed someone will dig into the schematics and see if there is a relay common to all of those functions. Usually a simple plug and play relay around $5 at any automotive store.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:16 AM   #6

Possibly a ground issue. I've not had that happen to us, YET!! But it is a common suggestion on this forum. I do know that there is an access panel, maybe 10" x 16" on the top of our dash, in front of the windshield. From there, I can see a grounding bar, maybe 6" long, mounted on the back of the firewall, and it is "loaded" with ground connections. It's not that easy to get to, but it is there. It is highly likely that those functions you say aren't working for you would be getting their grounds from that bus bar, it we were looking at our coach.

You could run a long wire with alligator clips on each end from a good ground (in your front run box) to that grounding bar and see if those things work. If so, that's your problem.

It really does sound like a ground or a common power supply issue, and NOT a problem with those individual functions.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, fan, monaco, monaco diplomat