Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
Fgg

Monaco Diplomat Front windshield problem

Hello everyone I am a newbie as you may know and not very good with computer Skills so please do bear with me I’ll do my best as to the title of my problem I recently purchased a 2006 Monaco diplomat and have recently Developed a problem with my front windshield rubber gasket pulling off of the frame as where it mounts on the motorhome it will happen to either right or left top corner of the window. I have been told the cause of this is because of how unlevel ground I may be trying to level the motorhome on. But we all know how level most camp sites are. I have to try couple different scenarios of leveling the motorhome out by blocking the wheels up first to just about level and then air down Before deploying the jacks to level the coach perfectly and the gasket will move away from the frame before the Jacks are deployed. I have even left air in the airbag system see if this may help With not allowing the coach to twist when leveling it out but no success. I also have purchased a new seal for the window and put it in a couple weeks ago hoping this would help fix the problem which did help for one or two trips but then came home and park the motorhome where I always do. I air down to level the coach and the rubber peeled away on passenger side again the driver side wheel was down about 7 inches Lower than the passenger front wheel so I try a scenario by blocking the driver wheel up 7 inches and airing down again it did the exact same thing the seal pulled off again. SO!!! I have read some post on this problem Sense I have joined but not finding too many answers to fix the problem or if it can be ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Cheers
Fgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #2

Hi Fgg; I see in your post that you mentioned you put a new seal in a couple of weeks ago. Are you saying you removed the one piece windshield, removed the current gasket/seal that came with the coach and replaced the seal/gasket and reinstalled the windshield? That's one hell of a job! From what I understand the gasket/seal is glued/adhered to the cap and the windshield floats in the seal/gasket. You could have a couple of things that are not correct. I recommend you contact RV Glass Solutions in Coburg Oregon as they are the experts in this windshield problem. They also come highly recommended by others here who used their services including myself. I had a side window that was fogged and replaced it with their solid one piece glass. Saw lots of coaches with the problem you are describing at their shop. I think after you talk to them you might get some better insight on which direction to go to fix your problem.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
Fgg

Hi 8.30ilbuner Yes I have the seal replaced by Speedy Glass here in AB Canada we order the seal from US not sure what’s State. And yes it was a big job to pull out the window and replace the seal I’m not sure if the glass shop glued the complete new seal in the frame of the motorhome I know he said he had glued some of it in but left some so that it had movement to shift when the motorhome shifted. I will get back to the glass shop owner and speak with him and ask him what he did exactly and then we will have to contact RV glass solutions and see if we can rectify the problem. Thank you for the feedback and hopefully we can get this problem fixed. Stay safe and healthy and thank you very much again. Cheers
Fgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #4

Good evening Fgg; I use Speedy Glass here in Wa. state for my automotive glass replacement. Have never asked them about doing big RV windshields. Unfortunately a lot of glass shops do not have the experience for the problems that have arisen with the one piece windshields on certain years and models of Monaco & Holiday Rambler coaches. I am sure some have experience with the problems, but RV Glass Solutions are the go to people for the problem you are having. In the mean time if you would like to read about others here who have the problem you are having I would suggest using the search box at the top right of this page. Try searching for, windshield popped out of the front cap on my 2006 Monaco Diplomat. I am sure you will get some reading to do as well as others here who have used RV Glass Solutions. Will be interesting to see what info you acquire. After all is said and done please post your results as others here who are in you situation will have solutions to their windshield problems. Have a great evening!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgg View Post
Hi 8.30ilbuner Yes I have the seal replaced by Speedy Glass here in AB Canada we order the seal from US not sure what’s State.
... I’m not sure if the glass shop glued the complete new seal in the frame of the motorhome I know he said he had glued some of it in but left some so that it had movement to shift when the motorhome shifted.
That is the correct way to install - glue the gasket to frame and do not glue gasket to glass. This allows for some movement between the glass and frame for chassis flexing.

I wonder if the windshields we buy are all the same dimensions (what is the quality control). If the replacement windshield was 3/8" smaller in height or width, that could cause a big problem.

Do all the glass manufacturers adhere to strict tolerances (SAE or such)? When I was replacing my windshield and posted some questions, someone said there are two RV windshield manufactures and one was better than the other (I don't recall the names now). Maybe buying glass is like buying auto parts where some replacement parts/brands are just junk.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #6

Not sure the solution but I had a similar problem. My front windshield cracked on my 2006 Monaco Knight on our first night out and the rig was brand new. Insurance covered the repair and if installation was incorrect then I would have gone back to insurance company for relief. Do you have insurance? If so it is likely non-deductible.
Just a thought.
Refun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Cyclonestim

Fgg. RV Glass Solutions,Have supplied the glass for most coaches for many years,Most windshield glass for coaches for the western US and Canada come from there.(Coach Glass).They bought some of the original Monaco Coach Manufacturing facilities.and have massive inventory storage space.AND they never use Chinese Windshields according to the owner...(Side note)Took my coach there last year for new windshield and it happened to be the same building where my coach was conceived.. They know the game inside out,and very professional.They even have a few plugins if customers come early..They even have staff there who worked at Monaco. They also have service to deal with smoked, fogged glass(but have quit a waiting list for that because they are so busy..Let us know how you make out with the issue...Which town did your glass in AB..were you happy with the work?
cyclonestim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, monaco diplomat, problem, wind, windshield