Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2017, 04:15 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
2007 Monaco Knight improvements

We had installed a Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer. Made a big difference. Easier to drive now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2017, 07:03 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
The Howard and the Blue Ox Tru-Center do the same thing. They both attempt to compensate for the fact that the sub-assembly to which your axles are attached is wobbling about under the coach. Stop the wobbling and you need NOTHING. Watts link front, X-braces rear. Is the Howard worth fixing? Absolutely not. You can CURE the problem, rather than mask it, for far less money. Remove your Howard and someone who has been drinking the Kool-Aid will probably give you enough for it for you to purchase the REAL fix for your problem.

Skim this thread, beginning approximately 3/4 through.

Bob Nodine is an exceptionally knowledgeable and competent mechanic/engineer. He lives not far from Knoxville and has always been happy to share his knowledge. Contact him, talk to him, and perhaps see his coach's installations.

Van, I assume I need to remove the Howard system from my '05 Diplomat to make room for the Watts link system. What about the rear anti-sway bar I installed 3 years ago?
Old 09-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
TipS

"I installed a rear anti sway bar kit over 2 years ago but really didn't notice a lot of improvement. Will that have to be removed to install the Watts link kit?"

No. The watts and cross bars can work in conjunction with the sway bars.
You do not need to remove them.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughes View Post
TipS

"I installed a rear anti sway bar kit over 2 years ago but really didn't notice a lot of improvement. Will that have to be removed to install the Watts link kit?"

No. The watts and cross bars can work in conjunction with the sway bars.

You do not need to remove them.

Thank you! That was a real bear to install by myself!
Old 09-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #47

yes, cross bar in the rear, mine is air only no levers
Old 09-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #48

yes Monaco watts, from California. talked to mike and ordered it online.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
I have no problem with my 1995 32 ft Dynasty it's got 72k miles on it , is it a mileage thing?
There is a HUGE "human element" in the broad range of opinions folks have about the way their coaches handle. I've driven road-wild, wobbling pigs that I wouldn't want to drive around the block, whose owners said, "It drives pretty good." As a general rule, the absolute worst handling coaches were the shorter ones with the older, super-soft, two-piece urethane bushings in all locations. Yours would be one of those.

Although you may be satisfied with the handling/tracking of your coach, I suspect that if you changed all the (20) bushings to ATRO bushings (or even the later style one-piece OEM bushings,) installed a front Watts link and rear X-braces, and adjusted your TRW steering gear (assuming it is not a Sheppard, which would need to be replaced) you would be nothing short of amazed.

But if you are totally satisfied, there is no reason to do anything. No, mileage has very little to do with it. Those early coaches handled/tracked poorly when they rolled off the assembly line.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipS View Post
How can I get in touch with Bob N. In Knoxville?
PM him from one of the threads he posted to the "Wandering" thread.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:54 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
And
Where do I get the correct trailing arm bushings for a 1999 42 ft , 10 air bag Roadmaster chassis
The ATRO bushing is best. PM Craig (Crazy Knight) about where he found a decent price on his.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
There is a HUGE "human element" in the broad range of opinions folks have about the way their coaches handle. I've driven road-wild, wobbling pigs that I wouldn't want to drive around the block, whose owners said, "It drives pretty good." As a general rule, the absolute worst handling coaches were the shorter ones with the older, super-soft, two-piece urethane bushings in all locations. Yours would be one of those.

Although you may be satisfied with the handling/tracking of your coach, I suspect that if you changed all the (20) bushings to ATRO bushings (or even the later style one-piece OEM bushings,) installed a front Watts link and rear X-braces, and adjusted your TRW steering gear (assuming it is not a Sheppard, which would need to be replaced) you would be nothing short of amazed.

But if you are totally satisfied, there is no reason to do anything. No, mileage has very little to do with it. Those early coaches handled/tracked poorly when they rolled off the assembly line.
Sure If I ever have a problem driving it I will fix it .. Thanks
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #53

monaco watts

I couldn't finish because one of the front brackets for the 3" down tube doesn't fit to make the tie rod line up straight. so it will be next week before I know!
Old 09-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #54

Quote:
PM him from one of the threads he posted to the "Wandering" thread.

Van hope you make it to QZ in Jan. Maybe you can drive my coach and reaffirm everything is good!
Old 09-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #55

Outdoors RV Owners Club
To the OP

I think by now you have the drift.

The Monaco coaches with the Roadmaster 8 air bag and 10 air bag (yes, 10 air bag!) chassis have an inherent design flaw that is responsible for the coach wandering and the driver feeling that it is difficult to maintain directional control of the coach at the steering wheel.

Van Williams has designed a solution to this problem. You can catch it all at Monacowatts.com

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Van hope you make it to QZ in Jan. Maybe you can drive my coach and reaffirm everything is good!
Craig and I both plan to be there. Long trip for us, but lots of fun and great to meet a bunch of gearheads.

Tags
monaco