RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #1

monaco dynasty

Hello Dynasty owners:

Subject: 2008 Monaco Dynasty ( Ralph Lauren edition in "Black Pearl" )

Has anyone experienced water damage to an exterior wall and not been able to determine the source.

I have extensive damage to the interior wall board behind the wall paper on the exterior wall of my bathroom. The damage is all below the wainscot and below the bathroom window. No damage above, which would seem to indicate water is not coming in around the window or from anywhere up above. There are water and waste lines that run through a wooden box at the base of wall, but no sign of leak from any of the lines. The wood subfloor is exposed right below the wall which is wet all the way down to the floor, but no water damage to the pressed wood subfloor.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced water damage to wall paper or wall board behind the wall paper that may have been caused by condensation. My Dynasty has the Ralph Lauren interior and the wall paper on the exterior wall of the bathroom is a heavy vinyl material and may not allow the wall to breath?

If anyone has a thought I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you very much.

Doug B
jkrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrubicon View Post
Hello Dynasty owners:

Subject: 2008 Monaco Dynasty ( Ralph Lauren edition in "Black Pearl" )

Has anyone experienced water damage to an exterior wall and not been able to determine the source.

Doug B
Long story short:
We have repaired an older Signature with bad enough water damage to cause both the exterior and interior wall wooden sub-structure(luon) to rot which led to delamination which cracked the exterior fiberglass and the interior vinyl wall paper. We knew where the water came from, the window.

Condensation?

Have you pulled the window out? Window seals can leak, and the window frame can leak. Previous owners sometimes accidently leave windows open when it rains. On our Monacos, when the window(s) is removed, it is plain to see that when the coach was built they made no attempt to prevent water from getting into the wall if water somehow got beyond the window and/or its frame. If water gets into the wall somehow it will eventually destroy the wood in the wall(s) and the fiberglass and/or wallpaper that it is glued to.

If there is any water inside your wall, it needs to be removed and eliminated forever asap. Wood and water don't mix well. If it is possible to do the repair from inside the coach, remove the wall paper, remove the wet wood(luon), remove the wet styrofoam, if the wood(luon) on the other side of the styrofoam is also wet it will need to be dried out if it hasn't started to rot. If it has, then it to will need to be removed and replaced, then everything put back together in the opposite order with new. If the repair work has to be done from the outside, it's even more difficult and costly because of the paint and body work envolved.

Most RV shops won't tackle these type of jobs. Requires too much time and attention to detail to do it properly.

We hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Check under the sink cabinet for any water lines. I found one that was loose and leaked very slowly down the plastic "pipe" down to the wood. I noticed the drips on the cement where I parked the MH. Have you seen any water on the area below the bathroom on the ground? deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #4

Thanks to those who offered help! A bit more digging and I found the problem. I suggest everyone check for the same as follows:

After removing the washer and dryer from the same wall where water damage was first discovered in bath room, more damage was behind the dryer and very apparent it was coming in the dryer vent. The vent on my coach does not have a hood over it therefore any water from rain or washing can enter the vent which had no sealant what so ever to keep water out. In my opinion this is a very pour design, I will contact the factory to see what else is available.

Thanks again to those who offered advise.

Doug B
jkrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #5

Could you post pics?
Here is what our problem free vent looks like.

Tags
monaco