Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #1

Monaco Dynasty step will not retract

I have a 2004 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV (40 ft.) with an entry step that will not retract today. This is the first time this has happened. The owner’s manual says to check the 30 amp breaker (did, it’s on) and then check the 7 amp fuse in the outside panel near the front (driver’s side). That panel says the 7 amp fuse is in the passenger side arm rest. I looked but can’t find this fuse so can someone tell me how to retract the step so I can get on the road again?

Carl
coscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had this problem with mine and a can of WD 40 fixed it.
They get stuck when not lubed
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hope this helps. While closeing door you should hear a click from the door switch,try tapping the motor under step with a small hammer while closeing the door.Sometimes as the motor wears they can develope a flat spot on the operator arms.The tap may help free them.Also you will need to open and close the door each time you try this because it may take a couple tries.Good luck.
whitetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You should have a switch by the door that will manually close the step .
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Steps

Do you know what kind/brand kwikee or coach house? mine were coach house(stromberg-carlson now) and i removed the ball joint from 1 end to see if the motor would work. i found it to be intermittent at best. my coach steps say not to lube and most caution about wd 40 because it collects dirt and dust. if you did remove the ball joint part you can push the steps in and tie them in to get you going. i used my air compressor to blow out all the pivot points or any moving parts again it was still intermittent. i just purchased a new motor,control box and the ball joint setup about $180. and it has solved all my problems. it's much easier to work on it at home then on the road. i paid local rv shop to adjust my steps which i question because the threads on the ball joint were toast and looks like someone just sprayed some lube on them on the moving parts(states right on the step not to lube) i pickup the mh and came home only to find the step stuck in the out position the first time i open the door..so much for good service and throwing money out the window. anyways it's done they are clean work smoothly and should be fine for some time. hope you got em in?
ZOOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:17 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
There should be a pivot pin you can remove and push the step in. I use a bungee cord to keep them in when that happens.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4fun View Post
I had this problem with mine and a can of WD 40 fixed it.
They get stuck when not lubed
I have this problem, continually.
This is the easiest & cheapest fix. Also clean the slide tracks.
WD 40 or Breakfree is good, I would not use grease as it would collect small rocks & debris.
TAEZZAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
While wd40 is well known & works well as said it will collect dirt ,try going to your NAPA automotive store &get some Teflon dry lubricate & try that it will not collect dust & dirt. Been using this for years.
KNIGHT12
KNIGHT12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:14 AM   #9

step

Had this problem. Ended up being the "contact pin" located in the frame of the coach door. It was not making good contact when the door is shut. Mine was adjustable. Ended up just getting a new $7 one from Beaver Sales in Bend Or. Good luck
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #10

Smile

Regardless who manufactured your step could do the following:

Find the red wire to the controller and use a test probe to see if the controller is receiving power.

Disconnect the terminal from the the step motor. With a separate power source and with two electrical probes provide power to the step motor. If the step motor wants to extend out reverse the probes and the step will retract. Providing power to the step does not function then your step motor is bad.
Could disconnect linkage and retract the step.

If you have a Dometic- Kwikee step there is an excellent video on their web site showing how to trouble shoot the step.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco