Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #1

Monaco electrical expert???

So completed upgrading my 06 HVAC to 15KBTU heat pumps today and in the process found the front AC breaker was leaking 37volts when off. Sooooo...open up panel to replace that and then found this (see pic). Incoming 50amp service common wire with some type of component on it right before the bar that has exploded/got hot and clearly almost started a fire! There are no electrical anomalies on the coach anymore (after swapping that breaker) and I'm fairly aware of electrical components (replace all the hvac myself) but have no idea what this thing is????? This coach has a progressive industries circuit protection system on it but not from new so perhaps that add by previous owner was due to whatever caused this problem. In any case, seems clear I need to replace feed wire....but no idea what that "thingy" is on the common that blew up. Anyone? Behuler? Behuler?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV 50amp incoming common.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	138690  
red_georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Never seen such a thing......
Old 09-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Almost looks like a coil that is used to measure amperage. I installed something that look like this when I had to replace my Intellitec EMS board and a new load center.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Almost looks like a coil that is used to measure amperage.
It might just be a current sensor since it connects to the neutral bar. If the other end of the wire goes to your auto transfer switch, then it probably is/was the current sensor.

The transfer switch might of gone "toes up" at some point causing that sensor to fail.
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It is a current sensor and it did not cause the burned wire. What most likely happened is that the terminal was not tight at the Neutral bar. That loose connection was the point of heating, caused the wire to heat up which heated the current sensor and the plastic mount for the bar is also melted.
Seen similar things happen in my work life as well as on one of our previous coaches.
I do check/retighten all my connections on a yearly basis now.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #6

current sensor

Thanks, makes sense. Confused how that sensor works since it isn't connected to anything other than the wire???? I'm assuming it needs to be replaced? Is that something that just slides on the wire or is it "fixed" on the wire and I need to order a specific feed wire/harness for from transfer switch to breaker box?
red_georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
There should be 2 smaller wires from the sensor that go to the power management system or power display. The sensor works by "sensing" the magnetic field found around the large cable. The higher the current in the cable, the larger/stronger the magnetic field.
Hope that helps.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
YC1

There most likely was a wire connected to the ball. It is just a simple current sensor that has been overheated. I'm glad you found this.

I am sure everything will receive some tightening.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Inteltech 50 amp smart energy management sys.pdf (312.8 KB, 49 views)

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with the others in that the object looks like a current sensor coil.
Another possible reason for the over heated neutral wire could be an overload condition caused by an incorrectly wired 50amp pedestal in that both legs were connected to the same phase (L1-L2=0 volts). This causes a potential 100amp through the neutral instead of 50amp. Adding a current sensor to the neutral is a way to detect this condition and either it didn't work or was added after the fact.

Tags
electrical, monaco