Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #1

Monaco Entry Door model DYN-06-OR,difficult to open from outside

Have 06 HR Imperial. to open entry door; one has to apply pressure to edge of door while holding door latch open. Have tried adjustment to both "strikes" without success. Sure could use some help! thanks
curtismb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #2

i had basically the same problem with my 06 Camelot. Started at that and than I began to get locked out as latch would not release from the striker, I had my body shop friend adjust the catches and problem is done. GOOD LUCK!!!

Rolly
Rolly Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtismb View Post
Have 06 HR Imperial. to open entry door; one has to apply pressure to edge of door while holding door latch open. Have tried adjustment to both "strikes" without success. Sure could use some help! thanks
I keep things related to the motorhome for reference. Here is one you may be interested in:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Adjusting entrance door.pdf (338.6 KB, 923 views)
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #4

Quote:
curtismb
Do you know if it has always been a problem?
Could it be a heat related problem?

When the weather is HOT my door is difficult to open, especially after the sun has been shining on it for a few hours).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
"Striker" adjustment will not help. The correct adjustment is INSIDE the door for the 2 latches. See the directions provided in Nodine's mail. We adjusted 10-12 Monaco doors at "Q" this year and got it down to a 45 minute job..
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #6

thanks to all of you for your input. The pdf file sent by Nodine is significant and most helpful. Really appreciate all the input.
curtismb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
thanks to all of you for your input. The pdf file sent by Nodine is significant and most helpful. Really appreciate all the input.
I just made the adjustment last week and its real simple. Its a good time to lube up all the parts while the panel is off. I ended up putting locktight on the nuts to prevent it from happening again. I got this exact info from this forum not too long ago. Its amazing the wealth of knowlege on this forum and how helpful people are.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My door was getting so hard to open that DW had to really struggle with it. I got a can of clear silicon spray lubricant and quit literally "drown" the latches, the rubber gasket all around the door and all other parts with it. The door now works like it did-if not better- than it did when new.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #9

Printed off the instructions, but I noticed when I shut my door slowly, the top is flush but the bottom still is out 1/4 inch. It's like my door is not allined right. Should I mess with the hinges?
danr62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Working now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danr62 View Post
Printed off the instructions, but I noticed when I shut my door slowly, the top is flush but the bottom still is out 1/4 inch. It's like my door is not allined right. Should I mess with the hinges?
Just did the adjustment on my door latch and noticed it also sticks out on the bottom about 1/4 an inch. But everything latches and functions fine now. There is still a seal all around the door so not sure I will mess with lining up any better.

I had the same problem as the OP. If you pushed against the door and pulled on handle it would open or if you pull real fast and firm would open. The inside latch worked fine. There was not enough travel in the outside handle to open the latches normally.

My latches were operating correctly (at the same time) but the link between the outside handle and the mechanism (item 12 on the pdf) needed to be tightened and everything is working great!

Thanks all for the info and diagram!

Tom
tchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
I had the sticking problem and found out it was not the door, but the screen door latch.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
On my Monaco, the latches seem to be adjusted correctly and the door opens easily from the inside. However, opening the door from the outside is the problem. It's like it needs to be tighten up a bit to ensure that I can pull it far enough to open it. It also seems to be more difficult when it is hot outside.

Do I have to disassemble everything, or is there an adjustment that just fixes the outside handle?

Thanks,

Ron
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldNC View Post
On my Monaco, the latches seem to be adjusted correctly and the door opens easily from the inside. However, opening the door from the outside is the problem. It's like it needs to be tighten up a bit to ensure that I can pull it far enough to open it. It also seems to be more difficult when it is hot outside.

Do I have to disassemble everything, or is there an adjustment that just fixes the outside handle?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron,

You can cut an access hole that will enable you to adjust the linkage without taking the door apart. That is what I did.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Check out post #20 and after on the thread below.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/cant...-174975-2.html

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, monaco