Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco Faucets made by Tristar Cast Products

Hello All, Just thought I would provide this information regarding the brush nickel faucets used in many of the 2007 Monaco RV's. I’m sure they are used in other years also. You might think that Delta or Moen makes these faucets, but these faucets are made by Tri-Star Cast Products in Oregon. I recently had a lavatory faucet that started leaking from the bottom of the faucet. It only leaked (a lot) when the faucet was operating, never when it was shut off. I contacted Monaco who informed me that the faucet was warranted for 3 years from the manufacturer. I contacted Tri-Star and was informed by them that Monaco had purchased the product and not me. When Monaco faulted the warranty was terminated. Sound like something you might have heard before! I said fine. I asked if that had a repair kit to refurbish the faucet. They said no, but they would be glad to sell me a new faucet for $32.00 plus shipping and handling. I asked if they had developed a repair for the new faucet, which they replied “NO”. I said why would I buy a faucet that can’t be fixed especially in an RV, which gets beat up traveling over the roads. I finally went to home Depot and purchased a new faucet for $30 dollars that can be repaired with a kit. I thought I’d share this information so you do not have to do all the leg work that I had to do. I have attached a picture of the faucet Tri-Star faucet that is in my 2007 Knight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tristar Faucet.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	3280  
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hi Dave

Useful information - thank you.

Both our kitchen and bathroom fausets are leaking as you have described and I did think about replacing these with identical makes. This won't happen now.

Did you find replacements with the same "footprints" as the originals? What did you buy?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Dane, Could not find a brush nickel at Home depot so I just purchased a chrome one that I could use till we retrun to Indiana. I was worried that the faucet would start leaking when shut off so I needed to do something soon. Also since there are no shut off valves under the vanity I needed to take action. I will find one that matches better when we get home.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefdave View Post
I thought I’d share this information so you do not have to do all the leg work that I had to do.

I have the same faucets, and one of the bath lavs leaks a bit around the handle when I'm turning it on or off (only while the handle is moving.) I made some adjustments which helped, but didn't solve the issue.

When I get annoyed enough to replace it, I now know that I shouldn't bother trying to track down an exact replacement. Thanks for saving me some time.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #5

Has anyone taken these leaky faucets apart and found out what the actual problem is? Chiefdave you have the old faucet still? Take it apart and see if it is just a bad oring which are available at Home Depot or ACE Hardware.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, I did take the faucet apart. Home depot does not carry any of the washers needed to repair these faucets. I do not understand when Tri-Star says "We sold it to Monaco, not you, so its not warranted." Bull
Old 03-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #7

Would it be possible to inform the "new Monaco Co" that if they are still using Tri-Star as a supplier, that it treats Monaco customers badly?
run2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #8

That excuse "we sold it to Monaco not to you" seems to be a cop out for several suppliers. So if you bought to faucet in a store then they could argue that the sold it to the store and not to you. I would call them back and talk to somebody higher up in the company.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #9

The problem is that likely the Old Monaco stiffed this company. If they were not paid why would they warrant the item . I am not agreeing with this polcy just explaining. Lippert did the same thing. Good companies like Dometic and Norcold just bit the bullet and honoured the warranties. I doubt that faucet was made in the USA.. Likely China. I can almost guarantee that there are cartridges available for this item. Try online. BTW: Not all Moancos used those faucets. I think the Dynasty's are either Moen or Delta.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #10

So everything that Lowes and Home Depot sell is not warranteed because it was first sold to the store. Selling something for resale is different than selling it to the original owner. I wish I had the time and money to take these people to court.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Made in Taiwan. No cartridges used inside the unit, just two small rubber washers for hot and cold-water inlets. The handle sets in a plastic molded ring with a rubber washer underneath. Although the washers appeared to be in good shape the water leaked from the bottom portion of the unit.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #12

Mike:

I can appreciate your frustration. I felt the same way when Lippert told me to go after Monaco for the warranty on my step motor. But they did not mind selling me a motor for 4 times the wholesale price!! As for going to court: If in your packet from Monaco there was a warranty paper from this faucet mfr. then they owe you warranty. If not you do not have a leg to stand on. No warranty was stated or implied. To carry this to an extreme what if your sink sprung a leak. You would have no warranty as the mfr. never provided any warranty to end users. They may have an agreement with Monaco but that does not automatically pass on to the final owner. This sucks but c'est la vie!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
very usefully info
thanks
our faucets have the exact same logo and I thought they were moens as well
my bathroom one will leak if you touch the handle if the water is running.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:19 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If your faucet leaks around the handle only when turned on then try taking the handle off and remove the ball. Take some white plumbers silicone grease and apply a thin coat to the ball. Replace and make sure the ball retainer is screwed down tight. This should stop the leak for awhile.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote