Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have again had the good fortune to meet some new friends that share the RV lifestyle that we have taken on. We have just been introduced to Duffy's Mom and Duffy's Dad and Duffy. Duffy's Mom (Vicky) invited us to dinner, a four star dinner that most restaurants couldn't compare to. At dinner we talked about our coaches and Monaco and what we thought of both.

The both of us, Dave and I have different backgrounds, Dave a company executive who looks at things from the top at the big picture and myself watching the workings from the inside. We both came to some of the same concussions of changes that Monaco could do to be more competitive in future markets. Like consolidation of models, coach lines so not to have them competing against each other (overlap). We also brought down the discussion to communizing components and locations of placements of same.

We would like the opinions of other Monaco owners to chime in and discuss the things that you have been talking about with your friends.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
this means Duffy's parents have not told me where to put them on the map recently!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Mike...do you mean communizing or commonizing? I knew your political leanings were a little right of center, but suggesting Monaco become a communist organization is taking it toooooo far
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike,
I'm thinking (my opinion)that Monaco will probably end the Beaver and Safari lines because of thier lack of funds. When they bought out the two companies, they started building them with the Roadmaster chassis on the diesel pusher models. They also used a mishmash of different parts to piece these units together from different outdated Monaco branded models. My 2007 Cheetah looks like a Monaco Knight with a Camelot/Dynasty roof w/ an older model Diplomat front and rear caps. I like the model but there is really no need to put the brand "Safari" on it anymore. I was told by a salesman at Guaranty RV that Monaco dropped all of the higher end model Safari's and turned the (actually lower end diesel pusher model) Cheetah into the top model Safari. They are basically trying to appease the loyal Safari brand owners of earlier models. I was also told that the Holiday Rambler brand name will probably be kept because of thier popularity and also of the Endeaver model's success.
I think in reality that Monaco is going to have to drop a couple of thier brand names....at least after they run out of the older Monaco brand parts.

The one thing that I did notice is that Monaco is building a completely different front cap "look" for the Beaver and the Cheetah models. Of course that was just before the economic crash. Hmmmm.....I could blather on all day but I still really don't know what Monaco will eventually do. I think it's a good time for a Martini, extra olives please.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 02-16-2009, 06:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
To followup on what Drifter and I discussed we felt that who better than the Monaco owner to advise Monaco corporate on what we like, dislike, or have for suggestions for improvements etc. Keeping in mind that all of us have a vested interest in seeing Monaco survive through these difficult times.

I figure between all of us we have a wealth of professional and technical experience from our work. Many of us are retired with years of management experience at the corporate level or have owned businesses. We have a lot of practical experience and creative talent in the IRV2 group.

One of the topics Drifter and I discussed, but did not resolve was the duplication of product lines and the additional cost to Monaco of having Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Safari and Beaver competing with each other at similar price points, with similar models, but with different badges. Hasn't this been one the problems that GM has struggled with over the years. So at what point does Monaco come to grips with the fact that there is not much difference between a Scepter and a Camelot and that they are competing for the same customer.

So lets start with suggestions for cutting out the duplication in the product lines. How important is customer loyalty to a particular name as opposed to an other. As an example, Drifter and I thought that Beaver owners were very brand conscious, but that it was primarily in the high end coaches. Maybe you could consolidate some Beaver, Safari, and Holiday Rambler badges with Monaco badges. What are your thoughts?

This is just one area--the tip of the iceberg--that we have thoughts on. What would you do to improve your coach?

When we have a concise document on an area I am sure Mama could get it to the right people at Monaco.

2009 Camelot QDP 40ft.
Duffy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:40 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sorry, Bad spell check!

Teeofff, When you can't spell good the words mean the same thing or I was trying to cover both sides......I don't know!

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Monco may survive this mess we are in but they will not be reconizable afterwards. My predictions:

Roadmaster will become a Navistar company, maybe absorbed by Workhorse. It will no longer be a joint venture between Monaco and Navistar.

Monaco will sell off Signature Resorts, hopefully at a profit.

Monaco will discontinue Safari, sell R-vision and Mckenzie. Trailers and fifth wheels will have the Holiday Rambler label.

They will keep Beaver (for awhile) and maybe Holiday Rambler coaches but discontinue the Vacationer and on the Monaco side the Lapalma will go away as well. They will sell gas Chassis on the Workhorse platform, and higher end DPs on the Roadmaster. Look for them to come out with coaches that have a broader market, more coaches with bunk beds, and such.

This is not a prediction but a wish:
I would like to see them build a 32-34 ft coach on the new UFO R-22 chassis. It would get good gas mileage (above 9mpg) and have all the advantages of a non air ride entry level DP as well as lower operating costs. With some thought they could make it a really nice coach and keep it in the 100k-125k Msrp range. Now wouldn't it be nice to get a new pusher with lots of goodies for say 110k delivered?
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #8

Gramps:

I think you would see the prese nt management sell off the Whole RV business and keep the resorts if they were going to divest. I agree with others about too many brands. But sometimes RV mfrs. do this so they can have more than one dealer in an area and not be "competing". FW does with the Bounder and Expedition. But Monaco has carried that theory too far. I also agree that when ( and IF) Monaco reopens it will be in a whole different world. Less sales. We will never see the sales figures of 04 to 06 again. Maybe half of those figures. The survivirs will be the more efficient comapmies with a real business plan. I am not a big Tiffin fan but they will survive. While Monaco has closed factory service facilities Tiffin has about 65 bays in Red Bay. There is no reason that Monaco cannot have the 3 facilities and generate profits and sales from these centers. In order to survrive you have to distinguish youself from the other mfrs. Customer service will increase sales. They are all fighting for the same piece of pie! ( and the pie has shrunk)
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
moisheh,

Your are correct. If they or any other manufacturer doesn't give the hightest priority to customer service they will get squeezed out by those that do.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's just like GM.....two many nameplates on the same cars. This worked up until now, but Monaco needs to consolidate. I personally think they should keep a straight Monaco line and a Beaver line. The Beaver line could mirror the Monaco line with more amenities. They could also keep production down to four levels of coaches, such as a Knight, Diplomat, Camelot and Dynasty.

I also like the other idea of placing everything in the same spot. Know matter which coach you buy, the equipment would all be located in the same area. I would go as far as saying that you make them all side radiators and place all servicing at the rear of the coach.

You sometimes wonder if the manufacturers actually listen to the owners. Especially when you see some of the interiors and floorplans that just about everyone hates.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Many people including the politicians have knocked GM for too many brands. For a moment consider Saturn, Chevy (Pontiac, Buick, Former Olds and GMC) and Cadillac. They had economy, mid range and luxury brands with too many in the mid range.

Now look at Toyata with Scion, Toyota and Lexus, kind of the same principle. What has been the difference for success? Target marketing with models! Scion was the first time buyers with sportiness, economy and price. The next was Toyota with the family cars, vans and trucks. Then Lexus with the older empty nester, now I can afford it, or well off yuppy crowd.

Brand loyalty is no longer a major issue for many people, but giving them a reasonable path to upgrade within brands is a way to keep them somewhat loyal.

Take Safari and make it the entry level. Make the units smaller, sportier, economical and cheaper. Make Holiday Rambler the family brand. Make Monaco the Luxury brand and dump Beaver(smallest market share). Each brand would have several floorplans but only one model. No tags in the entry level Safari but offer both gas and diesel and nothing larger than 36 foot, with no more than 2 slides. Nothing smaller than 39 foot or larger than 42 foot in the mid tear Holiday Rambler, diesel only. The Monaco Luxury brand would be all tag axle 45 footers with four slides. Limit options to each level and build more stock coaches. Then more options require a level change to the next economy, mid range and Luxury tiers. All that is required is to change the labels, and eliminate many plans and options. Write off the excess inventory and go on with the plan.

At least, these are my opinions. Yes you lose some people with the limitations, but you save a ton of bucks. You also solve the dealer problem, they carry all levels or none. This would also firm up pricing.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Funny, when I was at the KY show back in Dec Kay and I had talks along this line,to many models competeing against one another. Don't be surprise if you see some brands going away, or certain models within the brands disappearing.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #13

I like Jim Stewarts suggestions. When I was at the Indiana factory in 05, the production line was the same for many of the brands and at the end of the line, they started making the changes for the different barnds. s/Toby
Old 02-17-2009, 04:13 AM   #14
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
As a long time HR owner (almost 20 years), I agree with brand consolidation. For example, HR started with pickup slide-ins and travel trailers in the '50's. Later on they started making motor homes and 5th wheels of good quality . Both Monaco and HR brands have sold a lot of units, whereas the more recently acquired brands sold less. Time to drop those brands?

This could be hashed out around the 'ol campfire with a libation in hand.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote