Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco gauges

[As I read the number of threads about gauges I have to share what we did.
Of all our gauges on our 2001 windsor, the only 2 that work well, all the time are the temp and volt.
So we installed the scan gauge d and now tranny temp, oil pressure, engine temp, and volts are all on display, accurate all the time.
And when I say installed, that means we plugged it in. That's it.
It is my belief if I tried to keep all my dash gauges working all the time I could not use the coach. I would just be working on gauges.
Hope this helps.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
All of our original gauges work, but I too installed the ScanGuage D. It's a nice addition!

This is where I put mine. See post #42

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/scan...-242365-3.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a Silverleaf system, wasn't quite as easy as plug and play but once I got it connected and working I was able to set up the display the way I wanted it and can monitor all parameters all the time. Great system.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I think our Monaco gauge package is for entertainment only, about the only gauge they is close is the air and boost, I bought the Silverleaf VMSpc program in 2001 after two round trips of 250 miles each to Cummins only to solve my mystery overheating problem with the Silverleaf program, it was a ground problem and every time I would turn on the lights the temp gauge would go to 220 deg and oil pressure to 20 lb but I didn't notice that it was connected to turning on the lights. Cummins kept telling me the computer did not show anything but if oil pressure drops and engine temp rises that told me I had a problem, Silverleaf gave me the answer, I would not want to travel without it.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #5

Monaco's daisy chaining of the gauges tends to cause problems. When I turn on my lights the fuel gauge drops about 1/8 tank. In need to run a ground wire between the fuel sensor sending unit and the gauge to solve the problem.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Steve you are lucky if that is the only gauge that give you a false reading, about all of my gauges are not correct I depend on the Silverleaf for everything on the engine and Allison.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Steve you are lucky if that is the only gauge that give you a false reading, about all of my gauges are not correct I depend on the Silverleaf for everything on the engine and Allison.

I agree with you. The only dash gauges I watch are the fuel and air gauges. I watch the Aladdin for all engine/transmission functions.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #8

All of the gauges on older monaco and many other coaches are analog so they often use separate senders from what the engine computer and trans computer use. Another issue on many coaches is they jam a bunch of ground wires into a single lug connection this works OK while they are new but as time and corrosion take their toll you begin to lose grounds. the fix is to locate these lugs remove all the wires clean them and install terminal strips. Monaco used to run all their dash ground wires to a single lug on the firewall in front of the driver area. There could be 10 or more wires jammed into a single lug.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:15 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
The only gauge that quit working on our coach was the boost gauge!

Cummins says sometimes they get plugged with soot but I can't find where it attaches to the motor?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Probably got against the manifold and burnt into or got unplugged , it's just a little 1/4 plastic line.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Those pesky ground wires ! I was getting high engine temp when the headlights were turned on, turn off headlights engine temp went back to normal. Took the coach into Buddy Gregg in Knoxville. Had corroded ground wires, so the tech removed bad wires and re-ran new ground wires to 4 different gauges....now works as advertised !! .....

Chuck
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The only gauge I watch is the air pressure. I run Silverleaf's VMSpc and really like having all the realtime engine and transmission data displayed on my 17" laptop screen along with DeLorme's TOPO USA for me GPS.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #13

I went today to the repair shop. 13 volts. After 20 miles and when trans temp was higher than engine the volts dropped to 12.5 on the dash but the alladen was 13.6. and stayed their for the next 80 miles. If I turn on the head lights the voltage drops to 11 ish on the dash gauge. On the way home after I bought the coach the warning light and the stop light would rotate on, this went on for 300 miles with no engine stopping. Went to cummins with a code of air temp sender which they replaced. On the way home lights on and voltage on dash below 12.5. Now this is were it gets interesting, setting in my shop,warning on,voltage 12.3 ish and the radiator fan running medium. The fan goes to slow mode, warning light off and dash voltage start to go up. HELP. I thing it is a ground issue in the dash but I don't know why the stop light comes on and why their were no engine codes to indicate that. Any help would be very welcome.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:06 PM   #14
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
Your ground may be feeding through the warning light causing it to lite but not at full brightness. Try pulling one wire off the warning light. IF your voltage stop reading or is very low you have a grounding problem.
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gauges, monaco